• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Injury

nnmharmon

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
Last summer I started playing rugby with Snake River Rugby in Boise, ID, USA. I practiced for about 3 months then got the opportunity to go to a tournament outa state. In my first match I tackled someone and was caught under their body. I was pushed off the ball and my ankle folded in half. It tore all the tendons and cost me around 5,000 after ins. Now I am afraid to start playing again. Every time I watch a match I just picture legs breaking. How do I over come this? Is there a way to tackle that will save me next time? And is there a way to be tackled that will save me?

Thanks,

Nick

It sounds like you were incredibly unlucky getting caught so badly first time out. It sounds like a bit of a freak injury truth be told, so I wouldn't worry too much about technique, probably worth having a chat with your coaches about it if you get the chance though.

As to getting back playing, if you're uncomfortable with contact it would probably be a good idea to ease yourself back in through a bit of touch rugby and then maybe some 7's. That should help you build back up some confidence about being out on the rugby pitch without putting yourself in much danger of suffering a serious injury.

Welcome to the Forum!

I think you need to dive straight in (obviously with strapping) I personally broke my tooth yesterday and played a match today. It's barely hanging on and I was getting quiet nervous before but I was ok.

As said it sounds like a freak accident unless your technique is absolutely terrible that really shouldn't be at risk of happening again.

Thanks that gives me confidence. Unfortunately I moved outa state and there are no teams within 3 hours so I will be starting a local 7's team. So I can't talk to a coach. I really appreciate the comments.

You could also try to strengthen the smaller muscles in your body and focus on your ankles as it will give you more balance and will make running easier and you won't get as much cramp in the calf/shin area...

try balance exercises where you can focus on the ankles, like standing on a half exercise-ball and doing leg raises...

Also do proper stretching, the simplest way of strengthening your ankles is stretching, it will also loosen the muscles to prevent it from getting hurt.

Latest posts