• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How to fix the Magners League

D

DR749

Over here in the US, it seems like the Magners league is loosing "market share" to the Guinness Premeirship and Super 14.

Here is my proposal. Take it for what its worth.

The league currently has four teams from Ireland and Wales and only two from Scotland. After the World Cup, the underlying theme was that Scotland needs to increase their club structure. I would propose bringing back the Border Reivers (my beloved club when I was in Kelso) and add a team to Inverness or another city. I know the SRU bagged the Borders due to funds, but dropping teams tends to loss interest in the area and it has a domino effect in regards to funding.

So, then you have four teams from each country. To maximize play, at the end of the year, the lowest place team for the two lowest countries on the table would be relegated, with the top Div 1 team then promoted. I would not go to drop the lowest from each country, as that is too much turnover. I would also not drop just the lowest two teams and this would not ensure you maintain four countries represented and not loading the League with teams from one or two countries.

Just a thought. I welcome feedback.

Dr. Dave

Relegation to where, it simply cannot work for the Magners League, with a structure like the Magners League you can't have relegation, period.

The only way 4 teams in Scotland could possibly be afforded is if private investors are found - and I very much doubt that will ever happen because of the SRU's reluctance to allow the Carruthers to run Edinburgh themselfs.

Although there was talk of an Aberdeen-based team, to groundshare with AFC at pittodrie, and at a joint venture somewhere else (although given the fixture problems this season teams may think twice before accomodating a second professional team).

But the main question for me is, are 4 Teams sustaibnable in Scotland? Right now, no! The SRU need to increase the popularity of the game before they even think about creating more teams. Infact, they need to finally win over the clubs and convince them to get behind our pro teams.

If we are relying on private investors for teams 3 & 4, they will only come if they believe they can turn in a profit. currently the SRU make a several million pound loss on the Pro teams each year. Thats alright for them, it merley reduces the end-of-year profits they make from running the National team, but private investors wouldnt have that cash coming in from another route. Which means they need to rely on fans for their cash. What fans? There are many people regularly attending Glasgow games wearing Reivers tops ect. There may be some locals who would start coming down in the borders/up north, but not enough to sustain a pro team and certainly not without a DECREASE at the current teams.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to see 4 Pro teams in Scotland (and I believe this should be the long term goal of the SRU) but I would rather we kept 2 competitive teams while the SRU sort themselfs out and make Pro rugby in Scotland work.

As for the magners league, we have to find a way of boosting the profile with just the 2 scottish teams. What that may be, well if I knew I would have posted it before now!

Although there was talk of an Aberdeen-based team, to groundshare with AFC at pittodrie, and at a joint venture somewhere else (although given the fixture problems this season teams may think twice before accomodating a second professional team).[/b]

The only way a team in Aberdeen would work is if firstly it were a fully private venture with no SRU interferrence and secondly the maximum effort possible was made to court the student population in Aberdeen which would mean probably whoring out the best known players nightly to the various clubs on Belmont Street to impress the ladies and hand out discounted tickets.

As for the Magners itself, beyond hope. If I were head of the Magners with tyrannical powers, I'd eliminate automatic HEC places for Ireland, Scotland & Wales and instead allow only the top four teams in the league qualification into the competition. Also maybe impose stricter salary caps and squad limits to prevent teams resting (possibly, probably has never happened) entire XVs for HEC duty but that would be something I'd impose on all leagues, not just the Magners.

Something has to be done to make the teams take the league seriously.

Yup, can't believe they haven't changed the qualification requirements for the Heineken yet. I suppose they are afraid that one of the countries might end up not being represented (Scotland most likely due to only having two teams). But it still needs to happen, maybe then we will start seeing teams taking it seriously.

For example we wouldn't end up with the current situation of the Ospreys (one of the leagues strongest teams, the strongest on paper) lying in 8th place!

I heard somewhere (probably from the Western <strike>Fail</strike> Mail) that some Italians sides may be joining. I would fully welcome new opposition, although I don't see how this would benefit any country other than Italy.

The Italians have been threatening to put clubs into the Magners League for the last decade or so with no success so far. Would be nice though.

"Threatening"? Wouldn't an extra Nation's teams becoming a part of a League, already with three other Nations there anyway, be a good thing for the League? I don't know much about this, but are there any legal issues stopping them from entering?

Well, I say "threatening" because they keep saying that they'll join but it never quite happens :(

As an example, RC keeps saying he'll come to meet ups, but he never does quite turn up! :(

Only problem is that is there not an IRB or ERC rule that says a domestic competition must have a maximum of 3 participating countries?

although if HC qualification is done on final placings that may help them round that rule.

would certainly welcome a wee trip overseas to Italy though. Any chance we could get say Spain involved also? ;)

Latest posts