• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I would appreciate some tips

T

TigerScrum

i am a pretty new player but have established a respected role amongst my team as half back because of my ability to be a little beast around the ball. I would really appreciate any tips or drills that would help with my passing/kicking that i can do by myself and any characteristics of scrum halfs that really impact the game and i should get the be familiar with. I am capable of most things on the field but was really wondering how I can improve my game witht eh little things. Thanks

Also, how tall is the average scrum half on a high international level?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TigerScrum @ Oct 29 2009, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i am a pretty new player but have established a respected role amongst my team as half back because of my ability to be a little beast around the ball. I would really appreciate any tips or drills that would help with my passing/kicking that i can do by myself and any characteristics of scrum halfs that really impact the game and i should get the be familiar with. I am capable of most things on the field but was really wondering how I can improve my game witht eh little things. Thanks

Also, how tall is the average scrum half on a high international level?[/b]
Hey

The best thing to do is just kick and pass a ball around in the park or anywhere else. Just so you get comfortable holding, passing, catching and kicking the ball. Have a look at some match videos and watch what the professionals do.

The average scrum half is between 5 foot 8 (1.72m) to 6 foot (1.82m)

Being a member of the Front "lazy fat f***ers who lean against each other" Row Union, no educated tips here. But height doesn't appear to make much difference. Like Peter Stringer who can me mistaken for a tiny bald child, to the more brawny Mike Phillipses and Byron Kelleher's, the main thing is a good pass, balls and good decision making.

Tenacity, to me, is essential. I've tried to plug in players who had good ball handling skills into that position, but most didn't have the balls to go in to a ruck and get the ball out whilst under fire.

Hey TigerScrum

Kicking drill:

Box kicks have become an important part of scrum-half play, especially recently. I'd make learning this way to kick the ball a priority. Stepping back and putting the ball for an up-and-under (garryowen) is fairly simple, accuracy is an issue most of the time bacause of the swinging action the leg makes when kicking this way. You have a small range between putting the ball directly out to placing it smack bang in the center of the field.
One way to get your accuracy up to scratch it to try this kicking style while stand on the sideline, using the line as a gauge/measurement of your accuracy. Try do the full motion when practicing. Doing the back step before you kick the ball is vital because in the match situation you'll have players in front of you, obstructing your kicking height and angle.

Another nifty kicking technique to have done right is the grubber/cross kick. Fourie Du Preez, the best player in the world, uses this superbly. When a player does a crash ball, particularly in the midfield, the defense will be up & flat straight after the ruck is formed. Getting to the base of the ruck quickly and nudging the ball to the sideline, behind the now flat defense, can play havoc with the opposition winger and can create opportunities for your winger. That's just one example of how a grubber kick can expand your influence in play, I'm sure you can come up with more ideas on how to use this.

Passing drill:

The snap pass is an important technique to have in your position. One way of getting better at this is lining a few balls (say 5 balls) on the ground, about 5 meters apart, lying as it would be after a ruck (pointy sides facing the sideline). Start your run-up about 5 meters behind the first ball, coming at a 45 degree angle. It's important that you come in at an angle as the time you'll use the snap pass is when the ball is being moved, so they'll most probably be coming from that kind of angle rather than dead-on.
As you're coming in, say from the left & passing right, pick the ball up and pass in one movement and carry on your run. It's important that you do this while running (fast jog), to help with the momentum since the whole point of a snap pass it to not 'cock' the pass, so to say. It's a quick flick of the wrist that gets the ball going.
Now you'll be line up for the 2nd ball but in the opposite direction, do everything the same but just opposite. And I mean opposite! Opposite passing action, opposite leg used in the passing stance, everything!

As a scrum-half you must be able to pass both ways. PERIOD. That's what separates the Mike Phillip's to the Fourie Du Preez's in this game.

Another tip to improve your general passing and handling is playing touch rugby. Touch is very popular among the youth of New Zealand and that's why imo they have the best players with ball in hand. It helps you get the fundamentals of handling and passing while having fun. Try it.

Thanks a lot for the quick replys. I have been working on kicking a lot lately. I can throw both handed but my left hand can be a bit dodgy when I get rattled. Thanks a bunch i' ll worrk on it

Latest posts