• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Increasing armpower

B

bates

Hi guys,

The local pool is closing for maintenance and I want to work on my arm muscles.
I never really worked out with weights, but for the moment I have two weights of 10 kg here.

Any good advice on how many times I should lift them and the amount of series.

Thnx in advance.

I'm assuming they're dumbells and 10kgs is a good weight. I'm no expert but I workout regularly about 4 times a week. I do arm curls but not full ones I do 7 halfway then 7 from halfway position to full then finish it off with 7 full extended ones.

Take a look at this video this is what I was trying to describe

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=C07WgWSY4LI

Everything you do, do it niceeeeeeee and sloooooooooowwwwwww so you feel the burn, then speed up and slow down again.

Forgot to say that you have to rest your muscles to gain because when you workout you're tearing your muscle fibre then when you rest them they reattach forming stronger bigger muscles.

A good idea is to workout every 2nd day Mon,Wed,Fri then maybe a light workout Sat or Sun depending on how active you are during the weekends. This way you have recovery days in between and your muscles won't fatigue too much because over working them can be just as bad as not working them.

Also try to eat a bit more because if you have no fat to burn your workout will start stressing your muscle and you'll actually lose muscle rather then gain.

Thnx for the great tips guys.
How many times should I repeat this?

I was thinking of spending 30 - 60 min every time I would work out as this is the time I spend in the pool.
I also do 50 Push ups before breakfast every morning so I already have some arm muscles

Thnx for the great tips guys.
How many times should I repeat this?

I was thinking of spending 30 - 60 min every time I would work out as this is the time I spend in the pool.
I also do 50 Push ups before breakfast every morning so I already have some arm muscles

Do Not Just Do Curls. That'd be pointless. It only works out your biceps. You, and everyone else on here, need to start seeing the body for what it is. It's not just your arms, it's your biceps, triceps, forearms and shoulders.
Since you only have a light weight, I'd recommend doing the lifts shown on the following page (only the ones using dumbells, obviously).
http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/upperbod.html
That will get your upperbody and arms in shape. Continue these even after the pool opens up, and then look to add some lower body stuff as well.

Good luck and PM me with any questions.

Was there not a case of one of the New Zealanders (Jerry Collins I think) having to reduce the size of his biceps because they started to impede his ability to tackle correctly.

Not sure if it has any relevance to this topic, but I'll never have another chance to throw in that particularly useless piece of information.

While they do look good when they are fully developed, to tell you the honest of goods truth the arms are probably the least important muscle group to work because firstly, you work your arms with every exercise you do.... if your working shoulders, back, chest, doing olympic lifts, chinups, pullups, any exercise you work your arms therefore they should be concentrated on the least... your real power will come from a strong core aka back, abdominals, and legs....

If you want to get bigger I would suggest going to a gym and asking a trainer for a program they can tailor them to your specific needs... simply working your arms is useless

Thnx guys

I started the thread because sometimes when playing b-ball, rugby or Volleyball I feel that I need to give that little extra for long shots, passes etc...

I'll do the work outs that you recommanded and hope to see a result in 3-4 months.

If your looking for that extra distance use a weighted rugby ball. Unfortunately big arms dont mean big distance. Im pretty small, and when it comes to distance of a golf ball, or speed of a baseball, im usually at the top(though I rarely play either).

Golf and Baseball use completely different muscles to Rugby, big arms don't mean anything, look at George Gregan and Berrick Barnes, what really matters is that you work at it so passing is flawless, big arms are more use to forwards and centers, as they have to control the ball while breaking through tackles and getting hit on the blind side.

I see, but I did say I wanted to work on my arm muscles to increase power, not to have two big arms.
Anyway I started yesterday with the schedule O' Rothlain proposed and it was very nice

Latest posts