• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hill tipped for England return

B

Bullitt

hill_richy.jpg

Saracens boss Alan Gaffney believes Richard Hill can still play a major part in England's World Cup campaign.

Hill made his first league start for 18 months in Sarries' 20-16 win over Harlequins, and he lasted all but two minutes of the contest.

A bedraggled Hill left the pitch with a worrying limp that suggested his knee problems were still an issue, but Gaffney believes the openside flanker will go from strength to strength.

"Hill was limping a bit at the end but he'll be fine in three or four days," said the Sarries' director of rugby.

"That limp will disappear and it is not necessarily because of the fact he's suffering from it, it's maybe just mental.

"I thought that Hilly was very, very good for us tonight. By self admission he fell off probably more tackles tonight than he's fallen off for a long time.

"He's absolutely on track and his experience would bring a lot to England just because he's Richard Hill."

Sarries came out on top of an entertaining contest at the Twickenham Stoop, scoring a late try through Ben Skirving to claim the points.

The visitors outscored their opponents three tries to one, yet Gaffney accepted Quins deserved more than they got.

"You could say that Harlequins may have deserved to win that game - the plus for us is the fact that we ground out a win," he said.

Quins boss Dean Richards rued a lack of concentration in his side following their seventh league defeat of the season.

"We've played some fancy rugby but we didn't win," moaned Richards.

"I'm frustrated we gave them two soft tries in the first 10 minutes, clawed our way back into position and then with four minutes to go we were in front and were naive enough to give them the ball.

"I thought Richard Hill played well in a very shrewd way. They had a little more cutting edge, their decision-making at the crucial times was better."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...+England+return

Excellent. Apart from him limping off later on, Hill played quite well on his comeback. I really do look forward to seeing him back in the England set up.

The question is though whether he'll be up to the pace after such a long period out of the international game, big step up from club rugby.

Of course he will. He has only been out for roughly a year and he still is young enough to last until RWC 2011 in my book.

The Six Nations coming will show that he is more than up to the task thats being set for him

Latest posts