• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

If you could change ONE rule tonight what would it be?

Jack Reacher

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Silly question, but I'd like to get peoples thoughts.
There are still obvious problems with scrums and maul interpretations but that will never be fixed, so maybe a rule change that would have immediate effect.

I think the rule that would make the game so much better for the viewer would be stopping the clock after tries. It is such a waste of time, 30 odd seconds celebrating, 1 minute to kick conversions x 4-5 tries a match, near 6-7 minutes

That the All Blacks always have to win. And I'd like to see what would go on if we all drove on the left side in France for one night.

No I like that rule, my boss is Irish and we have a lot of NZ business clients - he said he was nearly sick on sunday, with both initially excitement over his potential emails then absolute gut wrenching illness in having to read his emails!!

I'd like to add a multicoloured card called the Multicard to the game. The referee doesn't get the card though, the team captains get one each and they can show it to the referee once per game to overrule his decision or your opponent's multicard. I think it would add a little jeopody. :D For example Do you use your card to keep a cynical player on the pitch? Or do you keep it for when your team scores a try and the opposing captain multicards the try but then you multicard his multi-card. Simple really. ;)

Of course you may have to turn the volume down on the ref link to avoid phrases like "I'm gonna multicard your ass Bleepingbleeper!"

Last edited:
Back row forwards are immune to being penalised for hands in the ruck.

Bet you can't guess where I play?

I'd like to add a multicoloured card called the Multicard to the game. The referee doesn't get the card though, the team captains get one each and they can show it to the referee once per game to overrule his decision or your opponent's multicard. I think it would add a little jeopody. :D For example Do you use your card to keep a cynical player on the pitch? Or do you keep it for when your team scores a try and the opposing captain multicards the try but then you multicard his multi-card. Simple really. ;)

Bit like crickets TMO then, I think captains should be able to report blatant fowl play and the ref can instruct the TMO to have a look, only if the process is instant, plus I don't like the fact the ref watches the replay on the big screen when he calls for a replay as the crowd can easily swing his opinion should be cctv.

That the All Blacks always have to win.

I agree with that. People don't understand the kind of pressure that the All-Blacks must carry every single test match. If you've ever been in a situation in life where you're the best at smt, and somebody beats you just that one off-day, and you get shyt for days and days and weeks some times...it's like that, but a hundredfold for the AB.
They're 23 human beings on the field for 80 minutes, and in this day and age, all Tier 1 nations even others play at a high, professional level. I've always felt like it's incredible after a century of Rugby we haven't caught up with them, I mean, why aren't France or Wales just as good on attack, or at least close ?
They've maintained that distance and this year even separated more from the rest.

But we shouldn't take it for granted. I used to say before Tours: "NZ are beating Scotland, Ireland, Italy...they've never lost to them before, so it's a given". That's silly thinking. They still have to come out and respond to a challenge each time against teams that have beaten SA, AUS, ENG, WAL, FRA etc...

The most important point is: they don't have an aura of invincibility like mythical characters in fantasy fiction. They really do, humanely, and with their defined limits, have to go out and make their score higher after 80minutes each and every time.
So we've taken their 7 tries in a match, their scoring 40, their crazy win-streaks and all their strengths for granted when in reality they've worked hard for every single inch and pound of their quality.

Now to put a little spice in this (I know it's off topic buuuut...): but can they be the first ever side to win two RWC in a row ?..

Bit like crickets TMO then, I think captains should be able to report blatant fowl play and the ref can instruct the TMO to have a look, only if the process is instant, plus I don't like the fact the ref watches the replay on the big screen when he calls for a replay as the crowd can easily swing his opinion should be cctv.

Well I think you are treating my post with more seriousness than it deserved, but you've taken it into an interesting place. I doubt the stoppage in play will be popular with the TV Mogals but it would be good for settling a few arguments about the how that particular referee always persecutes that particular team. And who knows how it would of affected the SA vs Aus RWC 2011 Quarterfinal!?!

As far as the crowd influencing the ref goes, it would certainly depend on how strong willed the referee is. The TMO review was never meant to be used by the ref, but the refs were never fans of the review because they saw it as a devolvement of their duties. I get the feeling that the refs may have kicked off at the IRB behind closed doors and this compromise of letting the ref watch the rerun and make his decision is the result.

Can't kick it straight out from a quick lineout. It's so annoying when you see a great tactical kick deep into the opposition 22 and they take a quick one and boot it straight out for an unthreatening lineout near halfway. Not good for the game.

Well I think you are treating my post with more seriousness than it deserved, but you've taken it into an interesting place. I doubt the stoppage in play will be popular with the TV Mogals but it would be good for settling a few arguments about the how that particular referee always persecutes that particular team. And who knows how it would of affected the SA vs Aus RWC 2011 Quarterfinal!?!

As far as the crowd influencing the ref goes, it would certainly depend on how strong willed the referee is. The TMO review was never meant to be used by the ref, but the refs were never fans of the review because they saw it as a devolvement of their duties. I get the feeling that the refs may have kicked off at the IRB behind closed doors and this compromise of letting the ref watch the rerun and make his decision is the result.

I knew you were having a laugh, but I straightened the rudder! Heres a silly one if you like - a player fields a grubber kick, jumps in the air to avoid being tackled, so the tackler is then penalised for tackling a player in the air......oh wait that happened on Sunday.
I don't like if refs use the replay to find reasons NOT to award the try, thats a bit negative. I felt Owens did that on Sunday with NZs last gasp try, there was no real reason to go to the video. There has to be some visual doubt not a perceived potential fowl.

The Ability to remove George Clancy from International Referring.

Going off that, 2 Referees on the field like NRL. Allows for multiple interpretations and better positioning.

Example: Clancy see's no Obstruction in the play, However Nigel Owen is bemused with Clancy and gives him a slap across the face and penalizes England for the blatant Obstruction. If only

Can't kick it straight out from a quick lineout. It's so annoying when you see a great tactical kick deep into the opposition 22 and they take a quick one and boot it straight out for an unthreatening lineout near halfway. Not good for the game.

I dont like the quick lineout anyway. It gives 100% control to the throwing team where one of rugbys fundamental codes is that both teams get to compete for every possession. Its even a rule, if there is a player from both teams in position a lineout is formed, until then a lineout isn't formed so technically how can they take a 'quick lineout'

I dont like the quick lineout anyway. It gives 100% control to the throwing team where one of rugbys fundamental codes is that both teams get to compete for every possession. Its even a rule, if there is a player from both teams in position a lineout is formed, until then a lineout isn't formed so technically how can they take a 'quick lineout'
I guess the (casual) fans want continuity and counter-attacks with the ball in play for longer so I can see why the IRB likes them but it defeats the purpose if they're just going to kick the ball straight out of play again in an unthreatening position.

Going off that, 2 Referees on the field like NRL. Allows for multiple interpretations and better positioning.

Example: Clancy see's no Obstruction in the play, However Nigel Owen is bemused with Clancy and gives him a slap across the face and penalizes England for the blatant Obstruction. If only

If you get that passed, I'm marching in and starting on broadcasters....any confirmed sighting of John Inverdale doing an 'arty piece' prior to a test match, any member of the public may take the law into his own hands and 'put him in witness protection'

The ability to remove Craig Joubert from international reffing and to remove the stain of Derek Bevan and Andre Watson from world history.

I mean really?
Is that too much to ask??

I'm not totally happy with the expanded TMO powers (not sure if it's a universal thing, or a hemisphere thing). Going to the TMO for nearly every try (even the obvious ones), or going a bazillion phases back, or checking to see if a bigarse forward gave someone noogies in the ruck (i.e. checking on what's obviously a minor, non-penalizable offense) slows the game down just too much, and makes me feel as if the referees on the ground just aren't as confident, or as in control of the game, as they were in the past now that they can pass the buck to the TMO. It also makes the touch/assistant refs nearly obsolete except for determining when and where a ball goes into touch.

das

Last edited:

Latest posts