• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I'm wanting join rugby, but I'm not sure if I can...

Dec21

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Hello guys. I'm new here. Okay, so I'm 17 and dead keen to actually get into recreational rugby when I go off to university. The only problem is that I'm 5'3... 5'4 on a good day. I'm also only 9 stone. I have a strong and robust build... I'm not mean in stature. My dad says I have potential as a hooker... but I'm not sure. I'd love to get into rugby, but I don't know if I should bother because of my size... I just don't really think that I'll perform exceptionally well, or be much of an asset to the team. What do you guys think?

hi and welcome to the forum i believe you should definatly give rugby a go im only 5'11 and 11 and a half stone and play in the backrow haha really if your really keen then why not try and also rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes :)

Yeah I definitely think I will. I'm just hoping I'll actually have some growth!

There's no reason you can't play at all. If you find yourself a bit light hit the pizza hard, but you should be okay.

Hello guys. I'm new here. Okay, so I'm 17 and dead keen to actually get into recreational rugby when I go off to university. The only problem is that I'm 5'3... 5'4 on a good day. I'm also only 9 stone. I have a strong and robust build... I'm not mean in stature. My dad says I have potential as a hooker... but I'm not sure. I'd love to get into rugby, but I don't know if I should bother because of my size... I just don't really think that I'll perform exceptionally well, or be much of an asset to the team. What do you guys think?
One of the best players I've ever played with is around your height and weight.

Not to sound like a whopping idealistic prat but if you set your mind to it you can do anything you want to on the field, so long as you dedicate yourself

Okay thank you:) So are they any work outs I should start doing... what shall I focus on at the gym?

Ball skills Sidestep and tackling , at your size you're never going to be a big player who relys on his strength you need to develop your core skills ,do that by any means possible

Okay thank you:) So are they any work outs I should start doing... what shall I focus on at the gym?

Don't dive straight into the gym. The most important thing is to get your basic skill set in order. Get used to having the ball in hand and work on your tackling. Try to get a good ruck technique too, with your height it may come easier than it would for taller players.

Romain Teulet, one of the top point scorers in French pro rugby, is only 5'5". If you can kick too, that's always a plus.

As Feic said concentrate on skill set first but there is various threads on gym work in the Universitas Forum.

well i have quite a strong neck:) I'll go for it and just pray for more growth. If not I guess I could still try, so it won't be the end of the world.

am only 5,5" and 12 stone but i play flanker. this is because my coaches saw potential and put me in that position if u join ur local rugby club and just explain that u are new to the rugby game. but dont going in saying that u want to be a hooker just say u dont know which position you would best play the coaches will then probably try u in different positions to see what you are like in each one.

mate definitly go and play , your size won't stop you from having a great time... If you can't find a means of working up your handling and skills then by all means hit the gym , but the most essential thing for a player of smaller stature is is how he plays his game

i always use my size an advantage rather than a disadvantage becos during rucks your already low down and when you go for the tackle your low down too meaning you dont have to do as much work as sumone who is 6,7" becos obvisouly they haqve more body to get down.

Firstly, you're only 17. You just may have a growth spurt between now and your early 20s. And you may not. Either way, your height shouldn't hold you back, as others have attested to. Also, there have been several smaller players, even on the international level, and not just forwards. I recall fly half Diego Domínguez (Italian international), who - if I did my math correctly - is only 5'6" and 11 stone. And man, could that kid kick! Just amazing. The late (and great!) Bill McLaren once said of him after a particularly difficult (and successful) kick, "He's a wee bloke with a mighty boot!"

And he sure was. I really miss that 'wee' fella.

das

Last edited:

Latest posts