• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

How to get used to contact

Rigo

Academy Player
Country Flag
Costa Rica
I am playing as third row and really like it, I can tackle fairly good and advance several meters with the ball before I get dropped. However, when it comes to tackle the biggest guy on the other team, or try to stop a pick-go from the other team or just fly into a ruck with a "I weight 130 kilos" mentality, I find myself losing strength right at the last second before I crash with someone. My coach says that its normal and its called "fear to contact" and that I have to work to minimize it as much as possible.

Those of you who play or have been through this, what do you do to become more aggressive?
Any suggestions or opinions are welcome :)

I am playing as third row and really like it, I can tackle fairly good and advance several meters with the ball before I get dropped. However, when it comes to tackle the biggest guy on the other team, or try to stop a pick-go from the other team or just fly into a ruck with a "I weight 130 kilos" mentality, I find myself losing strength right at the last second before I crash with someone. My coach says that its normal and its called "fear to contact" and that I have to work to minimize it as much as possible.

Those of you who play or have been through this, what do you do to become more aggressive?
Any suggestions or opinions are welcome :)

Just put in a big hit early in the match and you'll get in to the swing of it. Iknow it's just that first one...but seriously, just go for it. Just GO. BANG

Yeah Monkeypigeon is right. You've just got to get used to it I'm afraid. Go in hard and remember, you're more likely to get injured if you go into a tackled half-heartedly than if you go in full tilt. Best of luck!

Lie on the wrong side of a ruck and get a bit of shoe pie ..I do this when I am having an off day and it really up's your aggresivity levels and you will be desperate to smash people...sometimes it works too well though ....and I get carded..

I was like this recently and hated the feeling but Monkeypigeon is right, once you get that first big hit in and get used to it you can't get enough!

i agree with everyone else to get used to it you just gota do it hit some 1 as hard as you can dont let up at least once a game and then after a while it will come naturally

Thanks to all, I will let you know how it goes at my next match

Latest posts