• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

In Need of some help Part 2

Just don't be afraid of tackling a guy, no matter what size he is, dont be afraid to get hurt.

im a county prop at the age of 15 im quite mobile around the park. next season we start lifting i have no time in the week at all to go to a gym and do weights. the reason is i have to much rugby on, i have coursework to do, and i cant get lifts. some excerises for improving strength with little equiment and can be done in my own home would be awesome and also how to make your sprint quicker

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with wigan_rlfc, I say don't take training as seriously as you would a match, take a match as light heartedly as you would training.
Works every time :p
Have fun, it's the only way to win :D

protein bars are good before a game if you find you can't eat much or protein shakes

How can increase my pace? I used to be relativley quick, but I built up a hell of alot of muscle in my legs and now their really big and I think that's why I'm so slow. I'm a hooker, so I don't need to be MEGA quick, but I'm so slow it's not even funny. I do take slow ball mainly, using my size and strength to gain the hard yards but when I make breaks it becomes a problem.

which part of the foot should i use to kick the balll when place kicking, my kicks make the ball travel 2 inches of the ground all the way UNDER the posts, like a soccer shot haha

have u seen the AB video on the website, the one where the ABs prepare for wales, they play this passing game, how does it work

How can increase my pace? I used to be relativley quick, but I built up a hell of alot of muscle in my legs and now their really big and I think that's why I'm so slow. I'm a hooker, so I don't need to be MEGA quick, but I'm so slow it's not even funny. I do take slow ball mainly, using my size and strength to gain the hard yards but when I make breaks it becomes a problem.
[/b]
Do loads of shuttle runs. Get someone to time you and go for a minute running between the tryline and dead ball line. Or you could set up 4 markers and go out to the first and back and so on. If I remember what I read in some magazine middle or long distance running is no use. Although really if you have muscly legs it should improve your pace.

Alright new question: we've played two exhibition matches so far and in most cases my tackling has been rough and effective. Only I'm having trouble getting into position to make the hit from the 10 spot. What I'm saying is that off a set piece or something I try to mark my opposite in such a way that I give the outside only, but I find it's kind of ineffective. Any suggestions as to how I can adjust to a fly half's speed on the outside if he starts drifting out? I've thought of perhaps lining up to give him the inside instead, but other ideas would be good.

I've thought of perhaps lining up to give him the inside instead, but other ideas would be good.
[/b]

Playing as a 10, at set pieces you should be looking to drive your opposite number inside. If necessary line up on his outside shoulder rather than the inside, a subtle metre further out could make all the difference in achieving this.

If you get it right then he should be forced to run right into your backrow, who, if they are any good at their job, should be able to make a more effective tackle and have more chance of forcing a turnover than you on your own.

tackling is all up here in your head.
play more "last man standing". when you look at the runner concentrate on a spot instead of the whole body.

Yeah, that is a good point! That incredibly well-written explanation of goal kicking didnt really help with his problem of place kicking, although it did teach us a lot!

And in regards to the tackling thing from the first post, try joining a league team in the summer, what with defending against all that smash-up-the-field-nearly-every-play ******** is bound to help your tackling.

If your scared of tackling ( like I was - for a time), then what I did was take the man no matter how you did it. Grab onto anything and pull - 8/10 times I did it the man went down, andnot just in the forwards.

In relation to the nutrition question. If you struggle to eat before a game then try and have a bowl of porridge or something about 3 hours before KO. If that's tough try an oat/cereal bar type snack . If you can keep those down have a few. The main point about pre match nutrition is that you need complex carbs and low GI in the hours before a game (slow release foods like oats) and high GI (sugary stuff eg bananas and energy drinks) during and after. If you cant stomach luzozade which is a common problem (and might be the case for you) then just dilute 100% fruit juice with water to make you own sports drink. I make my own and save £100s over a year. Simply need glucose, salt and water. Try this 1/2 cup orange juice, 9 tbs. Sugar, 3/8 tsp Salt, Water to 2 litres. Wont taste quite as good but it would roughly provide the following: 8 oz serving: 14.4 grams carb (6.1%), 104 mg sodium, 28.4 mg Potassium which is more or less the same as Powerade.

Nutrition makes a huge difference to performance. Eg necking a pint of lucazade 2 hours before a game will simply lead to low blood sugar levels come match time. Bananas are a great post exercise snack for replenishing energy supplies but not great beforehand for the same reason.

protein bars are good before a game if you find you can't eat much or protein shakes[/b]

Just to clarify, if it's 100% protein bar then this will be a bit pointless. A mixed protein carb bar is perfect however. Protein does provide energy but carbs (glycogen) is the body's preferred form of energy.

Finally hydration is key. Lots of water before a game and during. Dehydration will pretty make any good nutrition plan worthless

How can increase my pace? I used to be relativley quick, but I built up a hell of alot of muscle in my legs and now their really big and I think that's why I'm so slow. I'm a hooker, so I don't need to be MEGA quick, but I'm so slow it's not even funny. I do take slow ball mainly, using my size and strength to gain the hard yards but when I make breaks it becomes a problem.[/b]

Read my reply in the speed training thread

Latest posts