• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

honest clinical discussion about were rugby video games have gone wright and wrong in the past?

mrky96

Academy Player
just wondering if any body woul;d like to thoroughly discuss the positives and negatives of past n present rugby video games?

i feel like the serious players need to be more opinionated about this in order to curtailed the confused opinions of the casual rugby gamer and the influence thy have over game developers.

i saw the rgby chllnge series fall apart aftr the developers blindly followed the casual gamers advice.

thoughts?

What portion of the audience are "serious"? Unless they represent a large chunk, I'm struggling to see the argument against appealing to the mass market.

What portion of the audience are "serious"? Unless they represent a large chunk, I'm struggling to see the argument against appealing to the mass market.
i would argue tht the serious players are the ones who thoroughly understand the game in and out, so are in the best position to comprehensively critique the game

My personal view is that you can almost solve the causal vs hardcore rugby gamer question with game difficulty and options and it's a non issue.

The real issue is that every game since rugby 08 has had less of an in depth career mode. The world league in rugby 08 was fun/ different. You started with a depleted team and could develop over time. Players had form, fatigue, injuries and you could develop combinations etc.

No other rugby game (apart from the management ones) have half of that. You need more than just a base rugby game to get people to play and continue to play.

I don't think we will see a decent game until world rugby backs it (and they need to), then they should force all nations and leagues to be licensed and get some traction. Every game that comes out just seems half finished, rushed and has no depth to keep people interested.

That's my 2 pence worth.

My personal view is that you can almost solve the causal vs hardcore rugby gamer question with game difficulty and options and it's a non issue.

The real issue is that every game since rugby 08 has had less of an in depth career mode. The world league in rugby 08 was fun/ different. You started with a depleted team and could develop over time. Players had form, fatigue, injuries and you could develop combinations etc.

No other rugby game (apart from the management ones) have half of that. You need more than just a base rugby game to get people to play and continue to play.

I don't think we will see a decent game until world rugby backs it (and they need to), then they should force all nations and leagues to be licensed and get some traction. Every game that comes out just seems half finished, rushed and has no depth to keep people interested.

That's my 2 pence worth.
sure i played a career mode a hell of a lot on rgby 08 i always remember hopping tht certain teams would offer me a contract, i just didnt enjoy 08 enough as ther was no rucking in the game, which was one of its only flaws, but it was a massive flaw

sure i played a career mode a hell of a lot on rgby 08 i always remember hopping tht certain teams would offer me a contract, i just didnt enjoy 08 enough as ther was no rucking in the game, which was one of its only flaws, but it was a massive flaw
The key is not to focus on what rugby 08 didn't have as it's far from the perfect game. The point I was making is that every game since has had a very bland and watered down career mode.

You can't even attempt to attract a broad audience if your career mode is simple, dumbed down and I'd say very bland in most cases.

It's not like it's that he's to do, adding in player progression, form, squad rotation etc.

i would argue tht the serious players are the ones who thoroughly understand the game in and out, so are in the best position to comprehensively critique the game
Maybe, but why do you think that this critique is useful to developers? Why would they prioritise the needs of a small proportion of their market over the large majority of their customer base?

I think a serious issue is rugby is run by a bunch of old farts stuck in the past with limited interest in growing the sport. Every major sport has extra stuff that goes with it, with a huge market for games. World Rugby seems to have zero interest in growing the sport this way. I don't follow basketball or ice hockey but have played games for both.

Maybe, but why do you think that this critique is useful to developers? Why would they prioritise the needs of a small proportion of their market over the large majority of their customer base?
because we are the core customers of the franchise and i feel tht if they just stuck to the fundamentals of the game and at least get them right then we all have a hlf decent rugby game, eg whn customers of rc complained tht there wer backs going into the break down in rc rc2 rc3 and as a result wer not in the backline , rc4 made it so backs couldnt secure the ball by forming a ruck. this made it unrealistic and made the game very irritating. and the funny thing was tht if customers just read the manual thy wuld of relised tht if thy didnt want bcks in the breakdwn all thy had to do was just push a diffrnt button [ps x is quick bind[bcks join ruk] o is heavy bind [4wrds join ruk]] essentialy all thy needed to do to make rc4 a great game was a] fix bugs b] add attacking plays off pods like in rugby 21 [not back line moves from the 2000s no teams do those any more ] c] update the graphics which thy did...well done. other thn tht i think rc was already a pretty good game .

Latest posts