• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I quit playing for awhile

U

USArugger

My daughter got me GT4 for the PS2 so I'm playing that for the moment. I'll pick it up again after a couple weeks and see if it is any better. But dang, then NCAA Football 2006 comes out. Choices, choices...

GT4... meh - Too boring and repettitive. Nice graphics though.

NCAA... If that's what floats your boat. Dunno how Ametuers can be more fun than pros in a video game.

Rugby 2005... Gets boring after a while. Left for a couple of weeks and it regains a bit of spark. Glad I didn't pay for it. Roll on the sequel.

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Jun 25 2005, 05:56 AM
NCAA... If that's what floats your boat. Dunno how Ametuers can be more fun than pros in a video game.
It's a . . . it's a . . . uuuuuuuhhh, how do I explain this . . .

. . . dude, it's College Football. It's a religon over here. More fanatical support than anything. Even when I was burnt out on football, I still kept my ears up for college ball.

Even in a video game.

College football is a whole different atmosphere than the NFL. You have massive tailgating parties on gorgeous university campuses with all the good looking college ladies. The marching bands, student sections, fraternity parties, and heated rivalries make it a completely excellent experience. The stadiums are mostly older architecture (compared to the NFL) and every game-day experience in a different town is totally unique. I go to games where I don't even care about either of the teams playing just to check out the stadium and the whole "experience". You also find much more variety in offenses and defenses. Some teams still run the option, others line up in the I formation and run it down your throat, some play an NFL style game, and others play 5 wide-receivers on almost every play.

The NFL (don't get me wrong I'm a die-hard NFL fan too) seems so sterilized with canned music blasting through speakers, giant sterile stadiums, and little atmosphere outside the tailgate lot and a few close-by pubs. The option doesn't work, nobody can really run the ball down anyone else's throat, and it just seems almost too professional sometimes.

I love both levels of football, but there are definitely reasons to love college football.

It's hard to get anyone from outside the USA to appreciate college football and I don't expect you to. Hell, much of America doesn't appreciate it. Explaining college football to someone who has never been to a game in person is like trying to explain cricket. You gotta try it to appreciate it.

the only thing which annoys me bout american sport is that some americans think that it is the only sport and they turn there nose up to footie and rugby,

however those two sports are global, for example 1.5 billion people will tune in to watch the "soccer" wc final thats alot more than any american sport can attract, yes the nfl or whatever its called may be big in the usa and canada but thats prob the only country in the world where that is there national sport, whereas "soccer" is the national sport is almost every single country - and thats another thing that annoys me is that they call soccer - soccer. Soccer is football - thats what it is called in most countries, it was set up long before american football as we like to call it.

I however dont mind hockey, or basketball but i find baseball a little dry.

ive never seen college football - but ive heared that it is alot more passion involved, and that rivalries are often fierce.

Originally posted by USArugger@Jun 25 2005, 07:27 AM
I love both levels of football, but there are definitely reasons to love college football.
In all seriousness though, an NFL team would cream a college team every day of the week wouldn't they?

Originally posted by sanzar+Jun 26 2005, 05:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jun 26 2005, 05:38 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-USArugger
@Jun 25 2005, 07:27 AM
In all seriousness though, an NFL team would cream a college team every day of the week wouldn't they? [/b]
Depends... is the NFL team the Arizona Cardinals?

Originally posted by Ripper+Jun 26 2005, 05:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Jun 26 2005, 05:55 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Jun 26 2005, 05:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-USArugger
@Jun 25 2005, 07:27 AM

In all seriousness though, an NFL team would cream a college team every day of the week wouldn't they?
Depends... is the NFL team the Arizona Cardinals? [/b]
Ok, say equivilents... like would the best college team come anywhere near the Patriots?

Originally posted by Wally@Jun 26 2005, 05:46 PM
Am I ever going to know if you did your signature Sanzar?

I need sex.
Check your PM's

As for the sex, well I can't really help you there, as you'd have to be an awfuly attractive bloke and have a fair bit of cash for me to consider switching sides for a night
<

Try GG, he may be able to help though.

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Jun 26 2005, 07:02 PM
yeah..try a gay dude..he mite help you out and gets one of his mates
And get one of his mates?
<

For you??
<

Originally posted by Confused@Jun 25 2005, 12:24 PM
Explaining college football to someone who has never been to a game in person is like trying to explain cricket.
thats really low dude. bringing cricket into it. the british government has already apologised for spreading the cricket epidemic to the colonies. you cannot compare any other sport to the ******* hybrid child of rounders and morris dancing.

Originally posted by davidson+Jun 27 2005, 11:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (davidson @ Jun 27 2005, 11:30 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Confused
@Jun 25 2005, 12:24 PM
Explaining college football to someone who has never been to a game in person is like trying to explain cricket.
thats really low dude. bringing cricket into it. the british government has already apologised for spreading the cricket epidemic to the colonies. you cannot compare any other sport to the ******* hybrid child of rounders and morris dancing. [/b]
I'd say thats an adaquate parrallel wouldn't you?
<

I'm not the biggest fan of gridiron
<

american football is just a metaphor for the history of the united states.

dressing up in tight trousers and rediculous headgear, calling yourselves the patriots, cowboys, redskins and browns and poceding to take other peoples land by force. whilst at the same time creating the biggest fanfare imaginable to distract the viewer from the actual isssue of the game.
(dont get me wrong, its a good laugh and i played for my uni team as well as the gb university bulldogs but that was only because back problems took me out of rugby.)

dont even get me started on nascar man. i know formula 1 aint up to much at the moment but even at the american grand prix you could tell that the 6 cars in the race were giving a dazzling display of being able to turn left AND right.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
american football is just a metaphor for the history of the united states.

dressing up in tight trousers and rediculous headgear, calling yourselves the patriots, cowboys, redskins and browns and poceding to take other peoples land by force. whilst at the same time creating the biggest fanfare imaginable to distract the viewer from the actual isssue of the game.
(dont get me wrong, its a good laugh and i played for my uni team as well as the gb university bulldogs but that was only because back problems took me out of rugby.)

dont even get me started on nascar man. i know formula 1 aint up to much at the moment but even at the american grand prix you could tell that the 6 cars in the race were giving a dazzling display of being able to turn left AND right.[/b]

very god read - makes alot of sense as well.

Latest posts