• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hull FC fined over ineligible player

S

St Helens RLFC

<_<

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_leag...ull/7494285.stm

Hull fined over ineligible player

Hull have been fined £100,000, £40,000 of which is suspended for 12 months, for fielding an ineligible player in the Challenge Cup.
They were punished for playing Jamie Thackery in two games before he was placed on the club's cup roster.Thackery was re-signed from Leeds after the initial 3 March deadline and played in the wins over Rochdale and Widnes. Hull have seven days to appeal after being found guilty of a breach of the Rugby Football League's rules.

The prop forward played in Hull's 42-5 fourth-round win at Rochdale on 20 April, but the blunder only came to light after he also appeared in Hull's 32-18 fifth-round win over Widnes.

Hull escaped expulsion from this year's competition, but when the incident first came to light the RFL said the breach was a "very serious matter" and suggested that the competition's rules would be tightened up to prevent a reoccurrence. The east Yorkshire club are due to play Wakefield in the Challenge Cup semi-final at Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium on 27 July for a place in the final against either Leeds or St Helens at Wembley.

Hoooo boy are they lucky. There was no precedent to this. I have no doubt that the next time this happens the team in question will be slung out.

All i can say thank god it wasn't Wigan, they would have had the book thrown at them. Record fine and expulsion from the cup.

Jeff

Oh come on now Jeff you're not suggesting there's a conspiracy against Wigan are you?!

If you want proof of there NOT being a conspiracy against Wigan, I've got one word for you... Hepatitis.

Books, libraries, countries, continents, planets... all should have been thrown at Wigan!

Well, you'll get some barbed thanks I suppose - why didn't you do that in the cup semi final??!!

I maintained in May that if we won all our games we'd finish top. Sadly that means absolutely bugger all these days, apart from a hubcap that you get presented at half time of a playoff match in case it upsets your dear friends down the road.........

[/bitter mode]

Finishing top, does mean **** all. I would have liked us to have at least reached the final last year. Ok, you would have buggered us hard but at least we would have been in the GF, which would have been an achievement in itself.

Don't go saying that - remember the Challenge Cup final in 2002? How can any Wiganner forget 1998? ANYONE can beat ANYONE in a final, the form book goes out of the window.

Don't go saying that - remember the Challenge Cup final in 2002? How can any Wiganner forget 1998? ANYONE can beat ANYONE in a final, the form book goes out of the window. [/b]

True mate, but we were fecked after those matches lets be onest.

Hoooo boy are they lucky. There was no precedent to this. I have no doubt that the next time this happens the team in question will be slung out.
[/b]

Can you imagine if they go on to lift the cup?

This whole sorry escapade is an embarrassment to RL.

There will be outrage. The RFL could have nipped this in the bud easily and said: you're out.

Rochdale and Widnes could have then played off for the place in the quarters. But no... too complicated.

Latest posts