• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

interesting new injury preventions

manch_lad

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Does anybody know what the blue strips are that are appearing on players hamstrings and quads. They look a bit elasticated but seem to made out of some waxy material.

cheers

I have been wondering this too. Can someone quickly find out and tell me...

Yeah I saw this too in the weekend on Manu Vatuvei's hamstring.

It looked like a long strip of blu-tac.

These strips of tape are called Kinisthetic tape (or Kinesio tape) and can be stretched to a limit (i.e. 10%, 25%, 50% or full) whereby the muscle and/or tendon it attaches to stretches with it (allowing it a fuller range of movement).
They are usually used in areas where an athlete is carrying an injury, and the strip of tape 'lifts' the skin and fat off of the muscle so it can function more freely.
They can go from the origin to the insertion of the muscle for certain things, depending on what help is needed, or they can go the other way.
They won't necessarily help a muscle to become super strong if used, but they will usually restore an injured muscle to relatively strong state.

On the thread subject, i've seen rugby players taking a "dip" into an ice bath. They stay there for about 1-2 hours. This method has definetly helped in preventing injuries and extends the duration of a players participation in games.

Ice is magical, i swear
I pulled a muscle in my stomach and it was agony to move, i couldn't lie on my back in bed because i couldn't straight my body as it tugged at the muscle, i was told to ice it and it felt almost better about three sessions later (ice for 30mins every two hours)

This stuff is pretty amazing. We had some stuff down the club and it was pretty fantastic.

Latest posts