• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How much do rugby tickets cost in NZ?

W

wayner

How much for S14 games and how much for test matches? As a point of comparison ice hockey tickets here in Toronto for our NHL team go from about C$75-$225 (NZ$100-$300) and teams play 41 home games per year- this is pretty much the most expensive tickets in hockey but the team has sold out all 18,000 tickets for every game for decades. Other cities in Canada have tickets prices that are somewhat more moderate but not all that much less. Prices for playoff tickets go up substantially but we haven't had to worry about that in Toronto since we haven't made the playoffs in a few years. This makes it prohibitively expensive for all but the very wealthy to take the entire family to games. Pretty much all of the best seats are owned by corporations for entertaining clients.

I am assuming that rugby tickets in NZ are somewhat cheaper?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Aug 5 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How much for S14 games and how much for test matches? As a point of comparison ice hockey tickets here in Toronto for our NHL team go from about C$75-$225 (NZ$100-$300) and teams play 41 home games per year- this is pretty much the most expensive tickets in hockey but the team has sold out all 18,000 tickets for every game for decades. Other cities in Canada have tickets prices that are somewhat more moderate but not all that much less. Prices for playoff tickets go up substantially but we haven't had to worry about that in Toronto since we haven't made the playoffs in a few years. This makes it prohibitively expensive for all but the very wealthy to take the entire family to games. Pretty much all of the best seats are owned by corporations for entertaining clients.

I am assuming that rugby tickets in NZ are somewhat cheaper?[/b]

The word is that they will average NZ$750 for the final. Therefore prime seats will be well over NZ$1000 for the final. Tickets for the likes of Tonga vs Canada and Asia 1 vs Canada are expected to start at NZ$10. A bargain!

I am not in New Zealand but here is an article that may help you:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article....jectid=10562870

In Wellington an average Tri Nations test match is round $60 for the cheapest tickets. For Super 14 it is roughly $30.

$30 is roughly £10.50 in pound I think, which isn;t actually bad. Tickets for the CardiffBlues are usually round £16 for the stands, and a bit less for the terraces. That's gonn change now as the new stadium is an all seater. It's usually a little bit more for Heineken Cup matches though.
$60 (£21) seems really cheap for an international to me! I payed something like £50 for Wales v New Zealand and Wales v Australia last autumn.

I have $65 tickets to the springboks all blacks game in hamilton. Theyre in the stands too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Aug 6 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have $65 tickets to the springboks all blacks game in hamilton. Theyre in the stands too.[/b]

What were the prices for the two Springboks vs All Blacks games in South Africa? I heard there were still tickets left for them in the week leading up to first test?

Thanks for the info. I won't be sticking around for the RWC final - I will likely attend the Canada vs Asia1 game in Napier on Sep 27 and then Canada vs. NZ in Wellington on Oct. 2.

I just went to the Air New Zealand Cup Wellington vs Otago game in the weekend and for Platinum Covered it cost $37 Platinum Uncovered $27 I'm not really sure about the others because I usually go Platinum Covered/Uncovered. I went to 3 games during the Super14 and for Platinum Covered it was $55 unsure of uncovered.

I haven't been to a test in the Westpac stadium yet so not sure I've only gone to one when Athletic Park was still around but we had free season tickets from my uncles boss so not sure how much we would of had to pay. I think it's around $80-$120 for an adult to test matches and about $50-$80 for kids.

The ticket price for the finals of NZ$750 is about half the price for the soccer world cup as they will cost US$900 which is close to NZ$1400.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Aug 7 2009, 01:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
$30 is roughly £10.50 in pound I think, which isn;t actually bad. Tickets for the CardiffBlues are usually round £16 for the stands, and a bit less for the terraces. That's gonn change now as the new stadium is an all seater. It's usually a little bit more for Heineken Cup matches though.
$60 (£21) seems really cheap for an international to me! I payed something like £50 for Wales v New Zealand and Wales v Australia last autumn.[/b]
The beauty of the exchange rate. I think people will come to New Zealand and be amazed at how little the spend when they are here. It's incredibly cheap for anyone coming from the UK/France.

$40 for the cheapest tickets in the NZ - SA match in Hamilton. Can't remember how much it cost for Super 14 matches, but it wasn't much.

Why are the tickets so cheap - is that all the market will bear given the small population of NZ? Increasing ticket prices for test matches and S14 would give the NZRU more money to compete with NH clubs, but I guess there is a limit to what you can charge in a market of 4 million, even if they are all rugby supporters.

Guess prices are the cheapest here in Georgia

One ticket costs from 80 cents to 1,8o USD (converted in USD, otherwise we have Lari)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Aug 6 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
$60 (£21) seems really cheap for an international to me! I payed something like £50 for Wales v New Zealand and Wales v Australia last autumn.[/b]
Yeah, but on the other hand, I payed £15 to see Wales Vs Canada last year. So they're usually not that dear.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Aug 10 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Aug 6 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, but on the other hand, I payed £15 to see Wales Vs Canada last year. So they're usually not that dear.
[/b][/quote]

Ah yeah I did hear that they were pretty cheap. I guess it depends on who they're playing. I've payed £30 for Wales v Argentina before the World Cup, and £16 for Wales v Japan during the World Cup.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Aug 10 2009, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why are the tickets so cheap - is that all the market will bear given the small population of NZ? Increasing ticket prices for test matches and S14 would give the NZRU more money to compete with NH clubs, but I guess there is a limit to what you can charge in a market of 4 million, even if they are all rugby supporters.[/b]
You pretty much summed it up. If the tickets were too much higher then a lot of lower income earners could not afford it. This could then turn those people away from the game. If the tickets were too high people just wouldn't show up. It's the fans that keep the game going, not the NZRU.

I think it depends on where it's being played too because I remember paying $55 at the Westpac Stadium to watch the Hurricanes vs Bulls (super14) than the week after hearing that Chiefs games were $30 in the stands I couldn't beleive it I got ripped off $25. I could of nearly got me 2 tickets to go see those damn Chiefs in Hamilton.

Children 12 and under are all free in Wellington this Air New Zealand Cup so that's cool. I remember staying up in Auckland a while ago and they were charging $10 for everybody it didn't matter where you sat it was all the same but that was 3 seasons back now in 2006.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Aug 11 2009, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Aug 10 2009, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are the tickets so cheap - is that all the market will bear given the small population of NZ? Increasing ticket prices for test matches and S14 would give the NZRU more money to compete with NH clubs, but I guess there is a limit to what you can charge in a market of 4 million, even if they are all rugby supporters.[/b]
You pretty much summed it up. If the tickets were too much higher then a lot of lower income earners could not afford it. This could then turn those people away from the game. If the tickets were too high people just wouldn't show up. It's the fans that keep the game going, not the NZRU.
[/b][/quote]For some reason North Americans seem to be willing to pay much more for sports than people in the rest of the world. Most major cities have both basketball and hockey teams where the good tickets are well in excess of $100 per game and there are over 40 home games for each team. The arenas generally hold 18,000 but if you look at how much revenue is being raised it seems to be a lot more than in other parts of the world, even compared to soccer and there are at least four major teams sports. Perhaps it is that corporations here are willing to shell out the money to entertain clients and that isn't as much of the culture in other countries.

I had never really seen English club rugby until the last year or so and I am very surprised that the stadiums are so small. It seems that many of them only hold around 10,000 or so - I thought rugby was able to draw more than that in England. Where do they get the money to lure players from the SH - is it TV rights?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but clubs in England are privately owned. Therefore their owners have the money to splash around. That's how they lure the players from the SH.

Also just a note on ticket prices, they will be rising dramatically when the World Cup comes around.

NZ$750 for the finals doesn't seem too out of line compared to other comparable events - fyi tickets for the World Cup soccer final next year in SA will be US$900 which I believe is about NZ$1400.

Latest posts