Highly rated prop Tomaszczyk signs up

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Worcester Warriors are pleased to today announce the signature of highly rated prop Oliver Tomaszczyk.
Exciting prop prospect Tomaszczyk, previously part of the Newcastle Falcons Academy, has signed a two-year deal at Sixways Stadium. The London-born 23-year-old - nicknamed Tomahawk - will join up with Warriors after completing his studying modern languages at Oxford University.
Tight-head prop Tomaszczyk was previously part of the England Under-18 set-up alongside Tom Wood and Matt Mullan and has also played for Argentinean Division One side Lomas Athletic in 2006
"We're pleased to announce that we've signed tight-head prop Oliver Tomaszczyk. He attracted a lot of interest from other clubs including Munster and so we are delighted that he has chosen the Warriors," said Head Coach Richard Hill.
"Oliver comes to us with a very good pedigree. Over the last few years he's dedicated himself to his studies at Oxford University, culminating in his appearance in the Varsity match in which he was outstanding.
"I know the Oxford University Coach Steve Hill very well as we coached the England Students together and he has excellent judgment."
"I have also been impressed that he has gone off to play in Argentina as part of his personal and academic development. I'm sure that experience of scrummaging in Argentina will help him develop even more quickly."
When commenting on his move to Sixways, Tomaszczyk stated "I am thoroughly looking forward to the challenge ahead, Warriors have traditionally had an intense and physical pack and I plan to contribute towards developing this further."
Tomaszczyk added "the competition at Sixways is impressive and I hope the competition for places will bring out the best in all of us"
http://www.guinnesspremiership.com/news/13768.php

He attracted a lot of interest from other clubs including Munster and so we are delighted that he has chosen the Warriors," said Head Coach Richard Hill.
Perhaps this is true but I find it hard to believe. Put yourself in the players shoes - a team playing in the Championship and another who regularly compete at the latter stages of the Heineken Cup are looking to sign you. The latter have a 48 year old tighthead (John Hayes) and not much behind him. Which team would you choose?!

Perhaps this is true but I find it hard to believe. Put yourself in the players shoes - a team playing in the Championship and another who regularly compete at the latter stages of the Heineken Cup are looking to sign you. The latter have a 48 year old tighthead (John Hayes) and not much behind him. Which team would you choose?!

Not everyone wants to play top level rugby, and tbh he probably doesn't want to go straight from university rugby into a top Heinekin Cup team - at Worcester he'll have a season of division one to break himself in (assuming he gets promoted), if he plays with Munster in their IV he'll be coming up against the likes of Heyman, Domingo, Mas and all the other top players. Dan Cole isn't even starting for Leicester and with props going on for ages nowadays there is no reason to rush into top flight rugby before he's past it - look at Steve Tompson. If I was in the players shoes I wouldn't go straight to Munster as I'd get battered!!!

He might be looking to get into the England squad/Saxons squad in the near future as well, in which case sticking in England would be the right choice

Latest posts