• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hooker questions

S

sportsguy138

I'm having trouble in the scrum hooking the ball. I feel a lot more comfortable using my right leg on our scrum, but I'm a short guy and I feel that to be able to get to the ball before the other hook does I have to use my left foot and I'm not as good with my accuracy. Wondering if anyone has any tips about that and on how to try to win a scrum that isn't yours.

Another question also. Against some teams it seems like it hurts more on my neck/traps on the engage. Is this because of the force everyone's putting into the push, or the way the hooker goes into it?

Help is appreciated!

I'm having trouble in the scrum hooking the ball. I feel a lot more comfortable using my right leg on our scrum, but I'm a short guy and I feel that to be able to get to the ball before the other hook does I have to use my left foot and I'm not as good with my accuracy. Wondering if anyone has any tips about that and on how to try to win a scrum that isn't yours.

Another question also. Against some teams it seems like it hurts more on my neck/traps on the engage. Is this because of the force everyone's putting into the push, or the way the hooker goes into it?

Help is appreciated! [/b]

When you begin to pack down, turn your body slightly to where the ball comes in. This will give you the angle that you can strike the ball by shooting your leg out and stopping / cutting accross the opposite hooker's strike!

I use both feet when I play hooker, it all depends on what the opposition hooker does! Id recommened to always strike with your strongest foot.

For the second question id say its both. Make sure you hit the scrum hard on the engage! And make sure you stretch your neck and back well before a game also!

Thanks for the help!

I understand when you say strike with your strong foot. But is there a way I can use my right foot without losing that much space between how easy it would be with my left compared to my right because of where it is positioned?

I think your right about the neck and back and after our last couple of games I've been hurting a lot because of that. How do you recommend on stretching the back, though?

Thanks for the help!

I understand when you say strike with your strong foot. But is there a way I can use my right foot without losing that much space between how easy it would be with my left compared to my right because of where it is positioned?

I think your right about the neck and back and after our last couple of games I've been hurting a lot because of that. How do you recommend on stretching the back, though? [/b]

There's two ways to strech your back

1. Lay flat on the ground and lift your uper body until you feel it stretching, hold for 10 and then gently go back down. Do this a number of times!
2. Grap a partner, he bends over and so do you, you link arms, and he pulls you onto each others backs and stretches it. (Sounds gay but works)

Yea as I said about positioning, as you are in the crouch position / set postion turn your body slightly to face the channel were the ball comes in, when the ball comes in strike your leg straight out, because you are on an angle it will cut off the opposition hooker strike and as you have just stuck ur leg out it should easily hit the boot and go under the 2nd rows legs!

Alright. I'm not too sure how it will be but I guess I'll have to really try it out to find out. Doing this, will this change the way my props hold me, engage?

Alright. I'm not too sure how it will be but I guess I'll have to really try it out to find out. Doing this, will this change the way my props hold me, engage? [/b]

No

p_front_row1105.jpg

At this position just slightly turn ur body!

Front-row-Dixon-Quins-06010.jpg

You can see the hooker's body is slighty rotated as it should be!

Alright cool. I'll try it out and see how it works. Thanks for the help!

If anyone else has suggestions, please feel free to add!

I've got another way to stretch your back, my chiropractor showed me.
Sit on a chair, take your right hand and place it under your right foots arch. You should have 4 fingers under the arch, with your thumb pointing backwards. Pull up with your right hand, you should feel your mid and upper back stretching. Do this with your left hand side as well.

You have to have confidence in your props and slightly release yourself from your bindings to hook with your left foot. I know that recent laws have slightly devalued the hit but try to ensure you really plant both your feet and smash your opponent when you engage, this will give you a good chance to get comfortable and also a psychological advantage over your opposite number. Also on his ball try to get your head underneath his sternum and drive in an upwards motion to cause maximum discomfort, then when its your turn you probably wont even need to hook for the ball.

You have to have confidence in your props and slightly release yourself from your bindings to hook with your left foot. I know that recent laws have slightly devalued the hit but try to ensure you really plant both your feet and smash your opponent when you engage, this will give you a good chance to get comfortable and also a psychological advantage over your opposite number. Also on his ball try to get your head underneath his sternum and drive in an upwards motion to cause maximum discomfort, then when its your turn you probably wont even need to hook for the ball.
[/b]

Thanks for the other stretch.

Alright, I'll see how this works.

Why wouldn't you need to hook for the ball though?

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Thanks for the other stretch.

Alright, I'll see how this works.

Why wouldn't you need to hook for the ball though?
[/b][/quote]
you wont need to hook for the ball because your opponent wont be able to either and your scrum half should always feed the ball slightly crookedly so you will win the ball anyway.

Had a game since I asked this and loved the advice. Winning the ball is a lot easier for me now. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts