• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How many users are fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although you might not be too happy with a forum that was so overrun with spambots trying to register that they start to affect it performance.

ActiveUsrs.png

Note the arrowed figure above ... 160 Guests. These are a number of things, including TRF membrs logging in, or having just logged out and who still have a browser open at the site, as well as "genuine" web crawlers and bots such as Binbgbot, Majestic12 and Googlebot etc, but a significant proportion of those guests are spambots trying to register, and usually failing at the random question. If that number gets up in the tens of thousands, then the forum admins could have a serious problem on their hands.

There have been times in the past where it has been my opinion that spambots as guests have caused the site to run slow.

I have been an admin on TRF for eleven years and owned the place for eight. Spambots and registration software are locked in an never ending battle and have been ever since I can remember and probably will be until a more effective way to nuke the spambot issue comes about.

We do our best and if one gets through, it gets nailed.

And fat, and money grabbing.
;)

Jealously, will get you everywhere, but you have to get out of your hole first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if the Blighty are paupers and cannot afford to pay decent living wages it is no fault our ours, no wonder all the best players come to the Land of Milk and Honey with a sh** President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just deleted a fake account today guys!!!!

Got a snarky PM from a purported Canadian member called Huzzah telling me I was wasting my time at TRF, and that I wasn't a proud Tier 2er because I wasn't at another board(the link in his attachment was dead but I think I know the one he was referring to).

It seemed really suspicious so I checked the IP address number and the IP address registration matched up with another TRF user......BASCO!!!

Well that's one fake account deleted, I'm sure you'll be pleased with my hustle on that one Basco.......and now for some good old negging!!!!

Last edited:
I browse the board using a proxy as the uni's internet is a pain in the bum and it's blocking a lot of pages:

@ TRF_LittleGuy
sounds like you need to harden up a little :D

I browse the board using a proxy as the uni's internet is a pain in the bum and it's blocking a lot of pages:

@ TRF_LittleGuy
sounds like you need to harden up a little :D

And that proxy is the same IP address as another recent joiner to the forum and wrote to me in the exact same tone and style as you do? Seems unlikely. Seriously mate just stop while your ahead, you've been a bit of a cock to staff since you joined, I could have taken formal action for the duplicate account but I let it slide and just had a laugh with the membership about it on here, as it was pretty ironic you were trashing us for not searching through fake accounts meanwhile had one set up yourself.

And that proxy is the same IP address as another recent joiner to the forum and wrote to me in the exact same tone and style as you do? Seems unlikely. Seriously mate just stop while your ahead, you've been a bit of a cock to staff since you joined, I could have taken formal action for the duplicate account but I let it slide and just had a laugh with the membership about it on here, as it was pretty ironic you were trashing us for not searching through fake accounts meanwhile had one set up yourself.

I say ban Basco!! It's clear he has some sort of vendetta, and he's the one that started this thread. Being a cock to staff who does a lot of work without much gratuity from regular members is uncalled for.

Let Basco get the same treatment as so many assholes before him.

I say ban Basco!! It's clear he has some sort of vendetta, and he's the one that started this thread. Being a cock to staff who does a lot of work without much gratuity from regular members is uncalled for.

Let Basco get the same treatment as so many assholes before him.

Let's not go overboard now.

Let's not go overboard now.

was totally aiming for that, but I'm so secretly terrified of being banned I decided to just uh, like, stfu. :p

ERR I MEAN, YEAAAHHHHH !!!! HOW 'BOUT A HAND FOR THEM STAFF MEMBERS ??!! HUH ??!!! ....

*large sweat drop dripping from left temp*

One discussion forum I'm on doesn't allow any registrations from 'free' e-mail accounts (like hotmail, outlook, yahoo, google, etc), they only permit registrations that are connected to a paid e-mail account (the e-mail associate with your internet provider). This doesn't work, however, if people only access the net through the library, or other means which do not require having a paid internet provider. I will say that it works very well for the site, but most users are in the States and Canada, not sure how something like that would work for international users.

das

That sound terrible. I'd never pay for an email account.

That sound terrible. I'd never pay for an email account.
This. I move often, so a paid provider, such as cable, is never constant.
I have kept the same gmail, hotmail accounts for six years though.

Now anonymous/disposable emails do get a second look when I find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts