• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I changed my Preorder from HB to Sidhe. Here's why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Warner

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
After playing the demo, I've decided to change my pre-order from RWC to RC. I'll still buy RWC, but not straight away and not full price. ie. off eBay later...

For those of you who seem to get upset at any criticism of rugby games, I just want to say that I agree with your stance but ultimately I want to see Rugby games be the highest quality possible and for that to happen dialogue about their short-fallings needs to take place. This place, where we know HB (and I hope Sidhe) look is therefore the perfect place to voice the thoughts of a fan, critic and ultimately a consumer.

Here's why I've changed my purchasing behavior. While the game is an slight improvement over 08/07, which is normal for most sports games (though all the big franchises have certain years when they make a Big jump), I've played a lot of previous rugby games and I want an improvement in the areas that were really broken. Not graphics or menus or superficial things but GAMEPLAY. I'm happy with the rucks, but the line-outs still suck. Why hasn't the glitch letting you run around under the post every time been fixed? The options at the rucks don't work either (which is massively important to rugby), it's fine against the computer but humans will smash you every time you pick and go or use a forward. Its the choice here that defines rugby as much as any other thing. After playing the demo I'm starting to be very concerned that the good people (I mean that) at HB have made their best games, and they just don't understand rugby well enough to make any more substantial improvements. I hope I'm wrong and I have a feeling that this new competition with Sidhe will force that improvement. But the fear is there none the less.

This is what I really want. Rugby is the worlds best game because it can be played effectively in different ways. Just look at the world cup winning teams and runners up. So much variety in the French, Poms, Saffas, Kiwis and Aussies. And going into this years RWC, the variety between those sides is as big as ever. Throw in the Irish as a chance too and you pretty much have six unique playing styles. And that's just the contenders. Look at superugby and its the same. Rugby is amazing but for a rugby game to be considered great it needs to reflect what makes rugby amazing and right now it simply doesn't.

On the other hand I like a lot of what I've seen from RC. There is definitely things that aren't quite right (like passing and quite a few support lines) but the rest looks pretty good. Especially the off the field stuff, which is lower in my gaming priorities but nice none the less. They deserve my pre-order for throwing so much into the game. Clearly they've invested a great deal more into their game then HB. It looks next gen and is clearly a huge step up from their league games. The true test will be firstly how it plays and secondly how they respond to the problems (which will obviously be there on a first go of such a complex sport). I don't think HB has really responded to the problems, as I said before. I hope Sidhe do.

Ultimately I like RWC, I will buy it (later and cheaper) and I'm so very happy that rugby games are back! However I want more for my dollars and I want HB to know that it needs to fix the things that need fixing. I hope that the competition between HB and Sidhe in the coming years leads to high quality rugby games. Its sometimes hard for us as gamers and rugby fans to separate the two. I want a rugby game that is truly a great game and not just good because it's rugby. It needs to be good in both ways. I also understand that in order to do that it requires a dedicated engine with thousands of animations in dynamic situations, which is unrealistic for games which probably won't sell on the scale of fifa, madden or the other big american sports. As I said before the point of this is not to just critise for the sake of it. I bought all the old rugby games and played them extensively, and will continue to. But I want improvement and I want to HB and Sidhe to focus on making games that truly capture rugby and the huge amount of choice that is ever-present in rugby.

why go to the effort of poesting this

WHY!?

Cry me a river.

Since when did this forum become a platform for people to blog about the status of Ps3 games they have pre-ordered?

Get a blog or something...

No one cares. Go buy RC. While I'll take fiji to the World cup final. On hard mode

What's with all the criticism of this guy? He's taken his time to post a well reasoned and articulate response. I'd probably prefer it in a pre-existing thread, but it beats the hell out of the usual rubbish that people post. "lolz, HB suck. RC 4 Lif3!!!1!" is just a waste of time. Good on you for at least being reasonable. It may not be everyones opinion but at least it's well written and sensible and a fair critique of a product which I'm sure there are other consumers with similar opinions.</SPAN>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts