• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I need to know which position I would play

ThatRugbyGuy

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
I'm 15 years old, 5"4 (yes, its short) and about 50 kg. I can run fast but not fast enough for wing or centre and I am quite bulky (not fat)
if anyone could tell me which position I would most likely play, I would be grateful.
Thanks.

Without seeing you play and therefore having no idea of your skill level and ability I'd say you have the physical attributes for scrumhalf. As a matter of interest what level and where (as in school/club) will you be playing at?

depends what aspects in the game u get involved with for example whether you get involved in rucks and mauls or whether your a play maker. play maker = backs (doesnt really matter about speed if you have skill) rucks and mauls = forwards. dont always aspire to wat others say. just because all scrum halfs are normally the smallest man on the field doesnt mean u cant change that. i am 16 and 5 5" i play blindside flanker. i was picked to play there by my coaches it wasnt a position i really wanted to play, aslong as you have potential you could play any position. take a leaf from Neil Backs book 5 10" openside flanker. you should also take a look at shane williams story found on rugby dump as it shows you his problems being 5 7" for example. they tryed to make him something he wasnt which made him a badder player than what he could achieve. he was finally moved to wing which created one of the most remarkable legends in rugby history. maybe this is what you should do ask your coaches what position they think suits you even if you dont like that position you should still give it ago. just like sean ferris did in his movie in forever strong however thats a different story....

I'm 15 years old, 5"4 (yes, its short) and about 50 kg. I can run fast but not fast enough for wing or centre and I am quite bulky (not fat) if anyone could tell me which position I would most likely play, I would be grateful. Thanks.
Have you ever played rugby before? Your coach will find the besr position for you. But you can have a go at flank or 8th. If you love to tackle try the flanks. And enjoy the game and the spirit of it. That was the great driving force behind amateur rugby.

I have played wing before for my old club but I didn't like it and failed quite terribly. I'm probably about intermediate level and I do like tackling people because when I was wing I received quite a few bad tackles. I might try flank or 8, it sounds alright

I like the idea of flank. I'm quite a calm person apart from when i'm tackling someone, so lock probably won't suit me, i'm not one of those like Mick O'Driscoll who constantly look unhappy, or donncha o'callaghan who likes hitting people

What about hooker you would certainly get into the game playing there :)

I've trained as a hooker. The hooker for my old team punches people in a ruck, its frustrating as hell

Try hooker and fullback

wouldnt say hooker and fullback wer the most a like players on the pitch but they both entail the same gameplay and both require good fitness and good tackling ability.

wouldnt say hooker and fullback wer the most a like players on the pitch but they both entail the same gameplay and both require good fitness and good tackling ability.

He's only 15, he can swap and change positions to his liking.
As you say they both entail the same gameplay, good fitness and tackling. Just taking into account that he's not fast enough for wing or centre, i'm guessing he's not skillful or knowledgeable of the game enough for 9 or 10 either.

So if he's quite bulky and short, hooker seems like a good position for him, and you don't have to be particularly tall to play fullback at the age of 15 either, just gotta have some ******** to make the last ditch tackles and the willingness to get stuck in.

Last edited:
Poor lad; comes to a rugby forum asking advice with no clear answer so far. That said and having no memory of what u16 rugby was like I have to say it is up in the air however. Best would be to just start somewhere and then move on as you get to know the game better and develop.

I started at lock because I was tall for my age, moved to no.8 and ended up on the wing because though I am tall and fast I was just too damn lazy to get stuck in and liked to have a run with ball in hand rather. Suited me just fine hanging back fielding kicks and then running it back or chasing kicks and blindsiding the catchers (I can't remember recieving the ball much from my centers LOL). You'll find what you like and what you're good at along the way and many skills you learn in one position come in handy in another and might just set you apart at your level.

Poor lad; comes to a rugby forum asking advice with no clear answer so far. That said and having no memory of what u16 rugby was like I have to say it is up in the air however. Best would be to just start somewhere and then move on as you get to know the game better and develop.

I started at lock because I was tall for my age, moved to no.8 and ended up on the wing because though I am tall and fast I was just too damn lazy to get stuck in and liked to have a run with ball in hand rather. Suited me just fine hanging back fielding kicks and then running it back or chasing kicks and blindsiding the catchers (I can't remember recieving the ball much from my centers LOL). You'll find what you like and what you're good at along the way and many skills you learn in one position come in handy in another and might just set you apart at your level.

This is good advice, i now play lock and have done for quite a while....but when younger i played Prop, Flanker, & FB.

I think at the level your at playing somewhere and seeing how it goes is the best you can do. You might find yourself winning turn overs all day and playing 7 or wanting to get stuck in as a Hooker. Only time will tell.

Latest posts