• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

In the case of advantage stops and play restarts, time also should be reversed

sigesige00

Bench Player
When the rules are broken, the match official...

Stops the game if letting play continue will not help the other team. The rule breakers are penalised.​
Allows play to continue if there is a possibility that the other team may benefit. If the other team does benefit, play just continues as if the rules have not been broken. If the other team does not benefit, play stops and is restarted at the place where the rules were broken. The rule breakers are penalised.

But this is not enough. When play restarts from the point of foul, game time also must be back to the time when foul was committed. Without this, the foul side could have a much benefit by killing time.

Please tell me your opinion.:huh:

Last edited:
RUiPw4D.gif

In the case of knock-on and throw-forward advantage, "advantage over" must be immediately declared when the opponent side possesses the ball.

You can't reverse time sigesige, study your ****ing special relativity.

It actually does make sense, the time should go back to the infringement. However, in practice it would be too pedantic most of the time, and in the case of the last second of a close match, the team still gets to make the play when they go back to the scrum or penalty. so it's probably fine the way it is. We don't really need more laws do we?

Its another of of sigesige's silly ideas.

However, one thing I would like to see trialled is when a team has penalty advantage, if they kick for touch and the ball goes directly into touch, then they have the option of just taking the lineout where it went into touch with their throw in, just as if they had kicked for touch from a penalty.

Personnally i think the advantage law is often held for too long, for me the advantage is regaining the ball and if then you make a mistake the ref goes back to the original fault, often the scrum half placed the ball on the ground saying lets have the penalty which i think is a good idea, the problem is how long can the advantage last and different refs have different ideas so i think it will not change that much, but often its minutes wasted and energy lost as so often we come back to the original fault

Personnally i think the advantage law is often held for too long, for me the advantage is regaining the ball and if then you make a mistake the ref goes back to the original fault, often the scrum half placed the ball on the ground saying lets have the penalty which i think is a good idea, the problem is how long can the advantage last and different refs have different ideas so i think it will not change that much, but often its minutes wasted and energy lost as so often we come back to the original fault

Hold on... I thought advantage being played was based on phases or metres gained?? For instance, if it's a scrum advantage, (knock-on/forward pass/not straight feed into the line out) the ref will play advantage for 2 phases, and if the team with the ball does advance, then advantage is over, or he'll blow the whistle and revert to the scrum as there was no advantage gained?

When it's a penalty advantage, the ref gives it the movement of 10 metres forwards for the advantage to be played and if not, revert back to the penalty spot...

Surely the refs can't have "Different ideas"??

Referees appear to play different lengths of advantage because there are two different types of advantage.

"Scrum advantage" is for an infringement that would have been a scrum; almost always a knock on or a forward throw. With a scrum advantage, the referee needs only see that the team with the advantage have a cleared the ball with a similar degree of tactical freedom to that which they might have got from a scrum.

"Penalty advantage"
is for an infringement that would have resulted in a penalty, With a penalty advantage, the referee needs to see that the team with the advantage have a clear advantage, both tactically and territorial. The team will have to have gained at least as much territory as they would have from a penalty on the mark. A team that receives advantage within about 30-40m of the opposing goal-line just about have to score before advantage is over.

Hold on... I thought advantage being played was based on phases or metres gained?? For instance, if it's a scrum advantage, (knock-on/forward pass/not straight feed into the line out) the ref will play advantage for 2 phases, and if the team with the ball does advance, then advantage is over, or he'll blow the whistle and revert to the scrum as there was no advantage gained?

When it's a penalty advantage, the ref gives it the movement of 10 metres forwards for the advantage to be played and if not, revert back to the penalty spot...

Surely the refs can't have "Different ideas"??

When i said different ideas i meant the lengh of time allowed for the advantage to carry, in France this is not always an equal time throughout, as phases do not mean ground gained every time. if there is a fault then the ref blows and they go back to the original fault but if not it can be quite long in fact too long sometimes, hope this clears up my statement...............

Latest posts