• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I was enjoying this game........

powerman

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
England
Initially i thought this game was pretty good......but now I've completely changed my mind because of one thing; The AI.

Easy and normal are way too easy and as soon as you play in hard mode the AI starts with it's outright cheating, you want examples? Okay;

1- I was playing against France, they were giving away penalty after penalty for handling in the ruck and dangerous tackles, i counted.......turns out they did a total of 16 of these penalties, without a single booking. The first time i get called for handling in the ruck i get a red card........ then later on (After yet more AI penalties with no cards) i give away my second penalty of the game....yellow card.....WTF!!!!!! This has happened multiple times against multiple teams.

2- How come the AI can run straight off the back of a Ruck/Maul/Scrum and get a few good yards, while my players look on aimlessly, but if i try it; as soon as i pick up the ball BAM, tackled!

3- The AI magically becomes the greatest spear tackling team in the world as soon as you get within 5m of their try line.

4- Lineouts. Seriously, WTF?! They just take mine away whenever it's a crucial moment, why?!

5- I've had a scrum that the opposition will collapse repeatable (Seemingly infinite loop, so long as i keep pushing in the same way each time) inside their own 22, the ref just resets the scrum.....no penalty, no card....even after the 12th reset in a row! I collapse one a bit later and....surprise, surprise......penalty.

6- From the kick-off, if the AI kicker kicks a high ball to the off side (Sorry, not sure of the technical term here) i.e the opposite side to where the forwards are, their player will always manage to catch it, even when I'm under it and jump to get it.....

There's plenty more, but i just can't be bothered to list them all.

The game as a whole seems way to focused on the statistics of the teams, rather than on me playing it. It's like "Hey, they've got a higher overall rating than you, so they get to win the lineout....and the ruck......and the scrum............."

I'm seriously thinking of throwing this game out of the window in my rage!!!

Last edited:
Initially i thought this game was pretty good......but now I've completely changed my mind because of one thing; The AI.

Easy and normal are way too easy and as soon as you play in hard mode the AI starts with it's outright cheating, you want examples? Okay;

1- I was playing against France, they were giving away penalty after penalty for handling in the ruck and dangerous tackles, i counted.......turns out they did a total of 16 of these penalties, without a single booking. The first time i get called for handling in the ruck i get a red card........ then later on (After yet more AI penalties with no cards) i give away my second penalty of the game....yellow card.....WTF!!!!!! This has happened multiple times against multiple teams.

2- How come the AI can run straight off the back of a Ruck/Maul/Scrum and get a few good yards, while my players look on aimlessly, but if i try it; as soon as i pick up the ball BAM, tackled!

3- The AI magically becomes the greatest spear tackling team in the world as soon as you get within 5m of their try line.

4- Lineouts. Seriously, WTF?! They just take mine away whenever it's a crucial moment, why?!

The game as a whole seems way to focused on the statistics of the teams, rather than on me playing it. It's like "Hey, they've got a higher overall rating than you, so they get to win the lineout....and the ruck......and the scrum............."

Never found problems like that (at least not as severe as that). Probably win 90% of scrums on hard, 80-90% of the rucks I take the ball into, 60-70% of Lineouts on my throw, 20-30% against the throw. I tend to find a way through the defence fairly often when I'm attacking their line. Not sure why your getting problems like these. Even ardent critics of this game have only experienced some of these problems on hard, sometimes.

Seriously considering throwing the game out the window in rage? A lot of people do have problems solving what initially appear to be complex problems, no need to throw it away in rage.

Last edited:
Nothing more satisfying as a rage-quit or rage-break. :lol:

In saying that, bought the game launch day, played it. Thought to myself, this is Rugby 2008 with the RW2011 overlay on top minus the ABs. Took it back pretty much straight away and got Rugby Challenge. Haven't looked back. :)

How's customisation like? never got to get a look into in terms of patching the game etc. (On PS3)

Never found problems like that (at least not as severe as that). Probably win 90% of scrums on hard, 80-90% of the rucks I take the ball into, 60-70% of Lineouts on my throw, 20-30% against the throw. I tend to find a way through the defence fairly often when I'm attacking their line. Not sure why your getting problems like these. Even ardent critics of this game have only experienced some of these problems on hard, sometimes.

Seriously considering throwing the game out the window in rage? A lot of people do have problems solving what initially appear to be complex problems, no need to throw it away in rage.

I'm fairly convinced that a lot of these problems materialize when playing as a team with a lower overall rating against a better team (I like to play the word cup mode as all the teams, so i get to play as everyone), but even then; just because Namibia are rubbish shouldn't mean that the other team gets to win every lineout and turn over every other ruck! I'm guessing you play primarily as the All-Blacks? (That's just going by the flag and location in your profile :-D) which may explain why you don't have the same problems, as i rarely get the above problems when playing as the higher ranked teams (Like England!!:p)either. It seems to me like this "Cheating" AI is the way the game has been made harder when playing as a lower ranked team.

Yeah, I'm probably not going to actually throw it out the window....that was just my rage at the time as i was literally writing the post during a game.

Also noticed a couple of other annoyances (Added to original post too);

-I've had a scrum that the opposition will collapse repeatable (Seemingly infinite loop, so long as i keep pushing in the same way each time) inside their own 22, the ref just resets the scrum.....no penalty, no card....even after the 12th reset in a row! I collapse one a bit later and....surprise, surprise......penalty.

-From the kick-off, if the AI kicker kicks a high ball to the off side (Sorry, not sure of the technical term here) i.e the opposite side to where the forwards are, their player will always manage to catch it, even when I'm under it and jump to get it.....

One of my biggest gripes is with camera angles. I hate the variable zoom. Just give me ultra-wide. Cross kicks are an absolute nightmare to cover.

Top tip: When you pick and drive, side step as soon as you move forward. You gain a few more metres each time.
I have gone into the philosophy of possession on oppositions 22= drop goal. Keeps the points going over.

I'm fairly convinced that a lot of these problems materialize when playing as a team with a lower overall rating against a better team (I like to play the word cup mode as all the teams, so i get to play as everyone), but even then; just because Namibia are rubbish shouldn't mean that the other team gets to win every lineout and turn over every other ruck! I'm guessing you play primarily as the All-Blacks? (That's just going by the flag and location in your profile :-D) which may explain why you don't have the same problems, as i rarely get the above problems when playing as the higher ranked teams (Like England!!:p)either. It seems to me like this "Cheating" AI is the way the game has been made harder when playing as a lower ranked team.

Yeah, I'm probably not going to actually throw it out the window....that was just my rage at the time as i was literally writing the post during a game.

Also noticed a couple of other annoyances (Added to original post too);

-I've had a scrum that the opposition will collapse repeatable (Seemingly infinite loop, so long as i keep pushing in the same way each time) inside their own 22, the ref just resets the scrum.....no penalty, no card....even after the 12th reset in a row! I collapse one a bit later and....surprise, surprise......penalty.

-From the kick-off, if the AI kicker kicks a high ball to the off side (Sorry, not sure of the technical term here) i.e the opposite side to where the forwards are, their player will always manage to catch it, even when I'm under it and jump to get it.....

No, I tend to play as Scotland, Italy or lower to give myself some kind of enjoyable challenge on hard. I think I had to win a world cup with Namibia on hard to get a trophy and did that.

5- I've had a scrum that the opposition will collapse repeatable (Seemingly infinite loop, so long as i keep pushing in the same way each time) inside their own 22, the ref just resets the scrum.....no penalty, no card....even after the 12th reset in a row! I collapse one a bit later and....surprise, surprise......penalty.

6- From the kick-off, if the AI kicker kicks a high ball to the off side (Sorry, not sure of the technical term here) i.e the opposite side to where the forwards are, their player will always manage to catch it, even when I'm under it and jump to get it.....

You have Poite mode turned on.

I used to find that on the Hardest mode it made the AI amazing, if ever i tried to pick and go i would get spear tackled and it took the fun out of the game completely. You can't win a match playing as you would in real life.

I did find Rugby Challege much better for this, as it's fairer and you can score trys like you would in reality. it's got a whole other load of problems but definately a step in the right direction.

Just wish there were some news about a new rugby game for 2013!

Latest posts