• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How can 7's make the most of this Olympic exposure?

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
Thinking about last night.

How can 7's make sure that this exposure isn't wasted for 4 years?

Esp the Womens game.

Looking at it from a UK I mean could there be a market for a joint RFU and PRL series that would be between June and September to fill in the summer void could work out maybe for men and women.

USA and Canada could do with something similar esp in the college leagues, a College series during the school term with the better players being picked/drafted for regional club competitions etc being played in the summer.

Would be interesting to see how the Womens league would develop IMO esp with this play like a Girl stuff that Sure etc are peddling there might actually be a market for it.

I know that the Womens NFL league disbanded after like 2 seasons, but times have changed and rugby is easier to watch for a casual fan POV IMO esp 7, and contact sport seems to be more appealing in women market with a women Ice hockey league now set up and a Womens pro Lacrosse league.

With it being an olympic sport the funding and the market might suddenly be there.

7s at the Olympics is such a perfect way to get exposure for the game. It's entertaining to watch because of how fast paced it is and there are going to be large numbers of people watching it who may have never even heard of rugby.

I think there's definitely a market for the women's game as from what I've seen, the women usually play better running rugby than the men.

It'll be interesting to see how the women's game develops. The 16 Pro contracts given in England show that it is definitely developing so if the Olympics can get the sport being played in a financial giant like America then it'll be great for the expansion of the game.

1. Ensure people can watch top flight games - that means making tv deals with broadcasters who most people actually have access to, not second rate ESPN 25 that no-one has or wants. That's internationals and elite domestic leagues.

2. Make sure people can access the sport - let them know that they can play anything from mixed touch, to full on professional 15's.

3. Try to support ventures like PRO Rugby, which actually invest in the sport in alignment with WR infrastructure.

How can 7's make the most of this Olympic exposure?
Broadcast (non-cable) games at reasonable times in Europe/RSA first (biggest bulk of viewers), East coast time zone second (most of the americas can adjust to that) and make sure you advertise them properly.

I can't really comment on the women's side of things but I think World Rugby have been doing great with their 7s series internationally when you look at the crowds, the venues and the competitive teams from diverse tier 2 & 3 nations like Kenya, US and Scotland (before anyone else says it!) who all won rounds this year.

I'd be reluctant for 7s to gain too much strength domestically though, most domestic leagues are far weaker comercially than the international scene - so I'd argue they can't afford to compete with 7s or dilute their overall rugby product.

Also I think cricket created a monster with the shorter formats and they have fundamentally weakened, dumbed down and undermined the original Test format of the sport. World Rugby seem to be smarter and keen to keep Test rugby as the pinnacle. Their motive seems primarily to use 7s as a vehicle for expanding the global reach of the sport (and possibly making it easier for schools and kids) but keeping the big international contests as strictly a 15-a-side affair.

I'm pretty happy with that balance to be honest so I'm going to be frightfully boring and say we don't need a radical change. Maybe change the 7s series to have a core 10 teams that travel the world and have the rest made up of regional international sides depending on the location of the weekend.

Last edited:
I don't think that 7's can compete with the domestic game, fundamentally.

i know some of the tournaments have a second tier international tournament but I think it would be cool if they ran a "B" world series where tier 2 & 3 nations can get some more exposure and their players can get reps against better opponents

7s in schools would go a long way but considering we didn't play rugby unless you wanted to play for the school team it's not that easy.

But it would be a lot easier to control for a PE teacher. Plus I'd bring back segregated lessons as that was a key reason we didn't play.

7s makes me sad though. I don't want it to catch on. The whole point of rugby is that it is for all shapes and sizes. That's the opposite of 7s. I fear the southern Hem entertainment boys will slowly try and push 15s out and just have 7s

I might just be tired though

Wonder if USA rugby 7's starts to pick up if Tebow will finally be lured.

In terms of pull factor he would be the biggest Face in the USA that rugby could attract.

(that when he Baseball career fails)

7s makes me sad though. I don't want it to catch on. The whole point of rugby is that it is for all shapes and sizes. That's the opposite of 7s. I fear the southern Hem entertainment boys will slowly try and push 15s out and just have 7s

I might just be tired though

Umm, what? It's pretty obvious that the NZRU has put minimal effort in 7s since it becoming an Olympic sport.

I'm watching 7's on tv right now and it makes me wonder if penalty's and cards are more easily given in 7's. Atleast that's how it looks to me.

Latest posts