• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Homosexuals in Rugby Union, your oppinions.

Should homosexuals be aloud to play professional Rugby Union?

• Yes, if they wish to play it then they should.

Votes: 35 94.6%
  • No, the only Rugby they will be playing will be on the Xbox.

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

The_Wol

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Reds
Well TRF, what are your views on Homosexuals playing professional Rugby Union?
I myself have no problem with homosexuals it's their life they can do what they want, but I feel that homosexuals may be deterred from playing rugby simply because of the view that they are gay, so they shouldn't be aloud to play sport with "real" men. If they have a passion for the sport than I say they should be offered the same opportunities as straight men.

I am not homosexual, I don't have a problem with homosexuals. I'm not sure if any play professionally.
And I am interested on your views of the subject.

And yes I am now aware I didn't spell opinions correctly.

An issue that has cropped up in alot of sports recently. Personally I'm fine with it. Fact of the matter is that any player going out on the pitch only has one thing on his mind, victory. It's silly to think that there is any real sexual element to rugby, let be honest, most rugby players are butt ugly. In my opinion it would be close minded to acknowledge any difference between gay and straight players (I find the gay world cup to be a very offensive competition due to it excluding straight players). If you're uncomfortable with the idea of playing rugby with a gay person then don't play. Simple

+1

Who gives a **** honestly.

Total non-issue as far as I am concerned.

There is, or was a homosexual playing Pro already, remember Gareth Thomas? Although he only recently admitted that he's gay.

In a perfect world, a homosexual can play and get involved without any prejudice, but really in the real world, let's be honest, if you know someone is gay in your team, wouldn't you be wondering what runs through his mind at rucks and scrums?

If I was in that position, I would probably have a giggle about it as that thought ran through my mind, and then focus on the rugby.

I think people spend way too much time trying to identify themselves in regards to what they like to do behind closed doors. I'm not getting into preference vs. genetics here, but let's be honest, you can be straight and not rub it in everyone's faces, and you can be gay and not flaunt it around town. I think what people are missing here is civility and social etiquite. If you like to play sports, then the pitch and locker room is the place to be regardless of what other things you may or may not do. People let their insecurities create these massive issues, and this is both sides, straight and gay. Just shut up and play.

A side note: this whole gay rugby thing is exploding. http://www.igrab.net/ Loads of gay rugby clubs popping up. Curious what the attraction to rugby is. Maybe it's the overt manliness? Maybe it's the male comaraderie? Let's not forget some of histories manliest warriors preffered a little male company (Achilles, and Alexander the Great come to mind).

I agree with you Woldog: I have no problem whatsoever with it, in my eyes to say that gay people can't play on your team would be the same as saying that black people aren't allowed to play.

I don't give a flying s*** to be honest. The best example is Garreth Thomas. If a person has the potential of being a good player give him a chance.

Yeah, an Indonesian Rugby Player... :p:D:lol:

You need to read the whole line you!

I just thought about this, we assume homosexuals to be, well male..

BUT, the Australian Women's XV actually has a registered sex offender in their squad, who actually groomed high school girls to be her lesbian lovers... Now.. What about that?

You need to read the whole line you!

I just thought about this, we assume homosexuals to be, well male..

BUT, the Australian Women's XV actually has a registered sex offender in their squad, who actually groomed high school girls to be her lesbian lovers... Now.. What about that?
A night with a couple of girls who take lesbians postures, my phantasm! ^_^

Frankly, who care?

It'd be backwards enough if they banned homosexuals from playing rugby. You'd see a protest or 2 I'm sure. This doesn't really feel like a debate. Just a mutual agreement. Everyone's waiting for that one poster to let slip a homophobic remark just so they can all leap on him, like a pack of horny homos...

It'd be backwards enough if they banned homosexuals from playing rugby. You'd see a protest or 2 I'm sure. This doesn't really feel like a debate. Just a mutual agreement. Everyone's waiting for that one poster to let slip a homophobic remark just so they can all leap on him, like a pack of horny homos...
I like what you did there at the end...

Not a debate I just wanted to know your opinions on the matter, as Rugby is viewed as a "manly" man sport. And gays are usually viewed as nancy boys.

Not a debate I just wanted to know your opinions on the matter, as Rugby is viewed as a "manly" man sport. And gays are usually viewed as nancy boys.
I think that depends if you're a bottom or a top. I don't think you'd call the top a "nancy boy" as he's the one pounding you in the a$$, Woldog.
Can anyone back me up on this? Damn! Wheres Gareth Thomas when you need him? That's right...off playing "league."

My view is nothing new from anyone elses here. When I run into a prop, I'm not thinking "is this guy gay?". It doesn't matter. Whether he enjoys males or females, has no bearing on how he plays the game, and most likely there would be no different reasons for a gay person to play rugby then a streight person...and that's to impress the chicks on the side line...

Roughly 5-10% of the world's population is gay. If that translates to rugby players, should 5-10% of current players be forced to quit the sport due to something which concerns their personnal life and doesn't affect their performance on the field? Of course not. Who cares if somebody is gay or straight.

There's a guy in my team who is openly gay, got a boyfriend and wotnot. It has no bearing on me whenever we train or play. He's one of the hardest guys in the squad (just don't!), orientation is irrelevant.

Latest posts