• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

if hansen wins another world cup he's gotta go.

yeah get rid of him before he starts winning more games . mr lackOfReason strikes again
this era has been way too golden for the ABs and has to stop.

All I'm reading from this is that Boyd wants Hansen's job
no, the writer is saying that ABs are flagging under hansen and even if ABs win the next world cup then hansen still as to go

The writer is a journalist - and this is exactly how political in-fighting happens (through the media) when it starts to get messy.

Boyd couldn't have flattered himself more if he had ghost-written it.

Note I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything in the article - except agreeing the ABs aren't as invincible as they're held up to be.

Last edited:
Note I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything in the article - except agreeing the ABs aren't as invincible as they're held up to be.
I Agee about the vulnerability but it's always been there. ABs have just had an awesome run but a lot of it has been luck. There have been a lot of games that could've gone either way.

When you have the best talent in the rugby world it stands to reason that an AB coach would be judged not on whether they could be the best team in the world (because they should be) but the manner of his victories and style of play.
Now that's extremely harsh but also the reality.

Personally I don't rate Hansen that highly, he's been out thought a few times and his selections (apart from Ioane) haven't been particularly inspired.
Overly critical? - definitely, but if I were an AB fan I wouldn't be averse to giving someone like Boyd/Robertson/Joseph/Rennie a go. It's not like Hansen hasn't had his time in the chair.

Overly critical? - definitely, but if I were an AB fan I wouldn't be averse to giving someone like Boyd/Robertson/Joseph/Rennie a go. It's not like Hansen hasn't had his time in the chair.
u know that ABs had 24 years worth of coaches where they couldn't win a world cup ?
and one of those coaches, laurieMains was easily the equal (if not better) than henry and hansen.
sure hansen hasnt been perfect, but you strive for perfection, your never gonna achieve it.
if hansen wins another WC and wants to stay on then i reckon let him. he's put in some awesome structures and processes that have to stay. for one the fitness regime the ABs are put under has to remain regardless of who the coach is.
his selections i havent always agreed with but a lot of them i ended up agreeing with him in the end.
eg 2015 i didnt think SBW had done enough to be in the WC team. but he definitely delivered when he got there.
joeMoody and nepoLaulala i wasnt a fan of and thought other props were better. theyve proven to be real work horses with never say die attitudes and now im opn the bandwagon.

just because you think you wouldve made better decisions than hansen, you gotta realise that the decisions could've been a lot worse (eg johnMitchell dropping christianCullen). hansen gives it his best and his best so far has provided ABs fans with an incredibly long long golden era. the longest i have have ever had the priviledge of watching in my 40 yrs.

Am I alone in thinking that it's actually very fair to seriously question Hansen's coaching ability? On the Lions tour 3/5 Super Rugby teams managed to beat the Lions (ok, they weren't first choice Lions sides but they were still a collection of the best players in the NH) yet Hansen, able to cherry pick players from those SR sides wasn't able to win the series. In my eyes that's pretty dire TBH.

Am I alone in thinking that it's actually very fair to seriously question Hansen's coaching ability? On the Lions tour 3/5 Super Rugby teams managed to beat the Lions (ok, they weren't first choice Lions sides but they were still a collection of the best players in the NH) yet Hansen, able to cherry pick players from those SR sides wasn't able to win the series. In my eyes that's pretty dire TBH.
but the 2 world cups and 80% success record does nothing for you?
the lions grew and survived baptism by fire to become an awesome team. lions deserved their draw and took the ABs to the wire. ABs arent gods and shouldn't just win everything by turning up.
cant blame hansen for a refs call of accidental offside or SBW putting in a high shot.
but setting aside that one series result, how about all his other achievements?
season undefeated? average of losing less than one game a season? world cup? 80% success rate?
this is a golden era that was started by henry but hansens is totally to blame for extending it imho

On one hand it's hard to blame Hansen for that red card... but on the other if we'd only had a decent kicker it would have been a blackwash, (or 2-0 at least), so yeah fair call.

but the 2 world cups and 80% success record does nothing for you?
the lions grew and survived baptism by fire to become an awesome team. lions deserved their draw and took the ABs to the wire. ABs arent gods and shouldn't just win everything by turning up.
cant blame hansen for a refs call of accidental offside or SBW putting in a high shot.
but setting aside that one series result, how about all his other achievements?
season undefeated? average of losing less than one game a season? world cup? 80% success rate?
this is a golden era that was started by henry but hansens is totally to blame for extending it imho
I think he's fine but he's nothing special. I think that considering he's got what is easily the best collection of players in the world at his disposal the fact that he failed to win that series and took that loss to Australia is pretty poor. In fact I think that Australia loss is a perfect example of how much that team relies on the individual ability of its players and not his coaching set up; you take Barrett out of the equation and the team crumbles. You give that ABs squad to the likes of Schmidt and they sky rocket.

On one hand it's hard to blame Hansen for that red card... but on the other if we'd only had a decent kicker it would have been a blackwash, (or 2-0 at least), so yeah fair call.
barrett had a bad night. wasnt it next game (and every other game after that) he's hardly missed any

I think he's fine but he's nothing special. I think that considering he's got what is easily the best collection of players in the world at his disposal the fact that he failed to win that series and took that loss to Australia is pretty poor. In fact I think that Australia loss is a perfect example of how much that team relies on the individual ability of its players and not his coaching set up; you take Barrett out of the equation and the team crumbles. You give that ABs squad to the likes of Schmidt and they sky rocket.
kinda agree he's nothing special, but i'd like to point out that ABs had 24 years worth of coaches that couldn't win a world cup, including henry and hansen. at a minimum hansen hasnt f*** it up and when its a game of inches that difference is often enough .
the game lost to aus was a dead rubber and the ABs were tired. not an excuse cos they still shoulda won, but if your gonna lose games then i prefer the ones that mean nothing. bledisloe and RC was already in the bag.
upside of a loss is it releases pressure and teaches u lessons. ABs cant win everything all the time.
schmidt would probably be a good coach.

tough situation.
Hansen is a good coach but I honestly think we have better options now, but how do you replace a coaching team that is doing so well
I also think maintaining the culture in the squad that Henry created and Hansen has maintained is critical.
I'd like to see Hansen go after 2019 and give someone else a go. But I would like to see his replacement spend some time with the squad beforehand.

I thought the handling of the Lions series was poor and I was surprised by that, it made me realize Hansen's limitations as a coach that the previous generation masked (McCaw, Carter, C.Smith etc).

His selection of debutants and dropping some players that had done the business in previous years was ill-timed, I'm still confused by his handling of that test series, to be honest. Maybe this affected the team spirit too?

I think at times he has been exposed and has let the team fall into a bad mindset, the Ireland loss in USA comes to mind and the disorganization of the team in the Lions series and the two Australian games after we trounced them in the first game last RC.

On the End of the year tour, we finished the Scotland game poorly too. We definitely have room for improvement and with the squad and depth we have, we should be more consistent. Schmidt would definitely be my bloke to take over.

I still think Hansen has created a good environment for the players and structures for the side, also very thankful for the results over the years, but after the 2015 RWC I think someone with more hunger was probably the best option for us going forward, anyhow, we shall see, I'm still happy with him taking the team.

I though this might be interesting, but I stopped when I read this bit.......

"MARK REASON"

I think with the New rules, the AB's should aim to play with more possession.

Latest posts