• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I’m doing some market research for university, and my case study is rugby apparel. Any/all responses are much appreciated. Cheers!

TheGreatWhiteRooster

Academy Player
What are some of the issues you or your mates experience in regards to your match kit?

Shirts-

Shorts-

Looking for honest feedback and open discussion.

Last edited:
I was focusing more on match-day attire, but I'm interested to hear your opinions about both.

What are some of the things that really just get under your skin when it comes to your favorite rugby-wears?
Playing kit - a few things.

First the massive difference in sizes between manufacturers. My club changed kit manufactur every other year to get the best deals but I'd end up being a large, then a medium then an x-large etc when I didn't change size really at all. Shorts were the same, I've had the same sizes jeans for about 15 years but rugby shorts are constantly different.

Second thing was the fit of the kits, the super tight kits of later years didn't take into account my 'guns' but then to be fair we had so many different physiques you can't please all.

Overall the kits we had used to wear and wash well. Very rarely ever saw shirt rip.
Shorts I often found too short or too long. But I am/was a lock and only 6' 3 so be average fit.

Leisure wear I find really good in general, loads of choices loads of designs these days and also lots of fits offered (slim, classic etc). Most of my clothes when not at work ate rugby or gym attire. Again only moan would be (A lot of my clothes are Canterbury) but I have medium, large and x-large and XXL tops that are all Canterbury and all fit the same! It's crazy how different the sizes are for the same brand.

Hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions let me know.

For some reason when I put a match day shirt on it seems to stick out at the front!? It's almost like I have a large bulge where my stomach should be. It's gotten worse since the new tighter fitting shirts became more popular. I think it they need to go back to the cotton ones I used to wear in my youth as the bulge never appeared then.

Playing kit - a few things.

First the massive difference in sizes between manufacturers. My club changed kit manufactur every other year to get the best deals but I'd end up being a large, then a medium then an x-large etc when I didn't change size really at all. Shorts were the same, I've had the same sizes jeans for about 15 years but rugby shorts are constantly different.

Second thing was the fit of the kits, the super tight kits of later years didn't take into account my 'guns' but then to be fair we had so many different physiques you can't please all.

Overall the kits we had used to wear and wash well. Very rarely ever saw shirt rip.
Shorts I often found too short or too long. But I am/was a lock and only 6' 3 so be average fit.
I'd agree on all of this and I'm a totally different size/shape to Don't Skip Leg Day (a 5'8 hooker/flanker).

Latest posts