Hype Thread 2022

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Saw a bit of chat in the England thread and thought it's time to get a melting pot going since European rugby has been damp at best this season!

My prediction:

Eng & Fra 4 wins
Ire 3 wins
Sco 2 wins
Wales 2 wins
Italy exist

France are probably the most likely team to do a slam but they're definitely still a team that could slip up in Edinburgh or Cardiff. I think Ireland might have a better chance than England purely due to having our Paris game at a better time but neither have a great schedule to pull off a slam. England start and finish away from home and Ireland have Italy in round three which makes the back to back weekends more difficult.

I won't discount Wales completely but I really don't know where they could get enough wins to be in contention without a continued series of unlikely events.

France to ban the unvaccinated, anyone called, Marcus, Maro or George and all Celts from entering the country

Oh just cause you get nilled suddenly it's damp?
That injustice would never have happened in the old competition. Bring back the ERC.

And because you're not playing nice I'll change my prediction to England winning every game but being docked 30 points and finish on -3 because their umbro jerseys are literally eye AIDS.

Realistically it's bloody hard to predict,

England could grandslam or could wooden spoon, anything in between
Wales always over perform in the 6N but with their current crop/injuries I could see their luck running out eventually
Ireland and France had very strong Autumns,
Scotland dark horses, probably not ***le contenders but wins aren't guaranteed over them anymore - they'll get a scalp or two
Italy are crap

My actual prediction:

1 - 2. Ireland and France both on 4 wins (Ireland losing in Twickenham, France in Murrayfield)
3 - 5. who knows
6. Italy

And because you're not playing nice I'll change my prediction to England winning every game but being docked 30 points and finish on -3 because their umbro jerseys are literally eye AIDS.
Firm but fair

Italy to look like they are really improving but lose every game by 40 points.

Scotland to talk themselves up (already happening... again, this time Finn), get a decent win somewhere, follow it up with a disappointing result and finish mid-pack but with the strange satisfaction at failing to win an eminently winnable tournament (also known as 'losing') for the fifth year running.

France to look clearly the best side but slip up against Scotland or Wales and so not win and leave me faintly mystified.

Wales to look like the second worst side, but not lose much and leave me faintly mystified.

Ireland to look the most solid and consistent but lose out to a strong display from a French or English pack.

England to underperform under an increasingly disinterested EJ and make this forum particularly baffled and agitated.

Basically I'm saying 2021 redux. Except picking Ireland but not for a slam.

Last edited:
Scotland to talk themselves up (already happening... again, this time Finn), get a decent win somewhere, follow it up with a disappointing result and finish mid-pack but with the strange satisfaction at failing to win an eminently winnable tournament (also known as 'losing') for the fifth year running.
Smashing summary, Scotland will either blast through the first game and think we are world beaters, or limp to the second half of the tournament then suddenly find form, which if deployed at the beginning would have meant a slam.

Smashing summary, Scotland will either blast through the first game and think we are world beaters, or limp to the second half of the tournament then suddenly find form, which if deployed at the beginning would have meant a slam.
Same as the Scottish football mentality in fairness. There are worse outlooks to have on life but I wouldn't mind a little less talking and a little more quiet ambition and steely determination.

The real hype for the tournament though is that Ireland vs Italy will see the debut of a non-Tier1 ref in the 6N for the first time. A Georgian. With that fixture he may make double history in his first 6N match with the addition of the fastest winning BP in 6N history.

What? No! He's like 99% of the reason why every match isn't completely dire at the moment.
yeah he didn't play in the Toulouse match in the weekend (I turned it off immediately) and apparently he hasn't played in January
Link
This says that he should be able to go for the six nations and I saw that he trained yesterday. Fingers crossed.

Odds have gone in a bit on Ireland and out a bit on Wales since the squads were announced today. People noticing Wales' half a dozen first team injuries I guess

The latest player to randomly become a Scot is.......... BEN WHITE

And Andy Christie
Leave White alone. As we say here he's only ever wanted to play for the Scottish Barbarians since he was a basin of gravy. I cannae wait to see some of the new recruits belting out Flower of Jockland!

Looking at the related press release it's a little tragic the pains the Scottish union go to to let it be known that some of these guys have played for Scotland at age grade. Could that be because one of the three u16 sides the union runs dedicated to schoolboys who don't live in Scotland but have Scottish parent or grandparent (almost exclusively English kids by the looks of things from a previous link they have since removed). Three cheers for literally tapping up kids from other jurisdictions with inducements and incentives.

At least one of the new caps (Darge) was actually born in Scotland.

Latest posts