• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How come Piri Weepu doesn't ever seem to start for the ABs?

I think Henry/Smith both back Weepu 100%, after all they were the ones that picked him for the all blacks when he still was a virtual no-one.
Weepu doesnt start matches because he is not as mobile or as quick as Cowan and Leonard and at the start of an International you need to be mobile, agile an explosive. Weepu is mobile, agile and explosive but not as much as Cowan and Leonard.
The reason why you need to be these 3 things is mainly for defence. The halfback, like the flankers, needs to be a leader in defence and be able to chase down any halfbreaks made around rucks or mauls (i.e George Greagan). At the start to the halftime the game at international level is quicker then the second half and its good to have a half to suit the pace. I've seen Weepu play hundreds of times and his defence is good but not as sticky as Cowans he also lacks the explosive speed to catch a Januarie or Leonard. This is the reason why he does not start for the AB's.
However Weepu has a good kicking game, strong on his feet and is probably the most likely to break defences of the three. At a time when opposition players are huffin and puffin and muscles are sore, Weepu is good man to bring on. Maybe he should throw more timely dummies or just run it a bit more.

Latest posts