E

..::ERIC::..

2: Andrew Hore (current AB)
3: Neemia Tialata (current AB)
5: Jason Eaton (current AB)
6: Jerry Collins (current AB)
7: Chris Masoe (current AB)
8: Rodney So'oialo (current AB)

The Hurricanes have the most current ABs out of all the NZ franchise (yes, more than Canty).

Add to that Joe McDonell as a former AB, and Ross Kennedy tipped to be an AB oneday (although I don't know why, I prefer ***a or Andrews at lock to be honest), the so called "weak" forward pack the Hurricanes put out seems to be a myth.

I agree Eric, I feel it's one of those cases where a reputation sticks, and no matter how many times we do well in a scrum or overpower another pack, it's still apparently uncharacteristic and suprising. The Hurricanes pack is strong and hosts some dangerous runners, I don't see why they're slated so often.

Originally posted by ..::ERIC::..@Nov 4 2005, 06:42 PM
2: Andrew Hore (current AB)
3: Neemia Tialata (current AB)
5: Jason Eaton (current AB)
6: Jerry Collins (current AB)
7: Chris Masoe (current AB)
8: Rodney So'oialo (current AB)

The Hurricanes have the most current ABs out of all the NZ franchise (yes, more than Canty).

Add to that Joe McDonell as a former AB, and Ross Kennedy tipped to be an AB oneday (although I don't know why, I prefer ***a or Andrews at lock to be honest), the so called "weak" forward pack the Hurricanes put out seems to be a myth.
While their not powder puff their certainly not a feared unit, They still have a while to before their pack can be mentioned around the top draw super 14 packs in the Bulls, Waratahs, Blues, Crusaders and Highlanders.

Guys like Hore, Tialata, Eaton and Masoe while good workers, will probarbly not be All Black first stringers any time soon. Tialata could in the future though.

But still should be anble to bully some of the lkesser packs around.

...the highlanders only have Hayman who is an ab starter. Oliver is in close competition with mealamu and james ryan's got williams an jack to get out of the way. Hurricanes have got so'oialo and collins and we're yet to see what eaton can do in the black jersey. tialata was very strong this morning but is unlikely to get ahead of woodcock or hayman

We may only have one guaranteed starter, but our pack as a unit is very good. We don't have the big impact loose forwards, that smash people and make huge runs. But they are just as affective, and will become more so with the addition of Blowers.

Our tight five is top notch, we have a very good lineout with Hayman, Oliver, Donnelly and Ryan. Oliver throwing has improved alot of the last couple of years and is now quite consistent. Hayman is the best lineout lifter in the game, and with Donnelly and Ryan we have two genuine lineout options one being an All Black while the other can feel hard done by that he isn't.

While in the scrum it is as good as ever, with our two All Blacks in the front row partnered by the Southland captain and junior All Black Clarke Dermody. Who is no slouch.

So yes we do only have one guaranteed All Black starter, but our pack is still top notch and one of the top 3 or 4 four in the comp. Espically in the tight five.

While the Hurricanes two All Black starters are the same All Black starters that they have had over the last couple of years, and their pack wasn't at a great standard then, and it will still take a while for it to get to that standard. They really need another top quality lock, and someone in place of Pudding in the front row.

While our front row factory keeps on keeping on with the continual improvement of Jamie MacKintosh who when he finally bursts into super 14 will be a real star, and will create a mamoth front row with Hayman and Oliver when he steps up. It was tough luck for him that he had to withdraw from super 14. While in the loose we have a guy like Tim Boys coming through who will be a star in the next few years, IMO he is the most similar seven we have to McCaw in the country, which will make him more valuable than gold when McCaw's body gives up.

Originally posted by Southern man@Nov 6 2005, 05:29 PM
While in the loose we have a guy like Tim Boys coming through who will be a star in the next few years, IMO he is the most similar seven we have to McCaw in the country, which will make him more valuable than gold when McCaw's body gives up.
well this tim boys guy better hurry up and step up coz he's going to get left in the dust, buddy do u know how many awesome loose forwards we already have? and mckaw ain't exactly nearing the end of his career any time soon.. and even if sumthing tragic did happen to mckaw (touch wood) you've still got marty holah, daniel braid, josh blackie who are all ready to fill in the gaps..

Boys is only 21...

In the next year he should take over Blackie for both the Highlanders and Otago sevens jersey's, he got loaned to Southland for this NPC and won their player of the year ahead of the likes of Cowan, Miller, and Dermody.

McCaw puts his body through so much stress that it wouldin't suprise me if he heads off shore after the world cup or a year or two after. when he would be around 28 or 29, then he could rest his body for a couple of years and maybe even try for the 2011 world cup.

Boys grew up on the farm beside McCaw in the hicataramia valley and attended the same high school (Otago Boys) so their certainly some comparisons. But unlike Richie he didn't turn to the darkside.

He will be alot better than the likes iof Braid, Blackie and Masoe as an openside flanker.

You also have to remeber that Holah will be turning 30 next year.

You're making too many guarentees. You're not even predicting you're saying they are facts. You haven't even seen the hurricanes pack play a game yet and you're judging them. I think they should go quite well in the competition but we'll have to have a look after a couple rounds and see how they're going. What if Tim Boys doesn't end up to be everything you're saying and is just another GOOD flank, I empahsize good because he could just end up being another one of those close yet so far players who can't quite get to the top. Maybe hes just another one test AB. Of course he may end up being the next mccaw but it's highly unlikely since mccaw is a very rare talent.

Originally posted by rc_souljah@Nov 6 2005, 08:45 PM
You're making too many guarentees. You're not even predicting you're saying they are facts. You haven't even seen the hurricanes pack play a game yet and you're judging them. I think they should go quite well in the competition but we'll have to have a look after a couple rounds and see how they're going. What if Tim Boys doesn't end up to be everything you're saying and is just another GOOD flank, I empahsize good because he could just end up being another one of those close yet so far players who can't quite get to the top. Maybe hes just another one test AB. Of course he may end up being the next mccaw but it's highly unlikely since mccaw is a very rare talent.
You say that I haven't seen the Hurricanes play, well ofcourse I haven't and neither have you so what do you judge your opinions on? Past history? not likely.

If you read my first post on this topic, I said

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
While their not powder puff their certainly not a feared unit, ...

But still should be able to bully some of the lesser packs around.[/b]

I Didn't say they would be crap, all I said was that they would be a mid table pack, but with a top draw backline they will be a very good team this year.

On Tim Boys he will probarbly end up just another good New Zealand flanker, But I have faith in him I think that he can make it to the top.

Latest posts