• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

In what way is Sam Warburton superior to Justin Tipuric?

PacDuran

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I'm obviously not a Welshman so I would much rather Ireland was facing a team with Warburton as 7 rather than Tipuric. Why the hell is this McCaw-level open side languishing on the bench? Gatland has already tacitly admitted that Tips is a better 7 than Warburton by shifting Warburton to 6 for a recent match, so why not go the whole hog and give the Captain's arm band to Alun Wyn Jones, where it belongs, and put Tips in the 7 jersey?

We are being deprived of seeing the play of one of the great 7s here by unadventurous selection policies, and thus, we could well be deprived of Tipuric in the Lions squad as the 1st choice number 7, as he most definitely should be. I will be apoplectic if Warburton lines up for the Lions as the 1st choice openside instead of the great Justin Tipuric.

Can a Welshman describe to me the thought process here? Is it a case of Warburton making himself undroppable due to his captain's armband?

I'm obviously not a Welshman so I would much rather Ireland was facing a team with Warburton as 7 rather than Tipuric. Why the hell is this McCaw-level open side languishing on the bench? Gatland has already tacitly admitted that Tips is a better 7 than Warburton by shifting Warburton to 6 for a recent match, so why not go the whole hog and give the Captain's arm band to Alun Wyn Jones, where it belongs, and put Tips in the 7 jersey?

We are being deprived of seeing the play of one of the great 7s here by unadventurous selection policies, and thus, we could well be deprived of Tipuric in the Lions squad as the 1st choice number 7, as he most definitely should be. I will be apoplectic if Warburton lines up for the Lions as the 1st choice openside instead of the great Justin Tipuric.

Can a Welshman describe to me the thought process here? Is it a case of Warburton making himself undroppable due to his captain's armband?

i think its just his ability over the ball, tipuric has a great all-round game and is great at getting turnovers but can be easily cleared out at the breakdown. if sam is over the ball its rare that he can be budged and gatland loves big lads who can put in the big hits in defence.

dont get me wrong, id love tipuric to start more as he is just class but theres just no room at the moment, unless lydiate gets injured. i think the only reason sam is shifted to 6 is because he more suited to a 6 than tipuric is, otherwise tipuric would slot into lydiates place. he is a definitive 7 where as sam can play both

Warbs is a great openside in his own right. He's a far more physical player than Tips, offering us an extra ball carrying option (we don't have many in the pack). He's a very explosive player, and that's been important to us.

I'd still love to see Tips starting, as he's a phenomenally talented player. Shifting Sam to 6 is a no brainer for me, but Gat's puts a lot of emphasis on having a balanced backrow, and in his mind Lydiate offers that balance.

I think Tipurics time will come, whether or not it's under Gatland remains to be seen.

Warbs is a great openside in his own right. He's a far more physical player than Tips, offering us an extra ball carrying option (we don't have many in the pack). He's a very explosive player, and that's been important to us.

I'd still love to see Tips starting, as he's a phenomenally talented player. Shifting Sam to 6 is a no brainer for me, but Gat's puts a lot of emphasis on having a balanced backrow, and in his mind Lydiate offers that balance.

I think Tipurics time will come, whether or not it's under Gatland remains to be seen.

what would have been interesting, if lydiate had stayed in france for another contract, do you think he would have fallen under RSA (gatlands law) so then we could very well have had sam at 6 and tips at 7 for every game. as dont think we have another blindside with the quality of lydiate.

Tipuric sounds like a condiment while Warburton sounds like a weapon of destruction...

Warburton wins.

Warburton went to school in England therefore due to the Englishness that has rubbed off on him, he is better in every way.

Tipuric is a fine player, no question, but is he a leader of men, Warburton is a leader , he's been into the Lions den and come away with the prize (although as that prize is likely to be a quarter final with the Boks its safe to say it's a booby prize.)
Sometimes in rugby you end up with two excellent players in the same position and invariably one ends up getting all the game time, and when that one is a captain it's even harder for the player bubbling under.
Perhaps against Aussie they should play Warburton at 6 and JT at no.7 to counter the two Aussie sniffers with two Welsh sniffers.

Tipuric is a fine player, no question, but is he a leader of men, Warburton is a leader , he's been into the Lions den and come away with the prize (although as that prize is likely to be a quarter final with the Boks its safe to say it's a booby prize.)
Sometimes in rugby you end up with two excellent players in the same position and invariably one ends up getting all the game time, and when that one is a captain it's even harder for the player bubbling under.
Perhaps against Aussie they should play Warburton at 6 and JT at no.7 to counter the two Aussie sniffers with two Welsh sniffers.

it is a shame we have this dilema, warburton may have lead the lions to a series victory but in the decider it was a certain Alun Wyn Jones that was captain for that match due to warburton being injured, and he did a fine job. should sam ever lose his form (he has some quiet games, but never bad IMO) then we might well see tips replace him and the captancy given to AWJ, many welsh fans think he would do a better job than sam as captain although i am still on the fence.

although it looks like Hooper will be banned, would we then go for the juggler by still selecting 2 opensides? i hear Macmahon is a more than able replacement though. lydiate might be still injured so the only option we may have is to move sam to 6 and tips at 7 as per your comment. in a way its a shame hooper is going to get banned (possibly deserved it although not found of mike brown myself, seems like a right cock) as would have loved to see a Pooper vs Warburic battle

Please for the love of god just chuck these in match threads..

Not every new thought you have PacDuran requires a new thread..

Over the ball Warburton is better, plus huge work rate, physically stronger, leadership qualities, good working relationship with refs. And while AW Jones is a terrific leader also, the armband is on the right man IMO. Tipuric has better all-round skills (passing, game vision and dexterity) and is a better runner. Both wonderful players and to be honest the cog in the machine is Lydiate, not Warburton. Warbs and Faletau both play well with Lydiate's game and Tipuric playing so well I think actually results in a lot of people underestimating Lydiate a bit. Tipuric is a supremely talented player, but a lot of his best/most showy work often comes in towars the tail end of a game when it opens up, hence his role as an impact sub. It's a shame but it's testament to the quality we have in the back row at the moment. Bottom line is Wales are always confident of having 4 superb back row players get gametime every game. And that's not a bad position to be in.

Please for the love of god just chuck these in match threads..

Not every new thought you have PacDuran requires a new thread..

There are very few threads created in this site. It is a public forum so why not have a good old chin wag?

I think Gatland is using Tips and Charteris to turn the screw at around 60/65 minutes in.

The thought is clearly stay in the game, then when the fitness you almost killed yourself to achieve starts to tell... Charteris comes on to dominate both defensive and offensive mauls, and Tips feeds of the loose scraps that a (hopefully) fatigued opposition coughs up.

ps and yes WRU I am available in 2019.

I think Gatland is using Tips and Charteris to turn the screw at around 60/65 minutes in.

The thought is clearly stay in the game, then when the fitness you almost killed yourself to achieve starts to tell... Charteris comes on to dominate both defensive and offensive mauls, and Tips feeds of the loose scraps that a (hopefully) fatigued opposition coughs up.

ps and yes WRU I am available in 2019.

It certainly has worked if that is the plan. Tipuric is a menace at every breakdown though. If I was a coach I wouldn't pass that up I would have him balls to the wall for 80 mins. I am not the international coach though.

Wales are blessed to have such a wealth of talent at flanker and lock.
Look at England, a big strong pack but bereft of speed at the breakdown and it has cost them so very dearly.
Aussie and Wales really understand the importance of the breakdown and they both have superb ammunition for the contact area in their player base.
Better than any other teams at the tournament.

I'm so glad these two teams made it through the group of death on merit because they both play really attractive rugby.
Also, I agree with a previous poster who wrote that Mike Brown is a nob. What is with his hissy fits every game now?
Outside of Twickenham he may well have found himself in the bin. He comes across like a spoilt brat soccer lout.

Wales are blessed to have such a wealth of talent at flanker and lock.
Look at England, a big strong pack but bereft of speed at the breakdown and it has cost them so very dearly.
Aussie and Wales really understand the importance of the breakdown and they both have superb ammunition for the contact area in their player base.
Better than any other teams at the tournament.

I'm so glad these two teams made it through the group of death on merit because they both play really attractive rugby.
Also, I agree with a previous poster who wrote that Mike Brown is a nob. What is with his hissy fits every game now?
Outside of Twickenham he may well have found himself in the bin. He comes across like a spoilt brat soccer lout.

the breakdown is going to be crazy on saturday especially if tips and warburton play. whats the chances of Aus playing another openside at 7 instead of hooper rather than shifting pocock to 7 and playing a number 8?

regarding mr.brown, im suprised that he didnt get cited for shoving hoopers head into the ground in retaliation. it was quite quick as well so not sure wether it was an open hand or a fist

Latest posts