• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Interest to Rugby in Russia.

G

gunner2008

I like clubs of New Zealand, the championship of England is interesting. In Russia of Rugbybadly develops in the absence of the information. But after display on TV of matches of the Cup of 6 nations popularity has started to rise. Also in a cup of the European nations Russia has appeared on 2 place, and on the first Georgia.
What national team more imposes you? Russia or Georgia?

Excuse for errors in the text

I like clubs of New Zealand, the championship of England is interesting. In Russia of Rugbybadly develops in the absence of the information. But after display on TV of matches of the Cup of 6 nations popularity has started to rise. Also in a cup of the European nations Russia has appeared on 2 place, and on the first Georgia.
What national team more imposes you? Russia or Georgia?

Excuse for errors in the text
[/b]

Georgia were quite impressive in the world cup, they nearly beat Ireland.

The way Russia will improve initially is if your best talents go and play for teams in England/ France/ Italy etc, in serious competition.

Georgia is a physically strong side...they have some decent player in top 14...

Russia was a very good side just after the WWII.

Italy has always suffered face the russians in Moscow in the '50,'60, and '70....but since the '80 everything has changed....

If i remember well, we beated Russia in Moscow by 60 points in 2007 for WC qualifiers just before beating Portugal by 80.

If they begin with a developing program and then get the WC pools, popularity could raise and they could really improve their rugby.

Georgia. the russians better start picking up rugby quick because the georgian prime minister has set plans to build rugby stadiums to build the interest..

This year at Russia it is a lot of victories: the Exit in EURO 2008, UEFA CUP, in basketball CSKA took a cup 4, the World championship on hockey, such dung as EUROVISION, but in Rugby football of successes while is not present.... It is a pity

i think if russia keep developing the way there are they could become a good team. they are very strong and pyhsical and i think they could give georgia a run for their money

i saw a russian pro/semi pro team playing against Leinster A a few weeks back, they were big boys and looked pretty fit but they're back play was abismal and the A team smashed 'em. They were from Krasnoyarsk, i think in Siberia, seemingly it's a rugby hotbed. that's where Ireland played their world cup qualifier for RWC 2003.

still, wouldn't mind a shot at semi pro rugby in russia, can't be much different to Canada or USA

Yesterday, Russia lost 19-23 to Uruguay in IRB Nations Cup. Uruguay took the lead first, with 6-0, after that Russia change the lead with 19-9 but Uruguay has benefit a penalty try, converted, and scored another try (transforme) just before the end.

Russia (Soviet Union/USSR) has always been a hotbed for sports talent.

You name the sport and they probably have a team in it that is professional and good at it. I have seen some of the progress in the 7's team and they have talent, but as mentioned before some of their mindset on backplay doesn't seem to produce results.

Georgia are the probably the best of the Soviet Union countries, but Moldova are coming along nicely and Ukraine are also established as are Russia. As i was saying in the Germany thread, they need to break into a top class European league and more will follow. Shugay looked useful in the 7's especially.

Problem is that there are few leagues in Europe that are actually completely pro, so the development is much slower than that of say, Basketball of which goes without saying that Russia are great at.

@ Gunner - Didn't Russia win Eurobasket 2007 as well?

I think if an Oligarch or three got ahold of Russian Rugby, they could transform it to the next level I think.

Russia v Germany in the RWC - flames, bombs, rockets and slaughter: good rugby. But not as good as Ireland v England, Croke Park 2007.

Hello everybody
Thanks for your good words and positives about my team of Georgia
and actually we take pride of our guys who add more and more to their play
What about Russia their progress in on face and we Georgians wish them all good
But meanwhile we aren't going to look for someone's money as been told up there
Interest to rugby gained in my country since early days of Georgian rugby union creation in 1961
and also I agree mates about the fact that Georgia's play is the most fascinating among the post USSR countries (despite my greatest respects to all others and especially to Romania) and we are just to add in future than to lose.
Cheers

Russia v Germany in the RWC - flames, bombs, rockets and slaughter: good rugby. But not as good as Ireland v England, Croke Park 2007. [/b]

Oh I don't know, Ireland vs England at Croke Park was quite nice and marked a watershed in Anglo-Irish relations I thought. Everything screamed "nice" about that night, even after the game too I think I saw BOD personally commending David Strettle on his debut.

As LeksoRugby said, Rugby has always been a traditional favourite and if theres more money being pumped into it then it'll only get bigger, not only in Georgia but across the former Soviet/Warsaw Pact Bloc.

You say such words that I can't oppose you mate
it is real that money and interest investment in sports (and in everything of course :D ) adds more than harms this area
Well we are fond of rugby here in Georgia and numerous families bring their sons to rugby schools (which are in a poor financial position yet unfortunately) to let coaches and teammates to learn their children how to be a real mas of honor
this is what I want to tell you my friends
rugby is rugby everywhere

yeahthey have a good staff, and especially in recent years when French Claude Sorrel came in Russia, person who built up much of Georgian rugby. But Russians to get RWCs must overcome Georgia, Romania and Portugal that is seemengly impossible YET! I remember what a fire they have brought to our rugby players in Krasnoyarsk in a match for the champions ***le of FIRA AER NEuropean Nations Cup 2008 despite their 18:12 loss they are becoming stronger everyday so I think soon Russians will get RWCs and bring their though character to other teams
We Georgians as their neighbours and friends wish them all the best in future :cheers:

Why is Russia never in the World Cup? Im sure theyre better than Namibia etc. [/b]
They're never in the world cup because they are beatren in the qualifying stages by teams that are better than them at the time.

Russia are a handy side, however you must look at the other nations whom occupy the region they are in for RWC qualifying...Georgia, Uruguay, Romania. All very strong teams.

aaaaam YEAH it is the case with Russians for example they were lost fdrom qualifyings for RWC 2007 even earlier than expected by Portugal, who became the bird of prey for Georgia, later Portugal went to Africa (such a complicated qualifyings have lowers to go through) and managed to overcome some African teams and went to RWC 2007
Russia as I said is gaining strenght and I think they will soon be capable to move to RWCs but of course Romania and Georgia aren't sleepin' not only Russia adds to play but We ALSO :cheers:

I only saw the Georgian team preform during the WRC.
They played some nice Rugby.
Concerning Russia: No idea

Georgians dominee on FIRA AER european nations cup along with Romania that's the way other teams are a bit under the shade
Georgia was second in final standings on IRB nations Cup 2008 after Emerging RSA and Romania third while Russia lost all of the games played and went home with the last result

IMG_0730.jpg

Cheers

Latest posts