• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How to get into pro rugby?

jamiee26

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
Im 14 6'3 200lbs (muscle under fat) hundred meters 15 seconds, I live in Nuneaton near cov and Leicester, i can do huge tackles take on 2+ people in the rucks and can maul good to(and of course all the basics passing etc.), I want to know the best way (not the easiest or quickest)to go pro when i leave school at 18, atm i play for my school however soon im going to join a local rugby team (Nuneaton old Edwardians or Nuneaton rfc), at 16 i plan on going to the Leicster Tiger accademy, im not sure what to do though, is going to the accdemy the best plan or should I stick with the club I plan on going to and hope a scout spots me? thanks. by the way atm im using:http://www.rfu.com/TakingPart/Fitne...71127 sw RFU Year 10 Strength Programme4.ashx training program to improve my strength and some interval training for speed. (I also play prop)

Club and wait for scouts - try and get into the academy

If you decide you want to go to University then try and go to one with a strong Rugby background/links to pro-clubs
Loughborough Uni, University of Wales Institute Cardiff, Hartpury College, Bath University etc. - all good choices, and have produced a number of pros in their times
Hartp

So at 14 you're 6'3 amd 90kg **** you'd think at your age level they'd put you second row. I'm a year older same weight and 5'11 you don't want to much height at prop. Don't know academy set up in England but just wondering would you like to list your bad points it amazes me that as a prop you didn't mention scrummaging that's what most teams look for in props first.

Yes I can scrum, my only weakpoint I can really think of is my speed, of course there are more but i cant see myself play but overall im not to bad, and do you think I should go lock then, i dont mind prop or lock.

Another problem with me being prop is that I turn the scrum as the other prop isnt as heavy and is about 6'1

As I've said height even to an extent weight isn't vital power and technique are more so. I'm playing with 18 year olds with plenty of inches and kilos on me and I'm doing well so far.

As I haven't seen you play I can't say wheter you should play prop or lock. I just thought that with those stats at your age you'd be put lock. Which side do you play I'm hazarding a guess at loosehead as that's usually the side that wheels more at underage. It doesn't make a difference to you as you can't control it maybe hold the shove if you're trying to get the other side up.

Ive just announced my retirement as a prop and ive gone to lock

that wasnt just your advice that made me do that, ive been thinking about it for a while ever since i played a match as lock about 3 weeks ago

Don't be too quick to do that, maybe play both for about one or two months and pick the one you like more and are better at. All that said if you're hands are good like you said you'll be a good lock.

What I'd give to be big, I'm 5'8 and 10 stone and two years older than you. :D

OK hope it works out for you, although prop is the best position ever in fact I may go write a tribute song no screw it a musical about how great proping is. Of course most props can't dance or sing but still technicalities.

Don't be too quick to do that, maybe play both for about one or two months and pick the one you like more and are better at. All that said if you're hands are good like you said you'll be a good lock.

What I'd give to be big, I'm 5'8 and 10 stone and two years older than you. :D

But you do have chode power.:D

My teams happy with my decision, I am and so is my dad so alls good(our team had 3 props so that was a problem)

If some one dosent mind, could you tell me the roles of lock ( i know the basics , scrum position, place in the line out)

Don't take Tigers academy as a 'given'. They hold a host of games down at the oval park training ground. If your invited to them, you'll play in full tigers kit against another team in full tigers kit (away or home) and there are around 46 hopefulls there with you. 10 will be chosen for the Academy. It is fast paced stuff, no conversions and 'flexible' rules shall we say. For props, they look for scrummaging and loose play. Adopt this policy, 'if you've not got your hands on the ball, you're not playing well enough'. If you are accepted you will move to leicester and live in a foster home with 4 hours of lessons a day followed by 3 hours of training. It's tough stuff.

I would speak to your school teacher head of P.E or whatever you call it. You should ask him about the county set up and if you have can attend county trials.

Team wise I would pick Nuneaton RFC over Old Ed's, they are a better level and in the same leauge as Preston Grass Hoppers, Loughborough students etc. They are in National Leauge 2 North that is a very good standard. Only just down from the Prem, there first team will be pro or at least semi-pro at a guess. Old Ed's are not far behind and play in Midlands Two East South, they are semi-pro as far as I am aware.

You need to look at clubs and schools that Leicester tigers use for there EDPG.

Have you played any club rugby at all? Tigers Academy will only take players from the EDPG or schools for rugby programme.
I found this on the tigers site, have a look at the Academy stuff on there as well. The age range Tigers are looking at is 14 - 16 this is when clubs are now looking at people.

I would send the below an E-mail and ask all the questions that you have here, including what is the best way to get noticed, as the harsh truth is no matter how good you are unless you are at the right places to get spotted your going to struggle.

If you are looking to join a club then we suggest you contact Jenna Studley, the RFU Rugby Development Officer (RDO) for Leicestershire. Jenna has links with all local clubs and would be able to recommend a club that fits your needs. For further information email [email protected].

I would speak to your school teacher head of P.E or whatever you call it. You should ask him about the county set up and if you have can attend county trials.

Team wise I would pick Nuneaton RFC over Old Ed's, they are a better level and in the same leauge as Preston Grass Hoppers, Loughborough students etc. They are in National Leauge 2 North that is a very good standard. Only just down from the Prem, there first team will be pro or at least semi-pro at a guess. Old Ed's are not far behind and play in Midlands Two East South, they are semi-pro as far as I am aware.

You need to look at clubs and schools that Leicester tigers use for there EDPG.

Have you played any club rugby at all? Tigers Academy will only take players from the EDPG or schools for rugby programme. I found this on the tigers site, have a look at the Academy stuff on there as well. The age range Tigers are looking at is 14 - 16 this is when clubs are now looking at people.

I would send the below an E-mail and ask all the questions that you have here, including what is the best way to get noticed, as the harsh truth is no matter how good you are unless you are at the right places to get spotted your going to struggle.

If you are looking to join a club then we suggest you contact Jenna Studley, the RFU Rugby Development Officer (RDO) for Leicestershire. Jenna has links with all local clubs and would be able to recommend a club that fits your needs. For further information email [email protected].

There will be Tiger scouts at the county games at u16 level. If your not in EPDG at u13 level (when it starts) it's very unlikely they'll put you through. Play well for county and you'll get an invite to the Oval park games.

Dunno about england , but in ulster (at clubs not schools ) you are picked for an ulster regional side about 15 then you move up through the ranks until you're 21ish (at the latest) enter an A side , then its all on you to preform from then on.

Unless the prats and drop you just before under 18 level (dirty ****ers) :mad:
I assume there is a similar system :)

Latest posts