• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How to be a good prop

DocMaple

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Harlequins
Hey, I'm a new player, and I really enjoy the game. Due to my size (1.92m(6foot3) 118kg) I've been chosen to train for being a prop at my club. Now I've played a lot of sport before and I know there's no "easy" way of doing things but I want to know what people have found the most effective way of getting better as a prop and getting better at scrummaging in general.

The best way to get better at scrimmaging is simply by doing it over and over again. Work on scrum machine and against opposition particularly (even if it's just three on three).

In terms of gym work I'd recommend reading the Franks brothers book. They do a lot of cross training with a bit more emphasis on power lifting.

Hey, I'm a new player, and I really enjoy the game. Due to my size (1.92m(6foot3) 118kg) I've been chosen to train for being a prop at my club. Now I've played a lot of sport before and I know there's no "easy" way of doing things but I want to know what people have found the most effective way of getting better as a prop and getting better at scrummaging in general.

Firstly you need to be strong and powerful if you want to be effective in the scrum, and that starts in the weight room where you need to focus on progressing on the big compound movements, especially the squat and power clean.

aside from that, just practice scrumming, as TRF said. They say it takes 10,000 reps to master a movement.

Latest posts