• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Human Auction? What!

J

jinxed_nz

While watching the cricket today, (NZ vs England) I listened to the commentators mention several times that their was some sort of human auction to take place tonight. ( right now actually). Im not quite sure what they mean by this but are they reffering to the officially sanctioned twenty/20 league in India? It sounds as though they are Auctioning up the best players in the world to play for the teams, much like that of the NFL draft and the money seems to be out of this world! If I am correct then why in the hell are players like Shane Bond leaving prematurely to play for the rebel league in India if they could get similar money to play in the official league?

I must have something wroung here because it just doesnt sound ethical to me.

While watching the cricket today, (NZ vs England) I listened to the commentators mention several times that their was some sort of human auction to take place tonight. ( right now actually). Im not quite sure what they mean by this but are they reffering to the officially sanctioned twenty/20 league in India? It sounds as though they are Auctioning up the best players in the world to play for the teams, much like that of the NFL draft and the money seems to be out of this world! If I am correct then why in the hell are players like Shane Bond leaving prematurely to play for the rebel league in India if they could get similar money to play in the official league?

I must have something wroung here because it just doesnt sound ethical to me.
[/b]

It's the Indian rebel league. There's a list of players who have been targeted by the Indian franchises, players from all countries. Some have ruled themselves out of the league though, Michael Clarke has I know that much.

Crazy eh? Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the top bid at about 1.8million NZ :eek:

Here's a link, for more go to cricinfo. It has a list of all the players and such, I like the idea to be honest.
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ipl/content...ory/337930.html

Here are the squad lists as of now:

Jaipur Shane Warne(AUS) (US$ 450,000), Graeme Smith(SA) (US$ 475,000), Younis Khan(PAK) (US$ 225,000), Kamran Akmal(PAK) (US$ 150,000)

Chennai MS Dhoni(IND) (US$ 1.5 million), Muttiah Muralitharan(SL) (US$ 600,00), Matthew Hayden(AUS) (US$ 375,000), Jacob Oram(NZ) (US$ 675,000), Stephen Fleming(NZ) (US$ 350,000), Parthiv Patel(IND) (US$ 325,000)

Mumbai Sachin Tendulkar(IND) (icon), Sanath Jayasuriya(SL) (US$ 975,000), Harbhajan Singh(IND) (US$ 850,000)

Bangalore Rahul Dravid(IND) (icon), Anil Kumble(IND) (US$ 500,000), Jacques Kallis(SA) (US$ 900,000), Zaheer Khan(IND) (US$ 450,000), Mark Boucher(SA) (US$ 450,000)

Hyderabad Adam Gilchrist(AUS) (US$ 700,000), Andrew Symonds(AUS) (US$ 1.35 million), Herschelle Gibbs(SA) (US$ 575,000), Shahid Afridi(PAK) (US$ 675,000)

Mohali Yuvraj Singh(IND) (icon), Mahela Jayawardene(SL) (US$ 475,000), Kumar Sangakkara(SL) (US$ 700,000), Brett Lee(AUS) (US$ 900,000), Sreesanth(IND) (US$ 625,000)

Kolkata Sourav Ganguly(IND) (icon), Shoaib Akhtar(PAK) (US$ 425,000), Ricky Ponting(AUS) (US$ 400,000), Brendon McCullum(NZ) (US$ 700,000), Chris Gayle(WI) (US$ 800,000)

Delhi Virender Sehwag(IND) (icon), Daniel Vettori(NZ) (US$ 625,000), Shoaib Malik(PAK) (US$ 500,000), Mohammad Asif(PAK) (US$ 650,000), AB de Villiers(SA) (US$ 300,000), Dinesh Karthik(IND) (US$ 525,000)

The reserve prices for the players were in the daily telegraph today...some of them were crazy!

Andrew Symond's reserve price was under AU$275 211....he ended up getting AU$1 470 000!!!

Whilst Australian players were bid on, a number of them including Hayden and Ponting who were picked up at relative bargains compared to Symonds, are unlikely to play due to touring commitments. Players such as Symonds who have reservations about touring Pakistan are likely to play in the IPL and pick up their fat cheques for 44 days of work instead.

The reserve prices for the players were in the daily telegraph today...some of them were crazy!

Andrew Symond's reserve price was under AU$275 211....he ended up getting AU$1 470 000!!!

Whilst Australian players were bid on, a number of them including Hayden and Ponting who were picked up at relative bargains compared to Symonds, are unlikely to play due to touring commitments. Players such as Symonds who have reservations about touring Pakistan are likely to play in the IPL and pick up their fat cheques for 44 days of work instead.
[/b]

That's why Symonds is so high, yet Ponting and Hayden are so low.

Imagine if the Pakistan tour is called off altogether? Ponting and Hayden selling for so low, what a bargain for their respective clubs!

I'm still figuring out the ins and outs of this procedure, such as "icon" players. Apparently if Ganguly was on auction, he'd be worth 9 million :eek: I don't know how it works :mellow:

I'm surprised how cheap Afridi went for, he would be my first choice player over anyone.

Icon players refers to Indians who were already in a default team as a result of their region of residence. They earn 15% more than the highest paid player on the roster of their team that are non-icon players. So the icon player will be thanking their lucky stars if they have players that have been auctioned at around $1.5 mil!

F*$#!!!! thats a lot of money! So this is the rebel league? does that mean that players like Andrew Symonds and such will be excluded from international cricket from now on by the ICA or whateva its called?

No, I don't think they'll be excluded by the International governing body (ICC...what was ICA sambad? :p). It's entrirely at the discretion of their home unions.

Isn't it in a slot where NZ, WI, PAK, IND, SA have no competition on? So they can actually sign without skipping international duties?

That's why England are completely disregarded, they have county cricket running. Australia's Pakistan tour looks rather sketchy and may be canned, which is why many of them are still being signed. Am I right? Not sure.

Isn't it strange that players such as Sharma, Utthapa, Gambhir (all Indians), etc... got massive deals? Yet Gilly, Lee, Hussey, McCullum, Oram, Afridi, etc... are far superior players but got rather average deals?

Just to clarify this is NOT the Indian Rebel League - this is the ICC Sanctioned Indian Premier League(IPL). Players can play for this league only when they are not required to play for their country.

Apparently the television rights for this event cost over just over 1 billion dollars (yes that is the real figure), with franchise ownership valued at over 700 Million dollars - their is a LOT of money in this series!!!!

Isn't it strange that players such as Sharma, Utthapa, Gambhir (all Indians), etc... got massive deals? Yet Gilly, Lee, Hussey, McCullum, Oram, Afridi, etc... are far superior players but got rather average deals?
[/b]
No, look at the English Premier League in football...the English players get paid obscene amounts which doesn't conform with any kind of form guide....why else do you think managers prefer foreign players...they are on the whole much cheaper...

How do i put my name in the draft Lol, so i dont get this ICL IPL stuff? [/b]

IPL and ICL are just two competing 20/20 tournaments based in Indian. The IPL is sancutioned by the ICC, while the ICL is not (it is the so called 'rebel' league)

I wouldnt say that Gilly, symonds etc... got small deals. If you relate it to the money that they get paid by their National teams its massive!! But I have one thing to ask and that is how the hell did this start happening? When did cricket suddenly get the popularity to ask for over 1 billion on T.V. rights for a 20/20 series?

(ICC...what was ICA sambad? :p ). [/b]

what you call me? see! wheres dan or charlie when you need them. this is blatant builling! just because im a ginga, i get blamed for every problem around here. i havent even posted in this topic. melon-headed ******...

Oh...so there are 2 leagues!!! Intriguing... [/b]

haha yeah **** - i didnt know about that either.

now tell me, whos in the offical, and whos in the rebel? i think we need some clarification. whys there two leagues? wtf? this is confusing ****!!! lol

Just follow my lead Sammy and let it blow over the top of your head. I've given up!

The bullying won't stop until you give me what I want...big boy....rowrrrrr

Latest posts