• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hypothetical Question - The Seven Nations

GarethGriffiths

Academy Player
(and no Army, for you White Stripes fans!)

A lot is being made of the debacle within the NFL in the USA, and with dwindling gates since Colin Kapernick and the kneeling controversy it might not survive beyond 2019/2020.

Should the NFL go ***s up and it closes down, would you

a) Welcome the USA joining the Six Nations to create a Seven Nations tournament
b) Have the USA join SANZARAU (or whatever it's called - South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Argentina)

Which would be better and why, in your opinion?

No,
USA are nowhere near good enough, they'd get smashed by Italy every year, even.

And then on the other hand imagine them playing the all blacks twice a year? It'd be a blood bath.

Bring back the Churchill cup, don't force **** sides into good comps.

No,
USA are nowhere near good enough, they'd get smashed by Italy every year, even.

And then on the other hand imagine them playing the all blacks twice a year? It'd be a blood bath.

Bring back the Churchill cup, don't force **** sides into good comps.
+1.

If the 6N is to be extended I'd rather see Georgia be included.

The USA need competitive action but geography will always be their enemy. Perhaps something involving them, Canada and some of the European teams' squad players (a la Churchill Cup?) over the Summer in tournament style?

The Pacific 6 Nations is more than competitive for America and Canada, in those occasional years where it doesn't get canceled. The downside is, Japan and Fiji are too good for it.

Presumably the question is presuming all the NFL stars switch to Rugby and actually raise the standard a bit... which will only make the P6N more viable as America climb up to Japan and Fiji's level.

A lot is being made of the debacle within the NFL in the USA, and with dwindling gates since Colin Kapernick and the kneeling controversy it might not survive beyond 2019/2020.
Are things really that bad and is it just the controversy that caused it?

Are things really that bad and is it just the controversy that caused it?

It seems to be that way.

Attendances are down, sponsors like Papa Johns have been affected by NFL fans bored with the politics have taken a hit, and there does not seem to be a compromise or end in sight.

I read (although it could well be fake news) that a black player recently went as far as attacking fans of the team he played for?

Bringing back the Churchill Cup is a good idea, hadn't thought of that before I posted. Maybe a USA v Lions game could be possible in 2021 as a showcase match as well?

Perhaps the P6N is the best call.

It seems to be that way.

Attendances are down, sponsors like Papa Johns have been affected by NFL fans bored with the politics have taken a hit, and there does not seem to be a compromise or end in sight.

I read (although it could well be fake news) that a black player recently went as far as attacking fans of the team he played for?

Bringing back the Churchill Cup is a good idea, hadn't thought of that before I posted. Maybe a USA v Lions game could be possible in 2021 as a showcase match as well?

Perhaps the P6N is the best call.

Amendment to the attendances thing:

Whilst stadiums appear to be empty, this appears to be why (source - businessinsider):

'First and foremost, the NFL is driven by season-ticket sales and tickets purchased prior to the start of the season. That suggests that attendance this season was not impacted by players kneeling during the 2016 season. However, it doesn't tell us if ticket sales will be hurt as a result of the growing criticism this season, especially from President Donald Trump. The true impact of the backlash this season won't be felt until the 2018 season, if at all.

The other issue to keep in mind is that attendance figures do not necessarily tell us how many people actually attended the games. Since 2005, the NFL has encouraged teams to report "tickets distributed" as opposed to the actual number of fans that pass through the turnstiles. Tickets distributed includes tickets sold and tickets given away (e.g. charity donations).

That's why we can have a game in San Francisco with a reported "attendance" of 70,000 and the stadium still looks half empty.

The NFL can fudge the numbers this season. But they won't be able to fudge as much next season if ticket sales drop.'

If the protests keep up, then 2018 will be interesting to say the least.

The NFL can only go down because of the demographic shifting in USA

Hispanics and asians (regardless of being indians, koreans, vietnamese, etc) are not exactly American Football aficionados, let alone practicioners.

the nfl is fine... even if it takes a minor hit it will still be the most wildly successful league in terms of revenue

papa johns profits and there stocks have not been affected by the protest, their crap pizza is the reason

i have not met one person who has stopped watching football due to the protests, all those that are upset by it are too addicted to it in the first place

the only people i know (myself included) that have stopped watching football are in two camps... they grew up and don't like sports anymore or they were sick of seeing heir childhood idols kill themselves and their families due to brain damage

A mediocre player in NFL makes more money a year a rugby player makes in 5. Nobody would switch to rugby ever. Quoting Trump "This has been the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever," xD

i dont get how the fall of NFL is going to correlate at all with the Eagles getting accepted into a comp.

There would have to be a replacement sport, otherwise IF the league did tank you'd have 32 large stadiums across the USA not being used to their potential.

We already have the MLS, so it could make sense to use those stadiums for Rugby Union if the sport took off.

Anyway, was just a hypothetical question and I think it's been answered - better for the USA to get in with the P6N and the Churchill Cup in order to grow its reputation on the international stage.

Some very good comments on this thread, thanks to everybody who has contributed.

I don't see the point of the USA being pushed into a tournament ahead of other nations of equal stature that are geographically closer and more allied and aligned with the leagues???

The USA play the Americas Cup against Canada, Uruguay and Argentina, so they are already competing in a tournament internationally.

The USA won't join SANZAAR, because:
1. USA is not a Southern Hemisphere Country
2. Has no direct ties with any of the SANZAAR nations in regards to financial support/agreements/coaching clinincs etc.
3. SANZAAR won't be expanding the relatively new Rugby Championship.

The USA won't join the 6 Nations because:
1. There is already 6 Nations participating
2. Georgia, Romania, Germany, Spain are geographically closer and part of the european contingent.

The NFL has over $1 billion of revenue each year. Yes, there are some attendance issues but they have always had those. NFL games are very expensive, so expensive that in many markets I have never heard of individual fans actually buying them, only businesses. Businesses do buy all those tickets, it just doesn't always translate into butts in seats. While it would certainly be better if people attended, $12 beers are profitable, it is not going to put the league out of business.

USA Rugby on the other hand is essentially a youth sport and amatuer organization. Other people on here probably know more about USA Rugby then I do, but I invite anyone to visit USA Rugby's website and judge for themselves how good they think it as a commercial, revenue generating tool.

Ha, it seems like every single sport has fans convinced it is going down the drain. Even the ******* behemoth that is the NFL.

Money talks... one thing I've learnt is to never say never.

Still, for now, I think the Churchill Cup etc. is the way to go for them.

i can see sanzr grabbing them. the tv market would be huge. and it would be super not RC.

Latest posts