• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hosea gear signs with Chiefs

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
[h=3]Talented former All Black and Super Rugby centurion Hosea Gear has signed with the Chiefs.[/h]Talented former All Black and Super Rugby centurion Hosea Gear has signed with the Chiefs for the next Investec Super Rugby season.
The 30 year old winger is currently playing at the Honda Club in Japan and will return to New Zealand early in February 2015 at the conclusion of his club season.
The outstanding winger who will join forces with Sonny Bill Williams is expected to provide impact both on and off the field for the Chiefs.
Chiefs coach Dave Rennie said “Hosea ticks all the boxes. He's a good man, very professional and experienced. He's also a hell of a player, powerful, quick and a quality finisher. We are really looking forward to working with Hosea next season.â€
The dynamic back is looking forward to returning back home.

“I'd like to thank the Chiefs for giving me the opportunity to return to New Zealand and be a part of their goals and the team for the season ahead.

I'm looking forward to playing in my home country again in front of New Zealand supporters, family and friends, and being involved in the great Chiefs culture that I've heard much about,†said Gear.

Chiefs Chief Executive Officer Andrew Flexman believes that Gear’s signing is an important one for the Club.
“Hosea is a class act who will add a great deal of value to the Chiefs family in all area’s which is why we were so keen to have him in our club.â€
Gisborne born Gear has played 14 games for the All Blacks, represented the New Zealand Maori, the New Zealand Seven’s team (winning a Commonwealth Games Gold Medal in 2010), New Zealand U21’s and U19’s.
He has played Investec Super Rugby for the Highlanders and Hurricanes and Provincial Rugby for Poverty Bay, North Harbour and Wellington.

article here

Looking good for the Chiefs

Always felt he had more to give to NZ rugby, and that his departure was premature.
Then again, maybe the break will do him good. Will be exciting to see him back in NZ and possibly the ABs.

good deal.

With Tiko gone chiefs really needed a quality winger. Gear will be a good fit for the chiefs. Its unlikely he would be an All Black starter but there does seem to be a spot in the quad thats not tied down.

I'm still keeping my eye out for news of Richard Kahui. There is still talk of him coming back and there is room for him at the chiefs.

Kind of disappointed that the Chiefs have picked him up instead of the Hurricanes - I like to see players stick to one franchise as much as possible (which is why I was not a fan of the Highlanders a couple of seasons ago).

Like larksea, I'm waiting on news about Kahui.

Kind of disappointed that the Chiefs have picked him up instead of the Hurricanes - I like to see players stick to one franchise as much as possible (which is why I was not a fan of the Highlanders a couple of seasons ago).

Like larksea, I'm waiting on news about Kahui.

The problem with signing with the Canes is that they already have 2 ABs wings (though I suppose Jane could play fullback) so there wasn't a guaranteed starting spot for him. I suppose you could say there isn't a guaranteed starting spot for him at the Chiefs either though (despite the fact he will clearly be their best wing) as the Chiefs like to change their backline every week..

Anyways....a great signing for the Chiefs IMO. He will certainly be on the ABs selectors radar too. I don't think the ABs would pick two specislist left wings in their squad, but if Savea was injured I would bring Gear in (possibly straight into the starting lineup...).

Great news for the Chiefs, we need a good winger and with SBW making line breaks he could end up seeing a lot of ball.

Just need a fit Kahui and that would be epic.

kinda interesting his AB prospects.

At his best he was only a regular All Black selection for a short period of time. He never really nailed down a starting spot for more than a few weeks at a time.

But right now in NZ we are actually a bit thin on actual wingers good enough to play test footy.

We have Savea, good yes and hes arguably the best 11 in the world

Then we have a whole bunch of fullbacks who fill in as wingers were required (in there pecking order):
Ben Smith
Cory Jane
Charles Piutau

Then we have a couple of guys who have been in and out or used if there has been an injury.
Frank Halai
Patrick Osborne

I like Frank but I dont think he has much of a test career ahead of him. Osborne is a bloody good player but not tried at test level.

Gear could potentially be the best injury cover for Savea and Easily leapfrog Frank and Osborne because of his experience.

BUT: I look at 2011 WC and the blueprint for the type of wingers NZ needs to win a World Cup. Cory Jane and Richard Kahui. Kahui in particular, superb under the high ball and on defense, great on attack, great kick and a decision maker.

I think a Fit and in form Piutau would probably edge Gear to make the All Blacks squad, and there is still the prospect of Kahui Returning. Even though Kahui is a midfielder he seemed to be able to become the perfect test winger because he has ALL the skills plus the speed and size.

Piutau/Kahui for a right winger and Smith and Dagg(if in form) as fullbacks.

Well as some may know, I'm a reasonably big fan of Hosea Gear.

As such this is very positive news I feel. I'm glad he didn't come back to the Hurricanes as I'm not sure he'd edge out either of Savea (who is probably the best 11 in the world) or Cory Jane (who I'd probably prefer Gear, but Jane isn't half bad either, especially at 14).

AND I think he will tear up for the Chiefs. They play a very good wide game. Both Cruden and SBW are brilliant at getting assists through the off-load, which I think Gear will really benefit off, while they are generally good at providing space for their outside backs. Finally, he'll be by far and away their best winger. Tikoirotuma was a pretty decent winger, made tackles (when he didn't fly into them and miss), was very quick, relatively safe under the high ball, but he didn't exactly create much from nothing. I think Gear will be excellent, here's hoping he gets some playing time this Rugby World Cup!

nice, good signing for the Chiefs. You'll see NZ, he's a very good winger....trust me on that ;)

nice, good signing for the Chiefs. You'll see NZ, he's a very good winger....trust me on that ;)

He's an awesome winger.

His problem is he was generally our 3rd or 4th best winger most of the time.

Can't help but feel like he will do very very well at the chiefs in combination with SBW, Cruden & Co.

Always great to see Southern Hemisphere players returning to Super Rugby but I can't really see him getting into the AB match day team. He will be very handy for the Chiefs and with SBW back too, my money is on the Chiefs getting back on top of the NZ Conference in 2015.

Latest posts