• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How do I get into rugby?

spuitpoep

Academy Player
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Argentina
I want to play for fun but I have no experience or athletic ability. How does one get involved when you're over 30? Any club obviously wouldn't have me.

It depends - a lot of the bigger clubs (in England, at least) have numerous teams going from fairly competitive 1 XV's down to 5th and even 6th teams where they are just there for a bit of fun.
Perhaps finding a touch rugby club/event would be the next best thing.

I want to play for fun but I have no experience or athletic ability. How does one get involved when you're over 30? Any club obviously wouldn't have me.

Not true at all!

My club, Bromley RFC, has a veterans team many of whom are over 40, they are still trying to get me to run out and I am 48, and 4 regular teams. And, I know of several other clubs in the area which have similar setups.

Look in your local area find one or two clubs and pop along and have a chat I am sure you will find something for your level even if to start its a bit of training and some tackling drills.

For the most part rugby at club\amateur level is very much about the taking part as much as results

Last edited:
I played a bit in NL there is a lot of clubs and the standard ranges from rubbish to very good. However most of them have vets or social teams that would be happy to involve someone of your standard.

Where in NL are you located, let me know and i'll let you know if i know of any clubs as i still know a few people up there.

Alternatively check: http://www.rugby.nl/ they should be able to point you int eh direction of getting started, or you should be able to find a local club there.

Not true at all!

My club, Bromley RFC, has a veterans team many of whom are over 40, they are still trying to get me to run out and I am 48, and 4 regular teams. And, I know of several other clubs in the area which have similar setups.

Look in your local area find one or two clubs and pop along and have a chat I am sure you will find something for your level even if to start its a bit of training and some tackling drills.

For the most part rugby at club\amateur level is very much about the taking part as much as results

agreed! I stopped playing for 4 years or so due to a back injury and i went back to it in my early 30's - there were guys in their late 30's/early 40's giving the sport a go int he lower teams.

Latest posts