• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

If the Olympics were held this year (with rugby in it)..

D

danger

What would your team look like?

Silver Medalists- South Africa

Spies
Floors
Kankowski

FDP
Habana
JDV
Pienaar

Gold Medalists- NZ

McCaw
Messam
Vito

Carter
Nonu
Sivivatu
Toeava

Ohhh that match would be so awesome..

For one I highly doubt the big name players will play, it will be similar line ups to the 7's world series.

Yeah right, those look like 7's teams... Fiji would wipe the floor with them.

Well if Rugby was in the Olympics this year it would be quite tough, not sure the islanders would appreciate canadian winter even if it is the west coast.

Well, who is going to be in TeamGB's line up? All the Unions are up for it mostly because they're (slightly) less arrogant, paranoid and selfish idiots than the FA, SFA and WFA are...

How are the Scottish 7s team? I don't think i've ever watched them play,
Is it going to be fairly even in the GB team, or is it more likely to be a team England/Wales with a token scot on the bench?

To be honest, I'm not sure and I think it'll be up to TeamGB to decide that.

Sooo, who is in charge of Elite Performance over there in Athletics land?

Clive_Woodward_360x270.JPG

....uh oh...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Oct 12 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is it going to be fairly even in the GB team, or is it more likely to be a team England/Wales with a token scot on the bench?[/b]

The real cat amongst the pigeons will be separating the Irish from Northern Irish. Expect lots of arguing, followed by flag burning, to follow.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 12 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
To be honest, I'm not sure and I think it'll be up to TeamGB to decide that.

Sooo, who is in charge of Elite Performance over there in Athletics land?

Clive_Woodward_360x270.JPG

....uh oh...[/b]

TWAAAAAAA........erm idiot. :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 12 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Oct 12 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it going to be fairly even in the GB team, or is it more likely to be a team England/Wales with a token scot on the bench?[/b]

The real cat amongst the pigeons will be separating the Irish from Northern Irish. Expect lots of arguing, followed by flag burning, to follow.
[/b][/quote]
I'd be surprised if that many play for GB. If they do fair play and all but Tommy Bowe will play for Ireland and it would only be Ferris who'd be left then(a big loss but Heaslip would be my man for 7's)

GB will be mostly Wales with a generous amount of English players.

My SA dream team;

Ryan Kankowski
Jean Deysel
Pierre Spies

Fourie du Preez
Francois Hougaard
Juan de Jongh
Bryan Habana

although players with 7s experience would probably be wiser. I remember guys like Chris Latham for AUS not being as effective in 7s as he is in Union for te 7s Commonwealth games a few years back.

I predict SA, NZ, GB and Fiji to be the main contenders. In that order.

Would rugby in the Olympics be like football in terms of the squad must be under 23 with a couple of older players only? Making it a squad of 15 or so with it being 25 or under would allow many younger players, who wouldnt normally get the chance in the 15 a side game, to get high level experience.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 13 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah right, those look like 7's teams... Fiji would wipe the floor with them.[/b]

Well i chose the South African team largely on raw talent so id give you that.

But everyone in the NZ team i chose have sevens experience bar Carter and McCaw, and i dont think its too outlandish to assume they would be quite handy.

Messam captained the NZ sevens side when he was 20, Vito was a star in sevens, Nonu and Toeava were both in the NZ sec schools sevens but always had super 14 commitments so never had a chance to play for the NZ team. They would have waltzed in if they had the opportunity. Sivivatu speaks for himself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Oct 13 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For one I highly doubt the big name players will play, it will be similar line ups to the 7's world series.[/b]

What do you base that assumption on? All Blacks have played in the commonwealth games. Lomu himself has a medal, and that was a joke competition compared to the olympics. Every professional rugby player and his dog has said in the media that they would play at the olympics if they had the chance. i cant see the NZRU standing in their way, they have been overly supportive of the idea.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 12 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 13 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah right, those look like 7's teams... Fiji would wipe the floor with them.[/b]

Well i chose the South African team largely on raw talent so id give you that.

But everyone in the NZ team i chose have sevens experience bar Carter and McCaw, and i dont think its too outlandish to assume they would be quite handy.

Messam captained the NZ sevens side when he was 20, Vito was a star in sevens, Nonu and Toeava were both in the NZ sec schools sevens but always had super 14 commitments so never had a chance to play for the NZ team. They would have waltzed in if they had the opportunity. Sivivatu speaks for himself.[/b][/quote]

Just because a player is a household name and has some experience doesn't mean he'll necessarily be good in international sevens - Most players who regularly train for the XV game can't even hack it at club level - Just look at the Middlesex Sevens and how the invitational teams like Samuari and the British Army can easily wipe the floor with with most club sides who play together at XV.

Lets look at your players;

McCaw - A fetcher and ground-worker at heart. Great at XV, but utterly useless abilities in 7s. His tackling is good, but he's too slow and doesn't have the ball in hand game to suit.
Messam - Decent enough blindside, not a world beater though. Wrong sort of player, nowhere near agile enough.
Vito - Bit more like it.

Carter - Most of his talents would go to waste on the sevens circuit. Not entirely sure on the need for and out and out standoff.
Nonu - Would be about as effective as Mike Tindall without the defensive abilities.
Sivivatu - Got the pace and talent... Not been particularly well as of late however.
Toeava - Agains, a sevens player anyway.

You put them up against a team of (I'll use England to highlight my point) John Brake, Andy Vilk, Ben Gollings, Tom Biggs, Uche Odouza, Ollie Philips & Chris Cracknell, it wouldn't be an upset of England won.

Then throw somewhere like Fiji or South Africa into the mix and they can forget about it.

NZ would want to use their experienced sevens players, the ones like Zar Lawrence & Julian Savea who finished 4th last year in the IRB sevens.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Oct 12 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 12 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
I'd be surprised if that many play for GB. If they do fair play and all but Tommy Bowe will play for Ireland and it would only be Ferris who'd be left then(a big loss but Heaslip would be my man for 7's)
[/b][/quote]

Why would you want either? I'd imagine players like Best and Wilson being better suited the Ferris and Heaslip tbh - Which being as they're from Ulster does throw the issue into the wringer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Oct 12 2009, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 12 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
If Tommy Bowe were considered for 7's why do you think he'd choose GB over ROI? I'd assume most of the ruggers would stick to the set up they are familiar with, which would be an All-Ireland team. There's not a lot of bickering and flag bruning as it is with the Olympics concerning this issue, so why should rugby add that?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 12 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Oct 12 2009, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
If Tommy Bowe were considered for 7's why do you think he'd choose GB over ROI? I'd assume most of the ruggers would stick to the set up they are familiar with, which would be an All-Ireland team. There's not a lot of bickering and flag bruning as it is with the Olympics concerning this issue, so why should rugby add that?
[/b][/quote]

Because <strike>he was born in Northern Ireland</strike>, which is part of Great Britain and team GB. Not EIRE or team Ireland.

The bickering and flag burning is an age old issue which until now has been easily avoided by rugby. However, <strike>British Isles</strike> the Lions can't be used to stop the inevitable arguing this time.

Edit: My mistake, he's from Monaghan therefore team Ireland qualified.

Hang on, hang on..surely if the team is "Great Britain & Northern Ireland" then that would mean that players born in..er..Northern Ireland would thus be part of TeamGB? :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 12 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hang on, hang on..surely if the team is "Great Britain & Northern Ireland" then that would mean that players born in..er..Northern Ireland would thus be part of TeamGB? :huh:[/b]

they've always had the choice of either team.

It's not set in stone Prestwick, under the good friday agreement anybody born on the island of Ireland is entitled to Citizenship in the Republic Of Ireland, and many Soccer players for example from the north choose to represent the Republic. Paddy Barnes who won Bronze for Ireland in Bejing was born and reared in Belfast.

As was pointed out on here before by An Tarbh, Tommy Bowe was born in the Republic of Ireland and sings Amhrán na bhFiann, he would be playing for Ireland.

Anyway....

David Wallace
Jamie Heaslip
Niall Ronan

Tomás O'Leary
Luke Fitzgerald
Fionn Carr
Keith Earls

Is it fair that our (British) taxes get pumped into Northern Irishmen who can chose then to play for ROI at sport?

Anyway, my 7s team, picked from 15s players:

Tom Croft - fast, good hands
Lee Mears - great in the loose
Steffon Armitage - fast and physical

Shane Williams - has played scrum half before, can get stuff kick-started
Shane Geraghty - my personal choice as a flair stand off, could have Hook/ Cipriani as well.
Matthew Tait - quick, creative and very experienced in 7s
Ugo Monye - fastest player in GB. Every team needs a speedster.

Latest posts