How do you pronounce in English?

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Hi lads, in this thread you are going to help me improve my English pronunciation. Let's start with rugby words, names or surnames rugby players because this is a rugby forum. Then.

Henry Speight. How do you pronounce "Speight"?

Like Henry "Space"?

or

Like Henry "S-Pie"?

its pronounced like Eight but with Sp at the front, so like Henry 'Sp-Eight', I think, if I'm wrong then I did win the Dubya award for no reason. Unfortunately :(

Thanks lads! And what about Will Genia? GENIA

Is like Will "Kenya"

or

is like Will "Gin"?

More like Kenya, a hard "G" like in Agulla.

But "ee-ah" instead of "yah"

Nah, in Spanish the 'G' would said like a 'H'. It's a hard G.

Genn - Ee - Ah.
Genny-A!

Thought it was a J that sounded like an H in Spanish? Certainly the town of Jalon is pronounced "Halon" as my parents used to live there.

Thought it was a J that sounded like an H in Spanish? Certainly the town of Jalon is pronounced "Halon" as my parents used to live there.

Whoops, you're right!
My old Spanish teacher would be mortified :lol:

Middle Class post of the day!

:)

mmmmyezzz !!!...meh meh meh meh !

monocle%28highsociety%29%281%29.jpg

Nah, in Spanish the 'G' would said like a 'H'. It's a hard G.

Genn - Ee - Ah.
Genny-A!

Does anyone know how Genia himself pronounces his last name?

I've always said 'Gen-ee-ya' but the odd commentator from Oz says 'Jen-ee-ya'. Now I know the Australian commentators butcher foreign names all the time, but I figure they should be somewhat aware of how to pronounce their local players' names.

Does anyone know how Genia himself pronounces his last name?

I've always said 'Gen-ee-ya' but the odd commentator from Oz says 'Jen-ee-ya'. Now I know the Australian commentators butcher foreign names all the time, but I figure they should be somewhat aware of how to pronounce their local players' names.

The pronunciation of Aussie English is different than British English and American English, right?

The pronunciation of Aussie English is different than British English and American English, right?

Yes and no. Different accents mean pronunciation can differ from country to country. I think the Americans actively seek to pronounce things differently (because America), but by and large any differences between NZ/AU and England are to do with general vocal tones. NZ 'English' is probably the closest tone to English 'English'. Kiwis say Auck-lind, Aussies say Auck-land.

Regardless, there shouldn't be such massive differences as converting a soft 'g' to a hard 'g'.

Yes and no. Different accents mean pronunciation can differ from country to country. I think the Americans actively seek to pronounce things differently (because America), but by and large any differences between NZ/AU and England are to do with general vocal tones. NZ 'English' is probably the closest tone to English 'English'. Kiwis say Auck-lind, Aussies say Auck-land.

Regardless, there shouldn't be such massive differences as converting a soft 'g' to a hard 'g'.

you're right, the difference between england, nz, and aus is mainly tone. also people from adelaide sound more like kiwis/british than the rest of australia does. i'm not sure if it's true but I was told that adelaide's settlement wasn't a convict settlement. neither was new zealand's so perhaps there is some truth in that.

Most historians believe that North American accents are actually much closer to how English was spoken in the past than modern day English ones. For instance the non-Rhotic accents (lack of r's) actually is post colonial and originated from England. I think you've got it backwards.

Most historians believe that North American accents are actually much closer to how English was spoken in the past than modern day English ones. For instance the non-Rhotic accents (lack of r's) actually is post colonial and originated from England. I think you've got it backwards.

That claim is made quite often, but not really true. Consider the breadth of 'American' and 'British' accents.
In reality, both have seen great changes and none are really 'closer' to the past language, as it has always been changing. Living conditions, culture changes, etc all contribute to this. The United States saw huge immigration from dozens of countries, all contributing to the accent.