How tight should rugby shorts be?

MadDog1999

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Hi Guys,
I have signed up for this forum ages ago but I thought I would start getting active now, sure what harm! But, I recently bought rugby shorts but they are very tight to pull up. When they are on they seem to be the perfect length but I don't know if they are too tight. I can still walk around in the and stuff but I don't know do they look too tight. Is there any way to know that they are too tight? By looks, movement etc.

Thanks,
MadDog1999

Hi Guys,
I have signed up for this forum ages ago but I thought I would start getting active now, sure what harm! But, I recently bought rugby shorts but they are very tight to pull up. When they are on they seem to be the perfect length but I don't know if they are too tight. I can still walk around in the and stuff but I don't know do they look too tight. Is there any way to know that they are too tight? By looks, movement etc.

Thanks,
MadDog1999

That's a really odd question but if you can squat and lunge in them freely then they are fine, if not buy some bigger

When you buy rugby shorts forget about length. Get the right size for your waist, maybe a size up so you can move comfortably in them, you can always pull the drawstring up tight.

Then, wear a pair of under armour shorts or similar underneath them. These go down to a couple of inches above the knee. I have absolutely no idea why but everyone does. Supposed to aid recovery and keeps your thighs warm I suppose. I'm guessing it trickled down from professional level.

Anyway, ignore the rambling. Get shorts that are comfortable and don't worry about length because you'll be wearing a strange pair of Lycra half tights under them anyway.

When you buy rugby shorts forget about length. Get the right size for your waist, maybe a size up so you can move comfortably in them, you can always pull the drawstring up tight.

Then, wear a pair of under armour shorts or similar underneath them. These go down to a couple of inches above the knee. I have absolutely no idea why but everyone does. Supposed to aid recovery and keeps your thighs warm I suppose. I'm guessing it trickled down from professional level.

Anyway, ignore the rambling. Get shorts that are comfortable and don't worry about length because you'll be wearing a strange pair of Lycra half tights under them anyway.

Everyone I know that wears them (including myself) do it so that it doesn't look like we're wearing our boxers. The length (or lack of it) on some pairs of shorts is ridiculous, it feels like I'm violating anyone who looks at me when I'm wearing them on their own. They also make a good substitute for boxers, do a good job of holding everything in place. Same goes for if you wear them on top of boxers.

Thanks for the replies. Do you know anywhere where the rugby shorts are on a good offer online for cheap shipping also to Ireland. I have under armour shorts

Last edited:
Everyone I know that wears them (including myself) do it so that it doesn't look like we're wearing our boxers. The length (or lack of it) on some pairs of shorts is ridiculous, it feels like I'm violating anyone who looks at me when I'm wearing them on their own. They also make a good substitute for boxers, do a good job of holding everything in place. Same goes for if you wear them on top of boxers.

I'm exaggerating my confusion a little. I've forgotten mine a couple of times and it does look like you're wearing short shorts (at least with the Canterbury shorts I wear) without them.

A combination of modesty, compression (recovery and keeping various baubles in place), warmth and copying what the professionals do (or what all your friends do), is my best guess.

OP, I'd guess Sports Direct does them cheap?

There shipping is a tad bit too dear. I am after ordering new boots and socks from them totally forgetting to add shorts to the order so now I'll have to pay for another shipping charge. I am only 16 so have a summer job. Will have to wait till another few wages are in the bank

There shipping is a tad bit too dear. I am after ordering new boots and socks from them totally forgetting to add shorts to the order so now I'll have to pay for another shipping charge. I am only 16 so have a summer job. Will have to wait till another few wages are in the bank

Lovell rugby also do some cheap ones on the offers, I've got some great deals there in the past.

Under armour shorts for a hooker like myself are absolutely essential! Without these, at scrum time my arms are around my props and then crouching/setting into scrummage position would mean a plum revealing for all involved in the front rows! I can then do nothing about this until the scrum is completed.

However this could work as a distraction technique whilst I nick the opposition hook ball!

Latest posts