TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
samoa-Adelaide-Oval_2568710.jpg

The pools have been announced for the Australian International Rugby Sevens in Adelaide, the sixth leg of the Sevens World Series.

The tournament will be played at the city's historic Adelaide Oval on 2-3 April, one week after the Hong Kong Sevens, with hosts Australia drawn in a tough pool alongside Fiji, USA and Tonga.

At the halfway stage in the Sevens World Series, New Zealand and England are tied on 80 points at the top of the standings.

Fiji and Samoa lie just 16 points behind on 64, the most recent Cup champions South Africa are still well in contention on 56 and Australia head the rest of the chasing pack on 36 heading for Hong Kong and Adelaide.

Joint Series leaders New Zealand and England head Pools A and B respectively in Adelaide. Eight-time World Series winners New Zealand face matches on day one against Kenya, Wales and the first of the regional qualifiers, Cook Islands.

England missed out on the Cup final for the first time this season in Las Vegas and will be looking to kick-start their season in Pool B with opening matches against Argentina, Scotland and Papua New Guinea.

USA Sevens runners-up Fiji head Pool C and face three tough matches against host nation Australia, USA and Tonga.

Having won the Cup ***le in Las Vegas, their first since winning in Adelaide in April 2009, South Africa head Pool D. The resurgant Boks face defending Adelaide and World Series champions Samoa as well as France and Japan.

"The Adelaide Oval is a special place for the teams to compete, steeped as it is in history and tradition, and the event there also has a habit of illustrating just how competitive Rugby Sevens has become, with Kenya and the USA reaching the Cup final in the last two years," commented IRB Sevens Manager, Beth Coalter.

"Interestingly, neither of the two sides currently leading the World Series, New Zealand and England, have ever won there so we can expect more drama and excitement at the Adelaide Oval. The weekend is sure to go a long way towards shaping the Series one week after the events of Hong Kong."

Pool A
New Zealand
Kenya
Wales
Cook Islands

Pool B
England
Argentina
Scotland
Papua New Guinea

Pool C
Fiji
Australia
United States
Tonga

Pool D
South Africa
Samoa
France
Japan

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6786401,00.html

man Fiji have such a hard pool, Australia have been really good this season and being the hosts should only make them harder, Tonga came close with Samoa last week so they won't be easy beats either and USA have been improving too and can cause an upset against anyone on their day. not a single easy beat team in fiji's pool imo

The US have been pretty rank this season, but not as rank as **drum roll**

... Scotland

45-7 loss to England? **** off, some of the 'skills' on display in that game have convinced me that even I could play international rugby

Japan leading SA 12-0 at HT now, lol

only been watching Fiji's games in between the Super Rugby, haven't really seen any of the other teams, but damn Tonga were playing so dirty against Fiji i can't believe it, high tackle after high tackle in the first half

i saw some of the Japan vs Samoa game, Japan were doing so well before samoa ran away with it late, Samoa don't seem to be playing as well only beating France 19-12, but it can all change on the 2nd day

Last edited:
congrats to nz and sa, as soon as i saw frankie horn's name in the starting line up i shuddered coz fiji alway have trouble tackling him. guys like nacagilevu and tiwai might be brilliant on attack but it showed in the sa game when they're up against bigger players they're a big weakness on defence, its not really their fault because those guys are so light and nacagilevu is so good on attack i understand why they put him in the team, but i think they should have subbed off the smaller fijian players for the south africa game when the style changed like that. i was really disappointed in the loss to wales though fiji just went to sleep for the last minute thinking they won it.

Latest posts