• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Interesting Article - 1995 RWC Final - 20 years on.

Coming at this from another angle, I'm not a bookie, but I have a reasonable understanding of the industry. To me, the story of the bookie who stood to lose his shirt seems an unlikely one. What bookie in their right mind would leave themselves big red on a side like New Zealand? If it was the Ivory Coast (or slightly more plausibility England - patriotic bets and all that) who had made a run to the final it would be slightly more plausible, but still bad business. If he was big red on New Zealand at any time, why didn't he lay off his exposure?

I'm not trying to say that there wasn't some form of skulduggery - it seems highly likely. However, if nobody got to the bottom of it when it happened, it seems highly unlikely that anyone will 20 years down the line. What did the team doctor have to say about this at the time? Surely he should at least have been able to say what the complaint the camp were suffering with at the time was, which would in turn have made to easier to try to determine the source of the problem.

The win did more for South African culture and people where as it was just for novelty for us. It was important they won, given the apartheid issues etc. I tend to not feel so aggrieved about this loss and the fact that they managed Lomu well.

Last edited:

Latest posts