• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Importing PS3 games

T

toup

Hi all,

Having just bought a PS3, I am quickly getting to grips with my new pride and joy.

Whilst researching, I gathered that the PS3 is region free with all games (so far), so thought I might import a few. It seems to be cheaper and also lets me get hold of ***les earlier, as well as play american sports ***les which don't make it over here.

Videogamesplus.ca ship to the UK for a very small fee, and even new ***les should only set me back about £33 including postage thanks to the wonderful British economy (I can even get Rock Band with all instruments for just over £100...).

Is there any reason why I can't / shouldn't do this? I understand that sometimes the online features may be restricted, but obviously with the US sports ***les I'd be happy playing them offline rather than not at all...

Well, your biggest risk is that a firmware update may come out for your region, which won't work with a US copy.

I have a Japanese (in English obviously) copy of Tiger Woods '08. An update has come out for it, although it's for the Aus/NZ, UK & US copies, so for some reason I don't get it.

It's not just that, but I find a bit more trouble going online to play that particular ***le. Your best to inch your way into this situation. For example, buy only one or two ***les at first and see how they fare and how happy you are with that.

40gb or 60gb model?

40gb sadly... the 60 was sold out everywhere.

I think I'll probably use it more for American sports ***les which I just wouldn't be able to get otherwise - things that come out in the UK will be worth waiting for just to ensure online all works correctly.

Thanks for the advice!

Interested to see that you play Pro Evo 2008. I've got Fifa, (it's only really got good in the last 2-3 years) and I'm considering getting Pro Evo. My only Problem is that I heard it needed an update to play well online. With some updates I haven't always heard great stories about their effectiveness.

I'm keen to hear a TRF opinion, not on the game itself (I know how it plays), but on if the PS3 version plays well after the update. How lag is, for nearish countries and further away.

Finally, I see in the other thread that you have used a save file for names and kits. I've never done that with the PS3. How complete is it as far as making the game more 'official' ?

Well firstly, PES came bundled with my console, but I also own Fifa on the 360. Both are excellent games this year, a really close call for which is better - I think it will mostly come down to personal preference, but I rate both games very highly.

With regard to the save file, it's never going to be as advanced as some of the patches that are released for PC versions, as it is all just changes made in the in-game editor. That said, the attention to detail in the one I'm using (see other thread for details) is pretty impressive, and more than adequate when you're actually in-game.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the pre and post patch situation as obviously I was offered the patch immediately on my first play so don't have any experience of beforehand...

Latest posts