I am so f****** livid at NZ Rugby

TheOvalBall

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
You wanted to boycott the Springboks in the 80's for the racially motivated policies, but now ? No word is uttered ?
WTF ??

If you are truly a great rugby nation, you would not stand for this. Especially against your greatest rival.
Otherwise, you are just complicit in the downfall of SA Rugby.

Had a massive cheek to tell SA what to do back then, but not now ?

What a joke!

- - - Updated - - -

Mods if you are going to delete this thread, then ban me as well. If we cannot say what we want, then we might as well not say anything...forever.

/RAGE OVER

Last edited:
Easy answer. SA games now are worth more money to Unions than they did then.

I do wonder if World Rugby have anything against political interfering like FIFA do (can't believe FIFA can take any moral high ground but there you go)

You wanted to boycott the Springboks in the 80's for the racially motivated policies, but now ? No word is uttered ?
WTF ??

If you are truly a great rugby nation, you would not stand for this. Especially against your greatest rival.
Otherwise, you are just complicit in the downfall of SA Rugby.

Had a massive cheek to tell SA what to do back then, but not now ?

What a joke!

I think you have got your history completely wrong. The NZRFU did not "tell SA what to do back then". Quite the opposite in fact.

The scheduled 1973 Springbok tour of New Zealand was cancelled when Norman Kirk's Labour Government refused to issue visas to the South African players and management. The famous short tour by England was hastily arranged to replace it (England lost to Auckland, Wellington and Canterbury then beat the All Blacks 16-10 in the only test)

In 1976 the NZRFU sent the All Blacks to South Africa despite the protests in New Zealand and the protestations of the governments and sporting organizations of Black African countries. As a result, 23 Nations (Libya, Iraq, Kenya, Zambia, Nigeria, Gambia, Sudan, Ghana, Tanzania, Uganda, Algeria, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Central African Republic, Gabon, Chad, Togo, Niger, Congo, Mauritius, Upper Volta and Malawi) boycotted the 1976 Olympics Games because the IOC refused to ban NZ.

The scheduled 1981 Springbok tour of New Zealand went ahead despite protests. Robert Muldoon's National Government tried to intervene when he made his famous "Think Again" speech - "For the sake of other New Zealand sportsmen, to avoid dividing and damaging our society, and for the sake of the international reputation of our country, I urge your Union to think again". The NZRFU ignored him, and proceeded with the tour and we all know what happened - nationwide riots and protests, the cancelled Waikato match after the pitch invasion by protesters, and the "Flour Bomb" test at Eden Park.

The next tour by the All Blacks to South Africa was scheduled for 1986. However, two members of an Auckland rugby club took the NZRFU to court to prevent the the tour. They won their case; the court ruled that the NZRFU could not go because it violated the Union's own policy and legally stated purpose: "...the fostering and encouragement of the game of rugby..."
The result of this was the infamous 1986 Cavaliers unofficial tour, an All Black team in everything but name which was officially denounced by the NZRFU, but was privately supported by the vast majority of their board members.

Far from going along with the sporting boycotts of South Africa during the Apartheid era, the NZRFU openly defied them!!

Of all the people to be angry at for the policies in SA. Peculiar isn't the word.

Saw the ***le and thought it was another dirty Kiwis conversation starting back up. Shame. Didn't think that was fleshed out enough!!

Did he say SA is NZ's greatest rival? :lol:

Alrighty..

1. You aren't our greatest rival.

and

2. You are right about everything else.

Yeah, I don't understand why other nations don't get involved with South African rugby... It truly hurts the game. However, you would have to change a WHOLE country, just to benefit their rugby team. It happens in school grades as well, correct? That is some deep, deep ****... I honestly couldn't imagine there being a race problem at grassroots/school rugby here. Rugby wouldn't survive.

As an ex Saffa I can't agree entirely with the opening sentiment.

SA was ostracised by nearly the entire international community during the bad old days because of the prevailing racial policies - I think it's wrong to single out NZ for special attention in this regard.

I do however agree completely with the moral sentiment of the rage. The entire international community are answerable for not responding appropriately to the double standards being demonstrated today - not only in terms of the practices, rules and processes in SA Rugby but throughout all aspects of SA society.

The demise of SA rugby is a symptomatic indication of the failure of the state to provide equality for all its citizens in every way.

The reality is that apartheid is alive and well in SA however it isn't limited to just B & W anymore. It extends into tribal lines and xenophobic practices as well.

Bottom line is that life in SA today is simply the flip side of the same coin.

Think I missed something, what's brought on this rage now?

Ripple effects of the monster they created in apartheid... Coming back to bite you where the sun don't shine

Latest posts