• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

how much protection should i wear

J

jimi_bradley

i usually go in for just a chest protector but some people wear all sorts, including head, arm everything what do u guys reckon?

it's personal preference really, everyone should wear a mouthguard IMO. I only wear that and a headgear/scrumcap

unless your a second row or an 8 theres no real reason for a scrum cap. shoulder pads should have no place in rugby. mouth guard should be one of the only things you need really

I would also add hooker and props to pennysworth's list of headgear postitions. I used to wear headgear and it made not much difference for when you got hit. I think it is made for protection from scrummaging, hence its alternative name, scumcap.

when you are a forward you should take care for you ears
i bet you dont want to have ears like e.g Vickery :p

I have found that rugby shoulder pads help in the scrum (I'm a hooker). I made sure to get a model that includes the piece of padding across the upper back, over the spine.

I agree all ya need is a gumshield - Don't go making it into a big poofs game like American Football

wearing shoulder pads and stuff just makes u feel like you got more protection..

A couple guys on the local club wear Canterbury shoulder/chest pads, I think 1 of them is a flanker. All I wear is a mouthguard.

Latest posts