• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"I'm new to playing rugby" questions

F

Flyin Ryan

When can I pick the ball up in a ruck if I'm on defending side? There's some times where I'm in the ruck or near it and see the ball behind the tackled player with no players around it, but I'm unsure on whether I'm allowed to go get it or not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flyin Ryan @ Sep 4 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When can I pick the ball up in a ruck if I'm on defending side? There's some times where I'm in the ruck or near it and see the ball behind the tackled player with no players around it, but I'm unsure on whether I'm allowed to go get it or not.[/b]

1) 1st thing to think about: Is it a ruck?

A 'ruck' is when there is at least one player from each team who is on his feet contesting the ball on the ground.

2) If 'Yes', then you must a) stay on your feet if you enter the ruck and B) keep your hands off the ball. To gain posession you have to ruck/ push your opponent(s) out of the way.

3) If 'No', then you can run in and take the ball. The tackled player must release posession; if he doesn't you should get a penalty. Of course, if another opponent gets there while you're trying to take the ball, then a ruck is formed and you must let go.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Sep 4 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flyin Ryan @ Sep 4 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When can I pick the ball up in a ruck if I'm on defending side? There's some times where I'm in the ruck or near it and see the ball behind the tackled player with no players around it, but I'm unsure on whether I'm allowed to go get it or not.[/b]

1) 1st thing to think about: Is it a ruck?

A 'ruck' is when there is at least one player from each team who is on his feet contesting the ball on the ground.[/b][/quote]

Example from practices I've been having. Guy is tackled on the ground, me and a teammate are pushing him down. Ball is behind him and the scrum half hasn't gotten there yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
2) If 'Yes', then you must a) stay on your feet if you enter the ruck and B) keep your hands off the ball. To gain posession you have to ruck/ push your opponent(s) out of the way.[/b]

So walking over the tackled player/player on the ground would not draw a penalty?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
3) If 'No', then you can run in and take the ball. The tackled player must release posession; if he doesn't you should get a penalty. Of course, if another opponent gets there while you're trying to take the ball, then a ruck is formed and you must let go.[/b]

So pretty much if a guy's on the ground and the scrum half/whoever's acting like scrum half has not arrived, a defender aiming to take the ball is fair game?

If the ball is on the other side of the ruck and appears to be out, you arte allowed to contest it, as it is out of the ruck. Howver i would recommend talking to the ref before the game to establish when he considers the ball to be out of the ruck. Some refs I have had believe the ball is out of the ruck from the moment the ball is touching the opperstions hand, other believe that it is out of the ruck when the ball sees day light. You must make sure you follow when the ref considers the ball is out. If the ball is down on the ground, and a ruck has not formed, where there is a person from the other team contesting the ball then it is a ruck, however if the tackler is down on the ground, and noone from his team is in support, then that ball is yours, so you want to stay on your feet and grab the ball. If the tackled players attempts to hold onto the ball, he will be panalised for not releasing.

Every ref, every coach and every player have different ideas about this. Players like Richie McCaw play as close to the line (in my opinion over the line) as the law allows. It's hard to judge, but the more you play the sport, the more you'll understand. I hate to say that, but rugby is a game where you will get keener over time.
http://www.irblaws.com/EN/laws/4/16/in-the...d-of-play/ruck/
That website is the official law concerning the ruck. Read it, Live it, Love it.
Good Luck. Where are you playing in the US and at what level?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Sep 4 2009, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good Luck. Where are you playing in the US and at what level?[/b]

Thanks for the help everybody.

Raleigh, Mid-Atlantic Division I, I'll be on the 2nd XV.

Latest posts