• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

If you had to...

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
see how I made it so mysterious there, you thought "eh I bet it's not even interesting" but still clicked on it because, face it, you're a loser and you'd just about click any new thread on this website ??...

Anyways: this one is going to be a treat for the English fans mostly I predict.

If you had to redo a B&I Lions roster right now, let's say a full 23 or just XV if you're lazy, what would it be ?

It's interesting to me because of just how fast things moved in world Rugby from 2013 to 2014. As it's being discussed on the 'SA vs WAL Test 1' thread, Wales have transformed or rather haven't transformed and the Rugby world environment has.
England were good in 2013 but there wasn't a guy who'd make the fantasy World XV back then, and it's changed big time now.
Of course don't be a cock and be objective and not totally biased towards your nation...

Note: And you have to provide a coach.

As a testament to my boredom and loving the reaction of some I'm going to try and breath life into this thread. We need a good Lions argument.

I'm understanding this as picking right now and ignoring injuries. Expect a lot of WTF? and Irish bias.

1. Cian Healy - best loosehead in the world as voted by TRF (sorry England) has a good habit of playing well vs NZ
2. Rory Best - one bad year does not a bad player make. Ireland won 93% of their lineout ball. Great at the breakdown and on defense.
3. Dave Wilson - bit of an odd one but at the moment he's me choice. Strong carrier and good scrummager.
4. Joe Launchbury - possibly England's best player.
5. Paul O'Connell (c) - really hard to pick a secondrow, England are absolutely stacked, we have a few decent ones, there's AWJ and it's a relative area of strength for Scotland. However PO'C is an incredible leader and the bigger the occasion the bigger his performance. Here's how he did the last time he wore a Lions jersey: http://dementedmole.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/lions-first-test-ruck-scores-roundup.png
6. Chris Robshaw - another leader, great hands and so much work
7. Sean O'Brien - he's Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip - probably the call that would be ridiculed by the most people. It's well known that I'm a huge fan. For New Zealand I think he's the best option of those available.
9. Conor Murray - tough call to have him over Care but his partnership with Sexton and superior defenseive work wins it for him.
10. Jonathan Sexton - do I really have to argue this?
11. Georger North - kind of hard to pick anyone ahead of him.
12. Kyle Eastmond - seems somewhat underrated, breaking threat and an excellent passing game.
13. Manu Tuilagi - I think his partnership with Eastmond could be fantastic.
14. Tommy Bowe - great try record, fantastic fielder and has as good a chance as anyone to shackle Savea.
15. Mike Brown - he's a bit tired now but was awesome the rest of the year.

16. Dylan Hartley - Hibbard's gone backwards, I'd love to argue Sean Cronin but no, if Youngs fixed his throwing yes and maybe Webber. For the moment Hartley because of the relative solidity he brings.
17. Alex Corbiesero - clearly this one really involves ignoring the likely injury scenario, imagine being a tighthead and seeing Healy go off for him!
18. Mike Ross - even I'm questioning this, it a really snap decision. Jones and Cole haven't been great when playing imo. Part of the strong scrum off the bench thing I've got going.
19. Dave Attwood - also part of that strong scrum thing. Better at it then Lawes and has proven his impact from the bench.
20. Peter O'Mahony - offers more cover then the host of 8's left out and the likes of Lydiate. Great breakdown work and better lineout operator than any of the starting backrow Tom Wood could be added and it wouldn't really make much of a difference.
21. Danny Care - great way to up the tempo off the bench
22. Dan Biggar - just because
23. Leigh Halfpenny - because he covers fullback and wing. I'd love to put Fitzgerald here but for a variety of reasons that's more unrealistic than anybody else.

10 Irish
10 English
3 Welsh

Absoulutely ridiculous team and never going to happen. If I had to pick it next month I wouldn't pick it again

Head Coach: Joe Schmidt: y'ow he's the best there is
Forwards: Stuart Lancaster: needs to be involved
Scrum Coach: Graham Rowntree: has done some great work
Defense: Les Kiss, Andy Farrell and Shaun Edwards can scrap it out.

1. Cian Healy
2. Best
3. Cole
4. Lawes
5. O'Connell
6. Tom wood
7. Warburton
8. Vunipola

9.murray
10.sexton
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Tuilaigi
14. Halfpenny(Bowe if Farrell at 10)
15. Brown
I know a few are injured at the moment btw

isn't this thread just a hoot n holler !
cheesy-smile.jpg

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best
3. Mike Ross
4. Courtney Lawes
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Kelly Brown
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Billy Vunipola
9. Danny Care
10. Jonathan Sexton *
11. George North
12. Kyle Eastmond
13. Manu Tuilagi
14. Tim Visser
15. Mike Brown

EDIT:
* depending on how shiit goes in the near future (November tours, next 6N) I may have Owen Farrell in stead of Sexton. Already thinking about it now, but I'll go traditional for now.

Last edited:
10. Jonathan Sexton - do I really have to argue this?

Considering how mediocre he's been for his club, and just how hard he choked against the All Blacks....... :p

I kid, I kid. He's probably best bet at the moment....well, apart from our Lord and Saviour
4pyzd3m.jpg

Latest posts