• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

how were pools decided?

brentrob

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Australia
Hi. Im new to rugby. Can someone explain how pools were decided? Australia, England and Wales in one pool, but newzealand and south africa are pretty much certainties in their pools! Your help in this would be helpful.

Hi. Im new to rugby. Can someone explain how pools were decided? Australia, England and Wales in one pool, but newzealand and south africa are pretty much certainties in their pools! Your help in this would be helpful.
Seeding was done a few years back after Wales had catastrophic run of games and were ranked 9th and England were ranked 5th making a slight muck up of how it all panned out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Rugby_World_Cup#Draw

Samoa's ranking of 7th is the major reason why it's happened.

Uhhhhhh... Without being completely 100% accurate and technical about all the ins and outs...

The World Rankings were taken, like, 2 years ago(?), and used to decide the pools. Back then this is when Wales had that "slump" or whatever and I think fell to 8th in the World... Or 9th.. I think Australia were 2nd, and England were 6th or there abouts... This is how this whole "pool of death" has happened.. Otherwise, I think it would be Wales in SA's group, if it was taken a year out from the WC?

edit: See above, for accuracy.

Ok guys. Thanks. I agree that Aus, Eng, Wales is a pool of death. Sort of makes a bit more sense now

Latest posts