• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Injury Advice

bignose

Academy Player
Country Flag
Great Britain
Club or Nation
Wales
Hey Guys - first 7s tournament of the year for me tomorrow, and with it the now seemingly inevitable hamstring pull!

As I've got older (now 33!) I've had frequent pulls during the 15s season, although touchwood I've been OK for the past 8 month or so. But 7s tournaments for me have become a virtual no go as I consistently manage to injure myself. I can only assume it has something to do with the stopping and starting, 14 minutes of sprinting around followed by an hour or so of waiting for the next game, and repeat.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I've had various advice - some say to just rest and sit still between games, others say to keep mobile and moving about, or do I keep a stretch on? Keep the legs warm and wrapped up, or put some ice on them?

Any help would be well received!

Matt

I'm sure some other members will be able to give some more hamstring specific advice (my areas of expertise are shoulders, ankles and migraines <_<)

However, if you're having recurring problems it's probably best to see a physiotherapist. Find a good one and you'll be able to work at the problem and hopefully prevent it before it happens again!

I'm by no means an expert in hamstrings etc. but I'd get a real good stretch on before and after every game. I'd try to keep warm in between games (literally, as in put on some tracksuit bottoms or something) and muscularly (don't sit down for the whole rest) as you don't want them to tighten up, which will cause problems in the games.

Ice them after the whole day, as it'll aid recovery, but I'd avoid doing it during the day unless you feel a twinge etc. - and make sure you warm up thoroughly again afterwards.

Apparently if you lie on the ground and get someone to shake your legs out after every match it'll help a good bit.

usually fast remedies for muscle aches and all are cold compresses i am just not that quite sur if it will work for ppulls as well but that should do the trick to ease up the pain as cold can be a fast rememdy to numb some pain if you experience that. its best though that you get some good physical therapist give your hamstrings a check before you get to another game because you might severe it more by doing your self-helpo remedies as it depends on the expent of it. goodluck on your game though!

Latest posts