• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

If You Were a National Coach...

<div class='quotemain'> Well okay, Deans gave Stephen Brett a chance when Carter was off at the All Blacks, I mean, he was a good player but no one knew he would step up as much as he did, I suspect Deans will do the same...pick someone who he sees a certain talent in and nurture him...why would he pick much the same players as were beaten in the World Cup? Time to blood some new players instead of just moving the deck chairs around... [/b]

Dont be surprised too if he goes for the Force combo of Gits & MacKay :unsure: .

If given more game time there and stays injury-free, he could be in the mix....but I still think a Gits/Barnes combo is the way.

Like what Fushi said about Barnes being surrounded by a "pretty cruddy team"..come on, the RWC game against Wales should be reason enough to give him another go.....and his defence his first rate. You wont often see him miss tackles easily (like Gits on the weekend for Carter's first try)..
[/b][/quote]

I think if Gits and Barnes were to both start Barnes would probably start at flyhalf with Gits at inside centre (his defence has been pretty sound there)...

I'm not sure about Mackay playing for Australia... he did alright on the weekend but I think he's got a long way to go...

I think if Gits and Barnes were to both start Barnes would probably start at flyhalf with Gits at inside centre (his defence has been pretty sound there)...

I'm not sure about Mackay playing for Australia... he did alright on the weekend but I think he's got a long way to go...
[/b]
I think as the season goes on Gits will grow even more into his role and besides THAT missed tackle his defence has been really good, see the South African games. I think Deans and Mitchell are very much of the same school of thought when it comes to coaching, probably because of thier time together, that Deans will view Gits as a flyhalf, much as Mitchell who never hesitated to play Giteau there...

Mackay as well I am also a bit iffy about, but it will be interesting when he gets more game time how he will go, I mean, in all his time off I assume he would have been put to really developing a rugby brain when he couldn't train, so if he gets his pysical work up, who knows, we could perhaps see a really well developed rugby player come out of him.

Time will tell and I can only hope that Deans revamps the team and isn't afraid to drop players and try something different (I'd call this tri nations a write off if it means we can blood some new players)

thats what i see actually. i can see a noticible force and reds increasement come trinations. the ball simply hasnt been rolling for aust in a while and sometimes its just best to do a massive overhaul. sure its not going to be a force reds squad - but they will be there!

thats what i see actually. i can see a noticible force and reds increasement come trinations. the ball simply hasnt been rolling for aust in a while and sometimes its just best to do a massive overhaul. sure its not going to be a force reds squad - but they will be there!
[/b]

I think the only Reds players worthy are Holmes, Horwill, Cordingley, Barnes and Latham.

And not all of them necessarily for starting positions.

I think despite however they go in the Super 14 the Waratahs should get the least picks.

Their scrum has finally been proven to be terrible. Their backline doesn't have too many strike weapons, and the only thing going for them is their lineout which has been a strength ever since they pinched Vickerman and Harrison from the Brumbies.

I think the backline will definately be dominated by Brumbies and Force players, while the forward pack needs to match some of the Reds tight five with Brumbies loose forwards and add Sharpe and Elsom.

I think the backline will definately be dominated by Brumbies and Force players, while the forward pack needs to match some of the Reds tight five with Brumbies loose forwards and add Sharpe and Elsom.
[/b]
Hopefully by the end of the year we will have Pocock up to his potential or near so, man of the match on the weekend has a Wallaby shirt for sure, hopefully sooner then later.

I think the only Reds players worthy are Holmes, Horwill, Cordingley, Barnes and Latham.

[/b]

so what - 1/4 of the team you mean?

the fact is that the tahs are in the shite. brumbies arnt as superior as they use to be. australian rugby isnt nearly as good as it use to be. deans is going to make sure that the core players are there (getau, mortlock, lathum etc) and then hes going to have a mixure of players with players with a bit of experiance but alot of players who are new to international level - ie force and reds players. if he doesnt have a overthrow of the number takers such as dunning etc he will simply be wasting his time.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

the fact is that the tahs are in the shite. brumbies arnt as superior as they use to be. australian rugby isnt nearly as good as it use to be. deans is going to make sure that the core players are there (getau, mortlock, lathum etc) and then hes going to have a mixure of players with players with a bit of experiance but alot of players who are new to international level - ie force and reds players. if he doesnt have a overthrow of the number takers such as dunning etc he will simply be wasting his time.
[/b][/quote]

As you just quoted me saying - NOT ALL OF THEM NECESSARILY FOR STARTING POSITIONS.

The only definite starters there would be Holmes and Latham, but I do believe the others deseve an opportunity in the Wallabies whether it be on the bench or in the squad as a whole.

As for the Brumbies, we need to wait and see what happens when they get the likes of Mortlock, Ashley-Cooper, etc. back on deck. They've had to blood a number of players this year due to mass injuries and they're still doing ok despite their backline being a shell of the team it could be. They're defensively still pretty solid, and have an excellent mobile forward pack.

I think Latham should not be included in any discussion here since his leaving after the Super14.

I think Latham should not be included in any discussion here since his leaving after the Super14.
[/b]

I was under the impression that he wasn't leaving until after the Tri-Nations.

At the moment though Gerrard is the in form fullback, and that's who I'd pick to replace him unless Shepherd returns to last years form.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

As you just quoted me saying - NOT ALL OF THEM NECESSARILY FOR STARTING POSITIONS.
. [/b][/quote]

15 / 5 = 1/3 of your team

22 / 5 = 1/4ish of your team :)

ok back to more serious issues...

i think that people such as gerrad and ashly cooper will also be in the picture. they have only been on the seen for a couple of years now and will have done enough to impress deans to get a nod in the larger squad for the tri nations at least. like i said before - core players will be kept. the rest will be new and refreshing.

Latest posts