• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

If you were a DOR how would you get around the salary cap?

Scotty

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Exeter
So with all that has been going on with Sarries, Covid-19 and the salary cap reduction how you cheat?

If you were the new DOR and needed to 'stretch' the salary cap how would you do this?

Cant wait to hear your ingenious sneeky master plans to go full Sarries but get away with it! :)

Remind them that they're rugby players and not football/nfl/nba players.
Just because other pro sportsmen earn multi-millions a year doesn't mean that every pro-sportsman can.
Wages are already far more than they should be, in rugby - as evidenced by the majority of clubs running at a loss.

Stop being so righteous! Pretend you a Dick and want to buy Manu(unlucky Tigs btw big loss and bad business by Tigers) as he is just back on the market but your to close to the cap how could you stretch it and not get caught :)

I would go back to what Sarries did before they started to "cheat". Buying cheap foreign players and keep local youth players with a lower salary in the ranks.

Also hope that the foreign Saffa players haven't been internationally capped in an attempt to get them to run out for England because their Colonial Gran who they've never met or even knew were still alive, can give them residency...

It's really not that hard.

Also hope that the foreign Saffa players haven't been internationally capped in an attempt to get them to run out for England because their Colonial Gran who they've never met or even knew were still alive, can give them residency...

Actually I imagine they'd be hoping the opposite, that they've been capped once for South Africa and never will be again. Clubs don't WANT their best players to be away on international weekends

So presumably my club has some money to spend in order to actually go over the salary cap and won't just take out debt.

So with the backing of my Sugar daddy from Qatar or the French Riviera or German mining billionaire I would first set up a front company unrelated to rugby. This company would basically be an equity fund that participates in "projects" you know because we are a group of investors who wants to invest in the community. We will publicly support BLM, LGBTQ+, charity foundations with financial support and all other Popular culture trends, this will help gain popular support for this "philanthropist" foundation. We have many functions to mingle with potential other investors, but We use our powerful backers to start inviting representatives and officials from the league. We start out formally and systematically start befriending them, then we start investing into rugby. (This is all happening on the side of my DOR duties) our front company does most of the work.

Eventually, we will back the election campaigns of the top league officials. We pay them large sums of money for also doing "Philanthropic" work for us, in the public eye. Now, we start to wield influence in boardroom discussions. Any flame of opposition will be pressurised in the public eye by getting proxy parties to make unsubstantiated claims about these officials in the media. We only need to create doubt.

So eventually we pass a backdoor rule in the league that outside companies may carry a portion of the player wages without this contributing to the salary cap. Now we can actually use our wealth.

But it does not end here, we can now abuse the salary cap but we are still scumbags and want to exploit other clubs. So we use our front company to buy players we want
out of their contracts at their current clubs. In rugby this is minimal compared to football. The players is persuaded to be onboard by promising that he will receive that outstanding amount due so essentially the player gets two, three of four years of his contract straight up. A huge financial win for the player. The terms of the agreement is paired with a corporate contract to make the player an ambassador for our philanthropic efforts. The player is only allowed to play rugby for clubs affiliated with our foundation but only for the duration of his corporate contract. The club may then offer the player a small contract that helps budget cap efforts. The player may reject the club but he is not allowed to play for any other club and since we will only target International standard players he will be incentivised to play in this environment.

Im sure someone thought of this already, and found challenges but that's the gist of it, attempt to control the body making the rules so that you can create a backdoor good enough to exploit.

Last edited:

Latest posts